Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   house protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/house-protection-68065/)

chinhippy 07-11-2012 06:41 PM

house protection

I want a good handgun that the wife can use. I wantt it to have good stopping power. Would happen prefer an automatic. Any ideas?

winds-of-change 07-11-2012 06:43 PM

That is a very broad question. You need to narrow it down more. There are thousands of guns that would fill that bill.

Personally, my favorite Home Defense gun is a revolver.

orangello 07-11-2012 06:46 PM

I have been very happy with my XD45 sold by Springfield Armory. I don't know if you and/or your wife have any experience with large handguns, but the firearm is fairly simple to operate. Safe use/ownership would involve some regular practice, IMO.

My go-to is a pump shotgun, but some people aren't comfortable or competent with them.

locutus 07-11-2012 06:57 PM

A quality high capacity 9MM is nearly perfect.

(A quality weapon, not a K-Mart blue light special.)

Low recoil, all the stopping power you'll ever need, and low cost ammo for practice.

HOSSFLY 07-11-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
A quality high capacity 9MM is nearly perfect.

(A quality weapon, not a K-Mart blue light special.)

Low recoil, all the stopping power you'll ever need, and low cost ammo for practice.

Pretty much agree for man wife combo-

tiberius10721 07-12-2012 12:05 AM

Don't discount a good 38special for home defense. I

danf_fl 07-12-2012 12:08 AM

A firearm alone will not be the best choice for home protection.

I suggest getting some training (both of you), and while you are there, look at what the wife can handle best.

The trainer should have different handguns available for you to try.

drvsafe 07-12-2012 12:31 AM

My suggestion is to get down to a range and try out a good half dozen or so firearms, get a feel for them all see what feels good for her.

Also consider price range when you choose what you're going to try.

In terms of a suggestion for a particular pistol try a Glock, specifically a 19 and then take it from there.

and +1 on danf_fl s recommendation on some training, everyone can do with a little training.

Doc3402 07-12-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinhippy (Post 866555)
I want a good handgun that the wife can use. I wantt it to have good stopping power. Would happen prefer an automatic. Any ideas?

If you mean 'use' as in take it out of the box, load the magazine, insert the magazine, work the action to put a round in the chamber, point it and fire it, good luck. Many women lack the upper body strength to comfortably operate the action on most auto-loaders. If it isn't comfortable, she won't practice.

If you are going to do all the prep work every single time you can go with anything she'll shoot more than once, which brings us to the stopping power question. Unless your wife is Conan the Librarian anything with adequate stopping power is either going to be too heavy or too brutal for her to practice with. If it isn't comfortable, she won't practice.

What would I recommend? Something light that depends more on shot placement than it does making major league holes. If she is the least bit recoil sensitive it's the only way you will ever get her to practice. If it isn't comfortable, she won't practice.

In the long run type of ammo, brand or type of gun, or caliber of the weapon don't matter. All that matters is that your wife wins the contest if she gets in that situation. Get her something she's comfortable with so she won't dread practicing with it. In other words, don't ask us, ask your wife.

Axxe55 07-12-2012 11:42 AM

i have to agree to some degree with the last post. how much experiance does she have in shooting guns in general, and handguns in particular? just buying a handgun for her, and saying here ya go, well that's just not going to work out well. she needs some training and then select a pistol that fits her hand well and then lots of practice with it. if it doesn't fit her hand well, she will not be able to hit accurately with it. revolvers are also a good option.