Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home Protection Gun

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Home Protection Gun

Hey guys, so I'm getting married in April, and my fiancé is pregnant. We live in a neighborhood where the cops are here a few times a week and we have helicopters flying over the house almost every night. She has had her car broken into and nothing important was stolen thank god.

So my main question is which gun (semi or revolver) and which caliber would you folks recommend for me so I can feel safer in protecting my family or when I am not home, she will be able to defend herself?

I have been to the range and have shot a couple of guns: Colt 1911, Glock 22 (40SW, I believe that is the correct model, was my grandfathers), and a S&W revolver (can't recall the model of it, but it shot 38 special). I feel comfortable with both 45 ACP and 40SW, as well as the 38. Since I have not shot a 357 or a 9mm, which I'm pretty sure I can easily handle the 9mm.

I'm willing to spend a decent chunk of money if I need to. But if I can keep the price range pretty decent, the better. Also I am open to other makes besides Glock because of the no thumb safety. Any and all suggestions/opinions are welcome.

Last edited by guthy125; 01-28-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

You're best bet would be to get what ever is comfortable for you. All the calibers you listed are sufficient for home defense. Revolvers tend to be easier to maintain (in my opinion). Have you considered a shot gun?

You might do a search there have been lots of suggestions made in the past that might help you out.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1680 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

If you're in a house, big dog. If you're in a small apartment, small yappy dog. Then the gun. Can she handle a shot gun?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I personally recommend DA revolvers for new owners, mostly because your not very likely to pull the trigger by accident (long and heavy pull).

In your case, I'd recommend both you and your fiancé going to a range that rents guns and trying out an assortment.

And here's a problem! Your fiancé is pregnant. You don't need or want lead residue flying around your pregnant fiancé. In fact, some ranges specifically well not allow pregnant ladies on the range.

So I guess that leaves just you. Go rent some more, get what's most comfortable to you, and then get your lady her own later.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We live in a small house that the living room kitchen are like one room with a small counter island seperating them and then the bed/bath and thats it. I wouldn't be taking her until the baby is born (July 29th) and only when one of our parents would come to watch the baby while I have her try out some guns. I wouldnt mind a shotgun but again very small place.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I personally recommend DA revolvers for new owners, mostly because your not very likely to pull the trigger by accident (long and heavy pull).

In your case, I'd recommend both you and your fiancé going to a range that rents guns and trying out an assortment.

And here's a problem! Your fiancé is pregnant. You don't need or want lead residue flying around your pregnant fiancé. In fact, some ranges specifically well not allow pregnant ladies on the range.

So I guess that leaves just you. Go rent some more, get what's most comfortable to you, and then get your lady her own later.
Yep, and it's not good for the little one even after he/she is born. I once saw a guy who returned from the range after a long shooting session and went straight to pick up his new baby, without washing his hands. When you come home after shooting, wash up and throw those clothes in the wash.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh that yes. I actually wash my hands before I leave the range. The closest one to me has a bathroom, and when I come home from it, I do change. This post is also because I do want her to feel safe enough to be able to use it, god forbid, in that situation, because once I lose some weight, I am joining the navy and if I'm gone I will feel a lot better if she knows how to use it and defend her and the baby with it.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #8

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Paladin good point that seems to be forgotten, wash your hands and change clothes even take a shower. A shotty with lighter loads works well, or any of the guns you mentioned earlier. What do you like the best, shoot the best, now the same question for her.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1819 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Obviously if she has to use it, it has to be something she can handle and not be afraid of. The question is what is she willing and able to shoot? You are not the primary concern in this case. What ever you get has to fast and easy to grab and operate. Fear and panic will cause deadly mistakes. You or she may not have the presence of mind to thumb a safety or rack a slide. Most importantly, you both must be willing to pull the trigger. If you or she are not then dont bother and get a baseball bat or a stun gun.
You will need a light source known as a Tac-light. Whether you attach it to the weapon or hand hold is something you and the weapon will have to decide.
Carbines are easier to use and require less training. A 16" AR is a good choice. The adjustable stock is great but leave it set for her. Attach a tac-light and use irons. You dont want to have to turn anything on except the light. A military 55 grn 5.56x45 (223) wont penetrate walls as badly as a typical handgun as they tumble and lose energy quickly.
Shotguns are next best but still have to be aimed. A shot pattern will expand roughly 1 inch per yard. Bird shot is not a good defense load. I wont load less than #4 buck. A 20 gauge will be lighter and easier to handle for smaller shooters. I would recommend an auto rather than a pump. Less felt recoil and less chance of a short stroke jam in a panic. Get one with a full stock. Adjustable would be nice. The hand grips look neat but are not that great to shoot accurately. They are mostly Hollywood. Shotgun pellets will penetrate walls. Look at low recoil loads if needed.
The handgun is the last in line. They do not have the power of the carbine or shotgun and require more training. A bullet from a handgun will penetrate lots of walls. The lighter the handgun the more it will recoil. It is a home defense weapon and does not need to be light. I would look at the Springfield XD series. Easier to shoot than the Glock and has a grip safety. Glocks have bigger grips and dont fit smaller hands well. The XD's will be heavier than the equivalent Glock which helps with the recoil and is why they are easier to shoot. I have both.
Now we will see how many toes I stepped on.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 01-28-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1751 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

What you can protect her with and what she can protect herself with could be two different weapons. If she's willing to invest some time practicing, she may become comfortable with your gun. If not, a revolver is about as simple as it gets. DA revolver provides a speed bump (not exactly a safety) in the form of a long, hard pull. She won't pull the trigger accidentally, but if she does need to pull it, the adrenaline won't even notice the pull.

The comments about cleaning up good before exposing the wife and kids are very important. Lead is used in the primers of most rounds. The lead becomes lead salts in some cases. The lead salts get deposited on your face and hands. Eating after shooting creates the chance for you to ingest some of the lead salts. Same problem as little kids eating paint chips. Also, picking up your baby and kissing him/her exposes the baby. Very bad mojo, bud.

Probably the most important thing you can do for your family is to talk with them about this subject. In detail. And listen to what your wife tells you. Us guys want to think we know about guns, and some of you do (not so sure about me... ). But we don't know about how our wives feel about guns until we communicate with them. I promise, to her having you listen would be 10x better than having you watch a chick flick with her!!!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Closed Thread