how about minors...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > how about minors...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default how about minors...

well, in my state of Connecticut, as with just about the entire country, you have to be 21 to have a pistol and all the licenses. What can underage guys do for self defense besides hand to hand? How about knives? And by minors I mean under 18 too, so no rifles or shotguns in the car either

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Ask your parents. If you're under 18, they're legally responsible for anything you do.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:39 AM   #3

If you're under 18, you should try to avoid situations where you think you need a weapon for SD. Yes, crimes can and do happen everywhere, but simply planning ahead and using the environment around you can avoid a bad situation. As for knives, I dont believe there is an age restriction on how old you have to be to carry a knife. But, if you do end carrying a knife, check your laws to make sure the knife isn't too big to carry. Some areas dont allow carrying knives at all. A 3" blade is better than nothing. So, I'd recommend a knife, especially for someone under 18.

S.S.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you decide to carry a weapon, you better know how to use it as the attacker may have a blade as well. Worse case, after trying to avoid every situation where you may get yourself into trouble, is that your attacker is armed with a firearm.

Avoid areas and situations that have the potential for disaster. Think ahead, know your surroundings and be prepared. If taking a combatives class is necessary, that may be an option but as was said earlier and, this cannot be stressed too much; avoiding situations where you have to man up for yourself is always best.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
If you decide to carry a weapon, you better know how to use it as the attacker may have a blade as well. Worse case, after trying to avoid every situation where you may get yourself into trouble, is that your attacker is armed with a firearm.

Avoid areas and situations that have the potential for disaster. Think ahead, know your surroundings and be prepared. If taking a combatives class is necessary, that may be an option but as was said earlier and, this cannot be stressed too much; avoiding situations where you have to man up for yourself is always best.
Indeed, that's the best advice right there. Also, continue to learn some form of self-defense and stick with it, even when you transition to using a firearm and getting a CCL. You cannot always depend on a firearm to be the first form of defense in all situations, it will be your last. Keep practicing, shooting and practicing and continuing education in both areas of self-defense, physical and tactical ballistic, and know your CCL laws in your state. All this will keep you on top of your game and you will gain confidence to be able to handle and react to a threatening situation and be the winner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

At you're age you might wanna consider pepper spray or something along those lines.. It might be just enough to disable an attacker for the time you need to get yourself out of a situation.. Kimber makes a nice pepper blaster now that I am going to pick up and keep next to my ccw.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #7

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Are tazers restricted to 21 and over?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Are tazers restricted to 21 and over?
Yup, they're a possibly lethal weapon.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Yup, they're a possibly lethal weapon.
There was a guy in my area who got tazed and died. So yes, they are lethal.

S.S.