Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How About Both

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How About Both

For the record I am have spent my life obeying the law, paying my taxes, and staying out of trouble as well as avoiding situations that could be bad news.

However recently my job requires me to be out late by myself, travel 0-45+ minutes and to go to a variety of neighborhoods some better than others.

I had to go to a largier town in a neighborhood I really wouldn't want to if not engaged in business. That was scary and unpleasent.

I own a Glock 30 .45 ACP( 10 rounds) and a EAA Windicator .357 Magnum revolver(6 rounds).

I pray I never EVER need to use either to defend my life or that of another or more than 16 rounds of live ammo.

I was thinking strong side shoulder holster for the .357 & small of back for the Glock with a concealing vest and a fanny pack to hold mag 2 & 1 speedclip for the wheelgun.

Any advice?

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't know about many on here, I know that Jack and I have had this conversation before, but anytime I seen a grown man with a fannypack, I automatically assume he has a handgun with him. The weight, the placement, the way it rides are all tell tale give aways for me personally.

Now, I have a backpack that has a small concealed pistol slot that I carry everywhere with me. In this day and age of laptop bags and backpacks, no one is ever the wiser and it's always in easy access.

When I travel through an area that might not be in the best of neighborhoods, I don't keep my pistol in a holster. I will either keep it the backpack sitting on the front seat with the compartment facing me, or I will take the pistol out and hide it under a jacket or something where I can access it quickly. Trying to fight your seatbealt, your sport coat and your holster when some idiot is trying to drag you out of your vehicle is never a good time in my book.

As for your .357 in a shoulder rig, how heavy is that pistol? Because carrying a pistol of solid steel construction for more than a few hours, in and out of a vehicle and other places, will begin to wear on your neck and shoulders in no time flat.

while I applaud your wanting to be prepared, I would personally look at other carry options unless you are just a big dude or a sadist.

JD

Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #3

The EAA Windicator is heavy especially when compared to the Glock.

The .357 magnum snubby just screams "GUN".

Any thoughts on concealment vests?

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Never bought one. They are a decent enough idea, but here is the problem that I ran into when I looked at them.

You have an "other than name brand" vest. It's double reinforcingly stitched on all the seems. Then you add a 3/4" wide, or larger, lump across the chest for your handgun and watch how the zipper doesn't ride vertical, it kind of bunches/folds, and how the profile changes.

Maybe if you sewed some patches on there, you MIGHT be able to pull off the biker vest look. Maybe. Or maybe you will look like you are going to a the local country establishment for a night of dancing. Again, Maybe....

The vest just isn't popular around these parts, so I can't honestly say it would look "normal" to me.

Do you carry a laptop or some other sort of "professional" bag? Or have you considered trading in your monster hand cannon for a lighter version like the Ruger LCR?

Again, I live in the PNW and what is considered "average" around here would vary greatly than a lot of places I have been, so you really have to tailor how you carry to what you will be wearing while you are doing so.

Perhaps some other folks will stop by shortly and give you some input.

JD

Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Get you a nice small backpack. You will not stand out carrying a backpack as you might with vest or a fanny/waist pack. A backpack goes with any dress style, is fairly commonly carried and attracts very little attention. It is easy to carry and manuver around, hell it can even be a very quick, effective barrier between you and a bladed weapon or a quick defensive distraction.

You have a choice of various sizes and styles, I like this one, the Maxpedition Gearslinger and I can personally recommend it, as well as JD and others here on the forum who have it. Check on various prices.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Maxpedition-0410KF-Monsoon-Gearslinger/68176/Cat/110

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #6

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

A fanny pack is a carry tell especially if you carry your wallet in your back pocket.

Your BUG should be exactly that, a last chance piece. Typically a 5 or six round small bore.

You need to pick one of your cannons as primary and leave the other home. If you don't, you'll be too tired to draw it when the time comes.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Get you a nice small backpack. You will not stand out carrying a backpack as you might with vest or a fanny/waist pack. A backpack goes with any dress style, is fairly commonly carried and attracts very little attention. It is easy to carry and manuver around, hell it can even be a very quick, effective barrier between you and a bladed weapon or a quick defensive distraction.

You have a choice of various sizes and styles, I like this one, the Maxpedition Gearslinger and I can personally recommend it, as well as JD and others here on the forum who have it. Check on various prices.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Maxpedition-0410KF-Monsoon-Gearslinger/68176/Cat/110

Jack

That's the one I carry. I checked them out after IGETEVEN and Dillinger suggested them. I couldn't be happier with mine. I carry a fullsize auto,or two, in there with lots of mags and other goodies. Man, that thing has alot of hidden compartments, nooks, and crannies.

I also have it laying in the passenger seat with the unzipped portion toward me. That's perfect concealed vehicle carry in my opinion.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

igeteven, you could carry a small arsenal in that thing. Seriously. It could hold two semi-auto MP5K's.

...on that note, I wonder if a semi-auto MP5K is considered a "pistol" as it can't be classified as a submachine gun, not can it be classified as a rifle.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #9

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
That's the one I carry. I checked them out after IGETEVEN and Dillinger suggested them. I couldn't be happier with mine. I carry a fullsize auto,or two, in there with lots of mags and other goodies. Man, that thing has alot of hidden compartments, nooks, and crannies.

I also have it laying in the passenger seat with the unzipped portion toward me. That's perfect concealed vehicle carry in my opinion.
Is that an over the shoulder backpack? (one strap?) I've been looking for something like that, but can only find the one picture. Thanks!

I got the 5.11 PUSH bag from NRA. It looked great online and has many compartments. Because it is so small however, it looks kind of like a Man-Purse. I would like to avoid the same mistake. :-)

Update: I see they are available at Bass Pro Shops, looks perfect in the picture, I will check it out next time I am in Orlando. Thanks for the info!

Bob

-Bob

Last edited by FlBob518; 06-01-2010 at 01:40 AM.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #10

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post

Not planning a trip to Orlando in the near future, this backpack looks exactly what I want comparing it to the other models. I notice that this has a 3 liter water bladder however. When I called the Bass Pro Shop, the guy had no idea if the bladder is removable. So, any of you present owners, can you remove the water bladder? I'll order one today if you can! thanks for the help!

-Bob