Home Invasion - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home Invasion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 331 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 3

a few weeks ago I had some guy banging on the door ar 2am. I couldn't sleep that night, heard the dog start goin offand then the knocking. He just wanted to tell me his daughter rolled her car on onto our property and over the fence. luckily she wasn't hurt but the fence was down and he didn't know if we had livestock. Not knowing what was going on I went to the side door (he was knocking on the front) with pistol in hand and turned on the porch light keeping the inside light off so I could see him but he couldn't see me. He saw the light flip on and walked around the corner, and when I saw 2 empty hands and no aggressive attitude I cracked the door open and asked what he wanted. All ended well and I helped him get his daughters car the next morning to save him a tow bill. But it did make me think about how different the outcome could have been under different circumstances

Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #22

Liked 116 Times on 88 Posts

I actually agree with most the post here, especially about my family's safe haven being trespassed against, but I honestly think my family would rather have me alive than risk a house clearing and getting shot. Me/wife and my two girls rooms are all upstairs with mine by the stairs (no coincidence). I wake up to noises from time to time and grab my shotgun and wait a few minutes and listen very carefully. Then I rack it as loud as I can by the stairs and wait some more listening very carefully, I mean I could probably hear a sewing pin drop. Never actually had a burglar in my house while home so No further actions were needed. If I did think someone was in my house I'm waking my wife and she grabs the m&p9 and gathering my kids and taking cover while I guard the stairs and she calls the cops. We rehearse this at least once a year. With that said I did clear my home a few times just for a piece of mind, go figure

Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #23

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

A few things which I believe are important. Whereever you keep your gun at night, make sure there is a cell phone near it...even if it's an old cell phone. Every cell phone must be able to call 911, even those not in contract.
Get yourself an alarm system. It does two things...it wakes you up and lets anyone who may be intruding that the police are on the way. Being awakened by an alarm instead of a bump in the night is certainly a better start to a bad scenario. Then there are dogs, deadbolts, motion detectors...etc...a whole array of things that can be done to help you prevent a bad situation. At the very least, have a safe room you can go to, with a phone and have a plan in place with your girlfriend for those "just in case" moments. Situational awareness means everything, before and after something happens.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #24

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
GF needs a shotgun or something for stationary defense from behind the mattress.

Not saying to do this, but did anybody else think "put him in a coffin"?
That's what I was thinking.. your in my home in the middle of the night - only one action that needs to be taken..

Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #25

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I instruct them real polite with my mossberg 500 barrel to lie face down on the floor very quickly with their arms out and palms up while I stay covered by the corner of my hallway and instruct my wife to call the police, wait until they arive to clear the rest of your house for you. KEEP your distance unless you plan on giving them a dirt nap because belive me, they will be thinking about attempting to rush you and you never know if they have 3 friends waiting outside by your fence.

Now if your by yourself and need to move to get hold of a phone you want to move them so that you are in their blind spot so they cannot easly look for a chance. Once you take control of the situation you can put them face down facing a wall.

Of course none of this will come to your mind unless you have had training so I second some classes.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #26

Liked 1147 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 2031

Keep in mind the the average person can move 30 ft in about 2.1 seconds .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #27

Liked 116 Times on 88 Posts

Yeah but you can pull the trigger in a fraction of that

Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22083 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
Yeah but you can pull the trigger in a fraction of that
are you 100% sure about that? that 2.1 seconds will go much quicker than you think.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2446 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
are you 100% sure about that? that 2.1 seconds will go much quicker than you think.
It takes the average police officer 1.5 seconds to draw and fire their weapon. By then the person is already on top of you if they're moving that fast. Unless you're armed with an RPG, they're gonna get a lick or two in even if you do have fatal shot placement.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

People Like This 
Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #30

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

This is why we keep our distance and if they ignore your third command, put them down because they are gonna rush you