Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home Invasion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Home Invasion

A couple nights ago my girlfriend and I were laying in bed when we started to hear unusual noises downstairs on the main level. We do live in a double block on a main road so we are used to hearing noises. But my girlfriend and I both thought it was something more than our neighbors walking around opening cabinets and such. So I grabbed my pistol, checked all of my corners while making sure my home was not occupied by an intruder or intruders. I check everywhere in my house my house was clear nothing was stolen and there were no signs of an entry. Thankfully.

However I cannot stop thinking about that night and what if two people were in my home what would I have done. I know what I would have done if there was one but what if as I came down my stairs I saw one individual in my living room and I didn't know about the other in my kitchen or my basement which are blind spots from where I was standing. I could could ask the intruder if there are others with him but he could lie and the others could attack me when I have my back turned.

How do I contain one intruder without knowing the possibility of others?

Any recommendations? Has anybody been in a situation like this before?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #2

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I like to hold them down and tickle them. Make them giggle and urinate on themselves.

Then, I tea bag them and give them a mushroom stamp.

They won't ever forget that. After I post the photographs online everywhere.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

People Like This 
Old 10-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #3

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Watch action movies & clear the house dressed as--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 10-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Bounce View Post
A couple nights ago my girlfriend and I were laying in bed when we started to hear unusual noises downstairs on the main level. We do live in a double block on a main road so we are used to hearing noises. But my girlfriend and I both thought it was something more than our neighbors walking around opening cabinets and such. So I grabbed my pistol, checked all of my corners while making sure my home was not occupied by an intruder or intruders. I check everywhere in my house my house was clear nothing was stolen and there were no signs of an entry. Thankfully.

However I cannot stop thinking about that night and what if two people were in my home what would I have done. I know what I would have done if there was one but what if as I came down my stairs I saw one individual in my living room and I didn't know about the other in my kitchen or my basement which are blind spots from where I was standing. I could could ask the intruder if there are others with him but he could lie and the others could attack me when I have my back turned.

How do I contain one intruder without knowing the possibility of others?

Any recommendations? Has anybody been in a situation like this before?
Try and find a home protection/defense class. That is what I am doing thru a local NRA instructor. Then practice inside your house with other family members so they know what to do as well. Get a second weapon for your girlfriend as well so she can protect herself. Good luck and take care.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Last edited by winds-of-change; 10-17-2013 at 12:27 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Safely clearing a building or room alone is practically impossible. Ideally you need at least 1 other person to watch your back while you engage each threat area.

Obviously thats a luxury we don't always have in home defense. There are a lot of different schools of thought on this, because there's no "perfect" way to do it. You will always be blind to the other threat areas around you.

This is the ultimate super short version of what we are trained to do when we have to clear a building by ourselves: Start from the room you're in and clear room. Never pass an open room or threat area. Always keep the clear areas behind you and the threat areas in front of you when possible.

If you find a person, you want to engage them from behind concealment or cover if possible and again if you can you want to keep all the threat areas in front of you and all the areas you cleared behind you.

You should start giving loud verbal commands. If you see a gun have them place it on the ground and slide it across the floor towards you and check them for other weapons (easiest way is by making them show you their waistband, turn their pockets inside out and show you their ankles) then order them to get on the ground and face away from you. If/when they comply, scan for other threats, secure their weapon, and then check the rest of the threat areas for other intruders.

If you do this from behind cover and have the "safe" areas that you have already cleared behind you, you minimize the chance of being flanked or overpowered.

In reality the person in your house will probably run like hell when they come face to face with the barrel of a gun and an angry homeowner behind it. That's the number 1 fear of most burglars.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-16-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

GF needs a shotgun or something for stationary defense from behind the mattress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Bounce View Post
...How do I contain one intruder without knowing the possibility of others?
Not saying to do this, but did anybody else think "put him in a coffin"?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Stay close to your GF, stay up stairs and get ready, Only you know what to do if someone comes through the door , Insurance will cover your losses to theft .. Let them take what ever they want while you keep yourself and her safe

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #8

Liked 355 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 106

The sensible thing to do would be to sit tight and ring the police. Going round the house trying to clear it unless absolutely necessary would be stupid. Do that and get shot who's going to stop the intruder going after your family.

Last edited by manta; 10-16-2013 at 08:57 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Good advice posted so far, mostly.

Basically engage one intruder (whether that be shooting them because they are pointing a gun at you, or whatever the case may be, situation will dictate) first. Don't get tunnel vision. Try to scan the room with your peripheral vision while he's still a threat. Pay attention to noises. When the first threat is no longer a threat, start thoroughly searching the house for another threat.

As Delta said, clearing a room safely by yourself is very difficult, if not impossible. The idea is to not allow yourself to be flanked. No blind spots.

When we clear rooms, we stack up outside the door and enter one immediately after the other. The first guy peels off in one direction to clear his own segment of the room. Depending on what the first person in the stack does, the second will take a different sector. Each person is communicating at all times and they don't move onto the next room until everyone has verified their sector is clear, and therefore the room is clear.

The same principle can sort of be adopted to solo clearing. Don't allow blind spots as much as possible, and deal with the threat as quickly as you can. Everyone's house is setup differently so I can't Tell you specifically what plan to take. However, you need to figure it out, do some dry runs, and inform your woman of how it would work. Think about multiple plans, for multiple entrance point possibilities.

Glad nothing bad came from your experience.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Stay close to your GF, stay up stairs and get ready, Only you know what to do if someone comes through the door , Insurance will cover your losses to theft .. Let them take what ever they want while you keep yourself and her safe
Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
The sensible thing to do would be to sit tight and ring the police. Going round the house trying to clear it unless absolutely necessary would be stupid. Do that and get shot who's going to stop the intruder going after your family.
both of these are actually IMO the best suggestions. probably the safest in keeping your loved one safe as well. you have much better tactical advantage in staying put and behind whatever cover you can find.

now, if you have loved ones in other parts of the house, then this is not always an option and other methods will need to take place, to secure the others safety.
Anna_Purna Likes This