Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   How dangerous are State Parks? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/how-dangerous-state-parks-18090/)

sausn2002 09-15-2009 05:25 PM

How dangerous are State Parks?

Recently they passed in several states that one can carry concealed in State Parks, and I intend to carry concealed whenever I'm able.

I haven't researched this, but what is the history of crime in State Parks? Is there any high rate of certain types of assault related crimes in certain parks in the nation? Is there a certain criminal trend in State Parks, and other Parks including National parks in general?:confused:

orangello 09-15-2009 05:50 PM

I love state parks; that's where i play disc golf. At my favorite Memphis-area park, i did find myself keeping a watchful eye for people without discs.

I don't know the statistics, but if i wanted to kidnap, molest, etc. somebody, i would think a tent in a sparsely populated rural area wouldn't be too challenging. I would think property crimes would be lower, but violent crimes might be high.

IGETEVEN 09-15-2009 06:44 PM

Just keep an eye out for Yogi and BooBoo when you get off the beaten path. They are the four legged thugs in them neck of the woods, along with the Courgar and wolf gangs. They are at the top of the list for assaults and crimes in most State Parks, more than the two-legged variety. ;)

Jack

Gojubrian 09-15-2009 11:14 PM

Where I live there are lots of long trails that go miles into the woods. If someone was out there with bad itentions they wouldn't have to worry about witnesses.
It's enough of a concern for me that I would carry always!

themyst 09-15-2009 11:24 PM

I found this 2008 report from the Washington Post: Crime in National Parks - washingtonpost.com

This report only goes up to 2002:

http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/pdf/t3115.pdf

I'm suspicious about the figures, I really suspect they should be higher for murder. Google 'list of homicides at state parks' and a plethora of sites will come up. Granted some bodies are just dumped there, but there are quite a few articles of random murders.

Last year there was this poor girl killed by a drifter in a park:

Autopsy: Ga. hiker died of head injury - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

I like to go camping but I am always fully aware that parks are a great place for transients to stay. And, if they're not murdering, they're doing this: Maine man admits crawling in outhouse pit for the second time | StarTribune.com :eek:

sausn2002 09-16-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 160178)
Just keep an eye out for Yogi and BooBoo when you get off the beaten path. They are the four legged thugs in them neck of the woods, along with the Courgar and wolf gangs. They are at the top of the list for assaults and crimes in most State Parks, more than the two-legged variety. ;)

Jack

Would my Glock 27 .40S&W do the trick against these wild cats and dogs? I hope so. :eek:

c3shooter 09-16-2009 01:36 AM

How dangerous? Varies immensely by the park and the state.

However, many are VERY remote, and if you encounter someone with bad intentions, it is a L O N G way to help.

Boy Scouts have the right idea. Be prepared.

And yes, there have been assualts, rapes, murders, kidnappings, and armed robberies in both State & National parks. Here in VA, if you have a concealed license, you have been able to legally carry in a state park for some time.

4 legged critters do not concern me to the extent that 2 legged rats do.

1861 09-16-2009 01:48 AM

I have camped State parks for many years , most people there are fine folks . However there is nothing to stop the not so nice from being there . I always carry , besides , we have black bears prowling ours .

bgeddes 09-16-2009 02:40 AM

I hike in a local state park, only thing I was ever worried about was 2-legged and their canines. Bears here too, but never had one do anything but scatter when they saw me.

sausn2002 09-16-2009 03:14 PM

If a person is in a local state park, and they have to open fire on a 2-legged monster (canines, ect.), how would that play out? in court? Would a park ranger be responding after hearing gun shots? I was just wondering. I was trying to think to myself how everything would play out.