Home Invasion - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home Invasion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Not saying to do this, but did anybody else think "put him in a coffin"?
Yes, not my advice either. But if they are there at night when you are obviously home they are there to hurt/rape/kill and the threat should be dealt with accordingly. Don't assume they just want your tv. If they did they would have come during the day.
But I have young children and I live in georgia, the local police/courts would not frown on wasting a home intruder/threat. (I have asked numerous times)
Better to be judged than carried.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew661
Yes, not my advice either. But if they are there at night when you are obviously home they are there to hurt/rape/kill and the threat should be dealt with accordingly. Don't assume they just want your tv. If they did they would have come during the day. But I have young children and I live in georgia, the local police/courts would not frown on wasting a home intruder/threat. (I have asked numerous times) Better to be judged than carried.
They can have whatever hey want downstairs but of they come upstairs (bedrooms) they are going to be carried out with all 30 rounds in their carcass.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
The sensible thing to do would be to sit tight and ring the police. Going round the house trying to clear it unless absolutely necessary would be stupid. Do that and get shot who's going to stop the intruder going after your family.
If I could click the like button until my finger fell off I would do it for that post. Outstanding advice. Call the police, have your GF stay on the line with them, and stay put. You know your house, you know the furniture layout, you know the approaches to your location, and they probably don't. Stay where you are, stay alert, and prepare to defend your stronghold.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
If I could click the like button until my finger fell off I would do it for that post. Outstanding advice. Call the police, have your GF stay on the line with them, and stay put. You know your house, you know the furniture layout, you know the approaches to your location, and they probably don't. Stay where you are, stay alert, and prepare to defend your stronghold.
Also totally agree, 100%
But point was it the poise a threat don't worry about clearing and detaining. Just protect you and your loved ones. See-Shoot-Repeat

Old 10-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I agree! Great plan with the highest probability of staying safe... if you walk out you are gambling on whether or not you would be outnumbered or flanked by trying to clear your house yourself.

I'd arm myself and my wife (in this case your GF) by grabbing our sidearms on either side of our bed in our hand safes.. and then this is OUR plan:

1. Wake each other up quietly and grab our firearms and assure they are loaded and ready. No lights on.
2. Grab our emergency cell phone (prepaid, always charged, always by the bed)
3. Grab flashlight and emergency kit (emergency kit consists of a spare key to the front door of the house attached to a glo-stick).
4. Retreat to opposite side of room from entry
5. Call the police and inform them of the invasion (we will have heard the alarm go off first... hopefully)
6. Wait. Either wait for the police to come (which we will instruct 911 dispatcher to send the police to our back window were we can drop the spare key and the glo-stick in the yard and they can find it, then they can enter quietly if need be, and also they don't have to break down the door which they don't pay for).
7. If the worst case happens before the police get there... we wait until we hear them outside the bedroom or hear them trying to enter. At that point we demand they identify themselves, as we are armed. If we establish visual contact and there is no threat, strong loud verbal commands will be used. "STOP STOP STOP", "GET ON THE GROUND, GET ON THE GROUND, GET ON THE GROUND"... etc..
8. If none of that works, and somebody enters and is clearly not a friend or family member and is obviously there for bad reasons, well then I think you know what comes next. The sound of empty magazines hitting the ground.

-Matt Eilers
Owner
Grand Rapids Guns

towboater Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

your job is not to clear the house. its to hole up in a room with your loved ones call the police and if someone comes in the safe room that doesnt belong thats when it turns to shoot no-shoot time.

if possible stay where you are wait for hep in a defensive stance.

your not equiped as a civilian with a family to hunt down goblins. defense should be the priority. police typically wait for help before going after a goblin they tend not to do it solo if it can be avoided. why should you tryand do something trained professionals avoid doing??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I could call the police to check scary noises that COULD be a home invader, but I would prefer not to have any strangers in my home unless absolutely necessary, and I don't consider a "house check" to be such a situation. I am usually the only human in my house after I go to bed. If there is another human in my house after I go to bed, I will feel mortally threatened unless said human is running for the door or proned out on the floor begging for mercy. The gun safe is a few steps from where I sleep and unlocked whenever I am home; the shotgun is beside the alarm clock; everything is loaded with spare magazines or speed loaders beside them (side saddle shell holder on the shotgun, full tube. I actually did clear my place a few weeks ago due to a loud noise that sounded like a door being forced, xd45 in one hand with flashlight in the other.

If I heard a noise and thought somebody may be in MY home, I would carefully and quietly clear the house, lights out, flashlight in weak hand. I have done so several times in the past. So far, I have yet to find anything other than a troublemaking cat knocking something off a counter. To have followed the "hide and call 911" advice would have seriously annoyed the county mounties by now and probably cost me a half dozen doors AND more importantly would have probably extended their already far-from-instanteous response time via the "boy who cried wolf" effect.

Does the "hide and wait for police"advice depend on city dweller vs county dweller or does it vary with police response time?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-17-2013 at 12:41 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

If somebody is in my house taking my stuff it's on like donkey kong. The locals can help me clean up the mess when I'm through. They won't be there for at least 45 minutes and I'm not calling them just cuz something went "crash bang" in my kitchen. A mans home is his last refuge. If I can't be safe there, I can't be safe anywhere. I'm not retreating or holing up anywhere. It's my house. My kids. My wife. My stuff. And anybody that violates that sacred place is going to be in some pain.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-17-2013 at 01:06 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #19
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6799 Times on 3714 Posts
Likes Given: 13382

If you find one guy in the house and convince him to surrender, force him to lead you through the remaining rooms. Make him your shield and hostage.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I would shelter in place and let them come at you through the door. Burglars usually wont come after you, they will flee. But anything can happen, never has happened to me before. Although I did have a situation like yours where I thought I was about to have contact, thankfully the suspects were identified as non threatening. I just grabbed my shotgun and held in place until further notice.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...