Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   how about minors... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/how-about-minors-15163/)

easterner123 06-27-2009 01:00 AM

how about minors...

well, in my state of Connecticut, as with just about the entire country, you have to be 21 to have a pistol and all the licenses. What can underage guys do for self defense besides hand to hand? How about knives? And by minors I mean under 18 too, so no rifles or shotguns in the car either

matt g 06-27-2009 02:36 AM

Ask your parents. If you're under 18, they're legally responsible for anything you do.

Shotgun Shooter 06-27-2009 04:39 AM

If you're under 18, you should try to avoid situations where you think you need a weapon for SD. Yes, crimes can and do happen everywhere, but simply planning ahead and using the environment around you can avoid a bad situation. As for knives, I dont believe there is an age restriction on how old you have to be to carry a knife. But, if you do end carrying a knife, check your laws to make sure the knife isn't too big to carry. Some areas dont allow carrying knives at all. A 3" blade is better than nothing. So, I'd recommend a knife, especially for someone under 18.

S.S.

dunerunner 06-27-2009 05:31 AM

If you decide to carry a weapon, you better know how to use it as the attacker may have a blade as well. Worse case, after trying to avoid every situation where you may get yourself into trouble, is that your attacker is armed with a firearm.

Avoid areas and situations that have the potential for disaster. Think ahead, know your surroundings and be prepared. If taking a combatives class is necessary, that may be an option but as was said earlier and, this cannot be stressed too much; avoiding situations where you have to man up for yourself is always best.

IGETEVEN 06-27-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 122300)
If you decide to carry a weapon, you better know how to use it as the attacker may have a blade as well. Worse case, after trying to avoid every situation where you may get yourself into trouble, is that your attacker is armed with a firearm.

Avoid areas and situations that have the potential for disaster. Think ahead, know your surroundings and be prepared. If taking a combatives class is necessary, that may be an option but as was said earlier and, this cannot be stressed too much; avoiding situations where you have to man up for yourself is always best.

Indeed, that's the best advice right there. Also, continue to learn some form of self-defense and stick with it, even when you transition to using a firearm and getting a CCL. You cannot always depend on a firearm to be the first form of defense in all situations, it will be your last. Keep practicing, shooting and practicing and continuing education in both areas of self-defense, physical and tactical ballistic, and know your CCL laws in your state. All this will keep you on top of your game and you will gain confidence to be able to handle and react to a threatening situation and be the winner.

ktmboyz 06-27-2009 03:08 PM

At you're age you might wanna consider pepper spray or something along those lines.. It might be just enough to disable an attacker for the time you need to get yourself out of a situation.. Kimber makes a nice pepper blaster now that I am going to pick up and keep next to my ccw.

Yunus 06-27-2009 04:00 PM

Are tazers restricted to 21 and over?

matt g 06-27-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 122389)
Are tazers restricted to 21 and over?

Yup, they're a possibly lethal weapon.

Shotgun Shooter 06-27-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 122392)
Yup, they're a possibly lethal weapon.

There was a guy in my area who got tazed and died. So yes, they are lethal.

S.S.