Home Protection Gun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home Protection Gun

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Mossberg roadblocker

Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ on my last post my finger got to close to send. What I meant to say is a pistol grip when used correctly should help tame felt recoil and direct it straight back to the shoulder. Unless your pushing the gun away from you instead of pulling it into your shoulder. At least that has been my experience.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #23

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

During the time your wife is pregnant invest in a good “air soft” or pellet pistol for training purposes. I have many starting shooters that will train at home with an Air Soft and it is amassing how much progress they can make and how cheap they can learn.

Yes, these do not have the noise and recoil but they develop great muscle memory that will transfer and they will allow your wife to safely train.

I still keep a 7 yard range for air soft in the basement and many of us love to go there on cold rainy days and have fun.

All of my air soft are painted bright orange.

With a good quality air soft I can hold a ½” group at 7 yards and a 1 ½” group rapid fire! Get one with a laser and train yourself to hip shoot - -- great fun and a good skill to have if the time comes!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Having instructed a number of women, I would suggest that you consider a decent revolver for her use. What I have found over the years is that women feel more comfortable with like a .357 magnum revolver loaded with .38 target loads or a decent .32 revolver. A good 4 inch barrel on the revolver allows the woman to control the recoil from it with no problem. Accuracy with such revolvers require minimum training for a novice shooter and is almost a natural response for most shooters. The revolver is quite reliable and requires a little maintenance. They are fun to shoot too which encourages the person in training to have fun. They are easy to maneuver around in a house with when going from room-to-room. But more than anything, I would suggest a really good plan behind her being armed and possibly going to a nearby place of safety, like a neighbor's house where she will be safe.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Again thanks for all the info guys, i talked with her and she likes the air soft training idea. If the baby is a girl, she wants a shotgun when the bf comes to pick her up (she likes to scare the **** outta him). We are planning to get a dog also. I would just like to be prepared and have her prepared for that moment where even tho the dog is barking mad and the bad guy is still trying to break in.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #26

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

What your talking about is the worst case scenario of NEEDING to win a gun fight. Rule #1 is to bring enough gun.

There is no substitute for a SHOTGUN in a close quarters fight. Being armed with a handgun to being "barely armed". The ONLY reason experienced shooter rely on handguns is CCW or any time a long arm is simply not practical.

This restriction does not apply to home defense.

My daughter was handling a Remington 870 12 G with 2 3/4" buckshot loads by age 12. I'm sure you wife could do the same.

Decent pumps can be found used for $150.00. A brand new Remi 870 Express can be found on sale for $290 to $310.

Get enough gun and be prepared to defend that young family of yours.

Good luck,

TACK

Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #27

First off, congrats on your upcoming kid. Second thanks for thinking of protecting ur family. I'm a firm believer that your home should be safe. I recommend installing heavy duty locks on the exterior doors and windows. When my now wife and I dated she lived in a not so friendly area. I can't remember what they are called but I bought her 2 door bars. One attaches to the from door handle and the stop goes on the floor. The other bar fits in between the track of our sliding doors. Motion señor lights for the exterior entry ways and long sides of our home. Costco sells cameras where u can see all sides of ur home from ur computer. My dogs are great alarms, but I doubt they would attack. My wife and I do carry and have a 12 ga in our bedroom. However just having a gun in ur home doesn't make u safe...everyone in the home should feel comfortable firing the gun and have a plan on what to do in case of a home invasion (for instance if someone breaks into our home when we are sleeping, we agreed and practiced the following...she gets her carry and goes to the designated area in the room with her cell phone and flashlight. We let our dogs out in the living room first. I get my carry and 12 ga and light. I follow the dogs and close the door. She locks it. She then calls 911. When the threat is done before I enter the room we have a safe word so that there is less chance at a friendly fire. Seems excessive to some but we feel safer with that plan) We personally haven't attended one yet, but a local gun range offers self defense classes on pistol and shotgun usage (firing from cover, etc) as well as classes for women only to guard against home invasions with kids. Ur pd may be able to assist u on finding classes like those.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #28
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Doesn't sound excessive at all. It's a plan that is discussed, understood and mutually agreed by the partners. Doesn't get much better than that! And get all the training you can.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 02-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjazzkohai
First off, congrats on your upcoming kid. Second thanks for thinking of protecting ur family. I'm a firm believer that your home should be safe. I recommend installing heavy duty locks on the exterior doors and windows. When my now wife and I dated she lived in a not so friendly area. I can't remember what they are called but I bought her 2 door bars. One attaches to the from door handle and the stop goes on the floor. The other bar fits in between the track of our sliding doors. Motion señor lights for the exterior entry ways and long sides of our home. Costco sells cameras where u can see all sides of ur home from ur computer. My dogs are great alarms, but I doubt they would attack. My wife and I do carry and have a 12 ga in our bedroom. However just having a gun in ur home doesn't make u safe...everyone in the home should feel comfortable firing the gun and have a plan on what to do in case of a home invasion (for instance if someone breaks into our home when we are sleeping, we agreed and practiced the following...she gets her carry and goes to the designated area in the room with her cell phone and flashlight. We let our dogs out in the living room first. I get my carry and 12 ga and light. I follow the dogs and close the door. She locks it. She then calls 911. When the threat is done before I enter the room we have a safe word so that there is less chance at a friendly fire. Seems excessive to some but we feel safer with that plan) We personally haven't attended one yet, but a local gun range offers self defense classes on pistol and shotgun usage (firing from cover, etc) as well as classes for women only to guard against home invasions with kids. Ur pd may be able to assist u on finding classes like those.
That is great! It is better to have a plan. And it is very reasonable. We have a Remington 878 that has been shortened on both ends. And 4 dogs in the yard. Anytime they get noisy at night I grab the shotgun and go see what's going on. We live out in the country in Arkansas so it's usually coyotes or deer. The wife stays in the bed room with a 22 revolver. ( not much but better than nothing) her other choice is a 243 deer rifle and a marlin model 60.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #30

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

i would suggest a nice 12 ga shotgun of whichever brand you feel comfortable with as well as a nice semiautomatic pistolof 9mm or larger caliber

Closed Thread