Home defense scenario! - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home defense scenario!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Call the police, tell them to send a unit. I'd tell them I have an infant and will defend her at all costs. Then, put the phone down and insure my daughter is upstairs, out of harms way. Position myself between the door, and my daughter.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 03-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Knock Knock

"Who's there?"

Bad guy!

"Bad guy WHO?"

Bad guy who will of course wait while you call the police.......

Old 03-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #63

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
Call the police, tell them to send a unit. I'd tell them I have an infant and will defend her at all costs. Then, put the phone down and insure my daughter is upstairs, out of harms way. Position myself between the door, and my daughter.
Not knowing the layout of your living area, consider the bad guy firing at you and missing, possibly going through the wall/ door of your daughters room. Just a thought.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #64

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

People get so caught up in the legal aspect of a home invasion shooting they really want to call police and yell out to the BG "Ive called police and I have a gun, please leave" to cover their own a**. If you really want to cover your a** before you pick up a phone or whatever you better make sure the threat isn't imminent. People who call police usually have time because of some kind of barrier or they are hiding. Yes we heard the 911 calls and let's hope we never have to make that call. One thing for sure and two for certain, if you don't have time to call police you need to take action and let a loved one call police or you may have just put all your family's safety in jeopardy trying to cover all legal aspect when a bad person is only trying to kill or take control of your domain. Calling 911 is for when you have time or after the threat has been eliminated. Just like a self defense shooting. Are you going to have time to call 911 while being attacked outside of your home. Maybe, but probably not.

Never enough guns or ammo

Old 03-27-2014, 03:22 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
calling 911 is a good option, if it's possible to do, but still needs to be done afterwards, to get help on the way ASAP. even if you don't fire your gun in SD and the BG runs away at the mere sight of it, i still think a police report of the incident is a good idea. just because, he may try again on someone who isn't armed and with a police report, they are now keeping an eye out for him.
An excellent idea. Just because you're armed and trained doesn't mean other people are. Sometimes you have to look out for others, whether they're capable of doing it themselves or not.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:47 AM   #66

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You should check your State or local Penal laws regarding 'Use of Deadly Physical Force'. Know your limits if you're placed in a position were DPF may come into play.
Many States have a 'Castle Doctrine' law that basically says your home is your Castle. Anyone who enters your home dwelling without your permission and you are in fear of harm, you can use DPF to stop the aggression. You do not have to yell, sing , tell funny jokes , whatever. They enter, you stop them. PERIOD. It's smart to call the police if you can, it's kind of 'Cover your azz' , if you are on the phone telling the dispatcher the situation in progress, you yell STOP and then gun shots. Think of what the jury will think if you're tried in a court of law, either Criminal or Civil. They hear you on tape shout STOP and then the gun shots.
On the other hand, some states require you to RETREAT until there is no other way to avoid you using DPF. Know the laws before you shoot.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Even if all you do is dial 911 and set the phone down, if you have time you should do it. I know a lot of you think you are a cross between Rambo and John Wayne, but what if you don't succeed in defending your home? What if the bad guy(s) shoot you? What if you are so injured you can't get to the phone? Wouldn't you rather have help on the way?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1972 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Even if all you do is dial 911 and set the phone down, if you have time you should do it. I know a lot of you think you are a cross between Rambo and John Wayne, but what if you don't succeed in defending your home? What if the bad guy(s) shoot you? What if you are so injured you can't get to the phone? Wouldn't you rather have help on the way?
This will start the ball rolling.
First the 911 operator will get the response started (if they have an address which will not happen with a cell phone unless you give it to them) and second the entire 'conversation' will be recorded.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #69

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Why not maintaining all of this but retreating to another room? if you are at your front door waiting you could easily retreat to another area (especially if you have family to protect) and make it so someone would have to come to you.

This give you a few advantages:

1. You can make it so their is only one direction someone can come from. You do not know if their buddy is coming from the back door.

2. If it does come to a lethal force situation it will be much easier to defend that they came looking for you.

3. Hopefully while you are doing this you are calling the police and they can get there prior to needing deadly force.

I know that many people look at this as a weak approach but having to use deadly force is not something most really want to do. Protecting your stuff is not worth all the legal issues or psychological issues you would have after a use of force.

Even if you are 100% justified attorneys are a lot more expensive than the deductible on your homeowners insurance

Old 03-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodsquito View Post
Why not maintaining all of this but retreating to another room? if you are at your front door waiting you could easily retreat to another area (especially if you have family to protect) and make it so someone would have to come to you.

This give you a few advantages:

1. You can make it so their is only one direction someone can come from. You do not know if their buddy is coming from the back door.

2. If it does come to a lethal force situation it will be much easier to defend that they came looking for you.

3. Hopefully while you are doing this you are calling the police and they can get there prior to needing deadly force.

I know that many people look at this as a weak approach but having to use deadly force is not something most really want to do. Protecting your stuff is not worth all the legal issues or psychological issues you would have after a use of force.

Even if you are 100% justified attorneys are a lot more expensive than the deductible on your homeowners insurance
I somewhat agree, if I'm the only one at home when the SHTF. But if there are other people in the house, I wouldn't retreat and leave them to the mercy of the invader(s).