Home invasion plan, what am I overlooking? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home invasion plan, what am I overlooking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
My fron identical. What did you do about the sidelight windows?
i looked until I found a set of double doors that fit the five foot door opening. There will be no more side windows when i'm done. Lowe's ...$800 ish

Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #22

Quote:
The security film seems like a great idea that is too good to be true. If it still allows the glass to fracture, at one of those fracture lines couldn't you push a knife right through?
I honestly don't know use the link and click on "contact us" and there is an toll free 800# call them and ask .

Search for "Protective Window film" there may be a local place selling it that will do a demo for you to answer all your questions .

It sounds like you need a metal shed with a lock in the back yard to store things in .

Have you ever seen the program "It takes a Thief" ?

If not you should watch several episodes of it to help educate you on the subject of break ins .

It is two former professional burglars who find home and business owners to let them break in and "Rob" them with the owners watching on closed circuit TV , to show them how bad their security is and after , they do things like install alarm systems and security doors for them to improve their security .

Like I said I don't know about burglars carrying "Kits" but these guys find ways into homes and businesses so easy it will boggle your mind and on occasion will actually "Steal" a persons so called "Guard Dog" because it was just a playful pet . At times it is completely hilarious .

In one episode they robbed a custom car shop in about 10 minutes and stole nearly 200 grand in cars by using a car carrier and took the owners Pit Bull inside of his personal custom truck along with diagnostic software cash all kinds of stuff for a total of over a 1/4 Million .

In another they hit a home in Florida right on one of the water canals got a boat , jet skis diving equipment etc. etc, and actually waved at the neighbors as they drove the boat away .

They have gone in a doggie door on one occassion and while the dogs didn't let them near them they didn't attack them either and they weren't small dogs , two in the 50+ lb range .

Many people think because they live in a good neighborhood they are immune but criminals target those places BECAUSE they're nice places and people have things worth stealing and think they're safe and are complaisant .

You need to harden that house if nothing else for your wife and daughter , have you ever checked the sex offender registry to see how many are around your home ?

Can you imagine how devastated you and the wife would be if your child were kidnapped , raped and God knows what ? Rapists and child molesters are the kind that target specific people or homes and bide their time for an opportunity .

Don't give them one !!

I've been a crime victim , it scares you , it makes you mad , it causes you sleepless nights and bad dreams . Do everything in your power to avoid it from happening to you and your family especially if it is all a matter of money you can afford to spend rather than save because that money in the bank or your portfolio wont make you feel a damn bit better after it happens .

Old 10-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #23

I appreciate all advice that's why I posted this thread. I walked around the house and picked up 4 golf clubs , a 6ft ladder, the propane tank, a shovel, extra steel rod to lock fence and a couple other things.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I've been making some preparations in this area as well. Although I live in a decent enough suburban neighborhood, if the economic worst case scenario develops, I think it's prudent to think about this stuff.

Just last week I had all of my lower level windows replaced with tempered, shatterproof glass. It was kinda pricey, but my old windows were single-pane and I should hopefully eventually get the cost back in energy savings. In addition to two dogs and a security system, I've started adding wireless IP cameras that let me see who is at the door, in the driveway, or behind the house.

The next big project is the front and back exterior doors, which look a lot like harleysilo's -- lots of glass, so an easy way in for a burglar, as well as easy for someone to peer in. I need to replace those with something more secure, but still maintain good aesthetics for the wife.
Quasi,

Just so you will know, tempered glass will easily break from a chip or scratch AND you won't get cuts from it. Use plain ol' float glass around doors and lower windows. When it breaks, it leaves super sharp shards of glass everywhere. Also, most home invaders will not break through "leaded glass" such as your front door, as leaded glass tends to make lots of small sharp fragments when it breaks. This is deadly for a perp to put his arm through.

Most intelligent perps carry a spring-loaded center punch on them. This is used to explode Tempered Glass. All tempered glass is identified by an etched mark on the glass, usually on a lower corner. When a perp sees this mark, it's a guaranteed easy access without personal injury.

Double and triple pane glass does discourage invaders. So, if you installed "insulated glass" for security purposes, you did OK, and you will see some cost savings of your energy bill. HOWEVER, if your window is UNLOCKED...

Last edited by Mark F; 10-28-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I've been making some preparations in this area as well. Although I live in a decent enough suburban neighborhood, if the economic worst case scenario develops, I think it's prudent to think about this stuff.

Just last week I had all of my lower level windows replaced with tempered, shatterproof glass. It was kinda pricey, but my old windows were single-pane and I should hopefully eventually get the cost back in energy savings. In addition to two dogs and a security system, I've started adding wireless IP cameras that let me see who is at the door, in the driveway, or behind the house.

The next big project is the front and back exterior doors, which look a lot like harleysilo's -- lots of glass, so an easy way in for a burglar, as well as easy for someone to peer in. I need to replace those with something more secure, but still maintain good aesthetics for the wife.
Use leaded glass windows in your side panels, a similar design as your front door. Perps will not typically break through leaded glass, as it makes LOTS of sharp, deadly shards. To make it even MORE secure, put 1/16" float glass in front of the leaded glass. This will make a very attractive entryway that is SECURE! That's what I did with my side panels, and my wife likes the looks...
window1.jpg  

Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 AM   #26

Likes Given: 2

"what am i overlooking"

the fact that everybody that see's this thread knows your plan, knows your basic layout of your house, and that the bricks are there to be thrown into your window while the dogs get locked outside... go there when your not home, head right for your bedroom closet where you keep your guns... if you happen to come home, too late, i have YOUR gun pointed at YOUR face...

the dogs would be the biggest threat

oh yea, make sure all windows are locked, do you have any roofs that you can get out to from your seccond floor? like a deck roof? perfect spot for a theif to get up to, and in your window..

i've watched a guy climb up 3 balconys in an apartment building, get to the sliding glass door, slide it open, and got in easier then anything... i was in there, he did it cause he forgot the key... but still, he did it effortlessly... little porch with a 4' handrail stacked 3 high..

Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

YES.

However, there is a big difference between BURGULAR and HOME INVADER.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post

i've watched a guy climb up 3 balconys in an apartment building, get to the sliding glass door, slide it open, and got in easier then anything... i was in there, he did it cause he forgot the key... but still, he did it effortlessly... little porch with a 4' handrail stacked 3 high..
Interersting scenario... and a clear-cut case of someone proving their place is an easy target.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
"what am i overlooking"

the fact that everybody that see's this thread knows your plan, knows your basic layout of your house, and that the bricks are there to be thrown into your window while the dogs get locked outside... go there when your not home, head right for your bedroom closet where you keep your guns... if you happen to come home, too late, i have YOUR gun pointed at YOUR face...

the dogs would be the biggest threat

oh yea, make sure all windows are locked, do you have any roofs that you can get out to from your seccond floor? like a deck roof? perfect spot for a theif to get up to, and in your window..

I don't know Erick, you'd kind of need my address, or course in this day and age you could probably find it. When you do come over don't bring your Astroglide please as none of that business will be going on....

Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #30

Likes Given: 2

lol, nice google search..

that picture holding the lube issn't me btw, it's my friend...

your plan is 50x better then the average americans, you'd be fine