Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   How did you become a cc instructor (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/how-did-you-become-cc-instructor-55418/)

BullseyePrecision 01-13-2012 04:09 PM

How did you become a cc instructor

If you are an instructor I was wandering what you had to do to become one.

G30USMC 01-13-2012 04:26 PM

You attend a course (the NRA pistol instructor course is 17 hours/2 days), demonstrate proficiency with the firearms and pass a couple of written tests then wait 4-6 weeks for your certification to arrive in the mail. At that point you are good to go.

BullseyePrecision 01-13-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G26love
You attend a course (the NRA pistol instructor course is 17 hours/2 days), demonstrate proficiency with the firearms and pass a couple of written tests then wait 4-6 weeks for your certification to arrive in the mail. At that point you are good to go.

Did you have to take anything before you could take the instructor course?

gwk4667 01-13-2012 09:09 PM

It is my understanding that before the NRA will allow you to take any course to train in a dicipline you first have to take the course you want to train in.

With an NRA CC course you will have to have completed Introduction to firearms then the concealed carry course then the instructor course to teach CC

This is very simple and is a good requirment to make sure the NRA instructors are qualified!

A couple of hoops to jump thru but good basic training!

G30USMC 01-13-2012 09:21 PM

To teach CC courses you have to take the NRA Basic Pistol Course and preferably Home Defense........ To answer your question you have to find a NRA counselor in your area and they will certify you in the area you wish to become certified in.

big_bad_kitty 01-13-2012 10:25 PM

The absolute minimum a few years back when I became certified to teach TX CHL courses was the NRA Basic Handgun course from an NRA Training Counselor. Then the instructor portion of the Basic Pistol course was an additional day. Then DPS in Austin required the instructors to attend a one week course in Austin and on the last day you were required to qualify on the DPS range north of town. I do not believe this process has changed in TX since I became certified. I did attend additional NRA classes and am certified to teach any NRA Classes except black powder courses. Each subject area required an additional class from a Training Counselor and additional fees to the NRA. Not quick and certainly not cheap but valuable pertinent information. I am glad I did it even though it took almost a year and a substantial investment.

:) :) :)

BullseyePrecision 01-14-2012 02:07 AM

Is it the same in kansas?

big_bad_kitty 01-14-2012 02:16 AM

I do not know for sure but if your DPS certifies their CHL instructors I would assume it is close to the same training. First the Basic Handgun from NRA and then the Instructor portion from NRA and finally the class of instruction from your DPS. Just my guess but I will bet it is very similar to TX requirements.

BullseyePrecision 01-14-2012 03:02 AM

What is dps?

big_bad_kitty 01-14-2012 03:31 AM

Department of Public Safety - State Troopers