Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How dangerous are State Parks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How dangerous are State Parks?

Recently they passed in several states that one can carry concealed in State Parks, and I intend to carry concealed whenever I'm able.

I haven't researched this, but what is the history of crime in State Parks? Is there any high rate of certain types of assault related crimes in certain parks in the nation? Is there a certain criminal trend in State Parks, and other Parks including National parks in general?

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I love state parks; that's where i play disc golf. At my favorite Memphis-area park, i did find myself keeping a watchful eye for people without discs.

I don't know the statistics, but if i wanted to kidnap, molest, etc. somebody, i would think a tent in a sparsely populated rural area wouldn't be too challenging. I would think property crimes would be lower, but violent crimes might be high.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Just keep an eye out for Yogi and BooBoo when you get off the beaten path. They are the four legged thugs in them neck of the woods, along with the Courgar and wolf gangs. They are at the top of the list for assaults and crimes in most State Parks, more than the two-legged variety.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Where I live there are lots of long trails that go miles into the woods. If someone was out there with bad itentions they wouldn't have to worry about witnesses.
It's enough of a concern for me that I would carry always!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #5

I found this 2008 report from the Washington Post: Crime in National Parks - washingtonpost.com

This report only goes up to 2002:

http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/pdf/t3115.pdf

I'm suspicious about the figures, I really suspect they should be higher for murder. Google 'list of homicides at state parks' and a plethora of sites will come up. Granted some bodies are just dumped there, but there are quite a few articles of random murders.

Last year there was this poor girl killed by a drifter in a park:

Autopsy: Ga. hiker died of head injury - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

I like to go camping but I am always fully aware that parks are a great place for transients to stay. And, if they're not murdering, they're doing this: Maine man admits crawling in outhouse pit for the second time | StarTribune.com

Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Just keep an eye out for Yogi and BooBoo when you get off the beaten path. They are the four legged thugs in them neck of the woods, along with the Courgar and wolf gangs. They are at the top of the list for assaults and crimes in most State Parks, more than the two-legged variety.

Jack
Would my Glock 27 .40S&W do the trick against these wild cats and dogs? I hope so.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8313 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

How dangerous? Varies immensely by the park and the state.

However, many are VERY remote, and if you encounter someone with bad intentions, it is a L O N G way to help.

Boy Scouts have the right idea. Be prepared.

And yes, there have been assualts, rapes, murders, kidnappings, and armed robberies in both State & National parks. Here in VA, if you have a concealed license, you have been able to legally carry in a state park for some time.

4 legged critters do not concern me to the extent that 2 legged rats do.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:48 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have camped State parks for many years , most people there are fine folks . However there is nothing to stop the not so nice from being there . I always carry , besides , we have black bears prowling ours .

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 AM   #9

I hike in a local state park, only thing I was ever worried about was 2-legged and their canines. Bears here too, but never had one do anything but scatter when they saw me.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #10

If a person is in a local state park, and they have to open fire on a 2-legged monster (canines, ect.), how would that play out? in court? Would a park ranger be responding after hearing gun shots? I was just wondering. I was trying to think to myself how everything would play out.