Home defense revisited. - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Home defense revisited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post

Every time you aim a firearm at another person and pull the trigger, you are "shooting to kill," unless, as stated previously, you've made some obvious attempt to wound. Regurgitating silly, rote semantics won't change the evidence or facts of the case. I have a legal right to take the life of another, in order to defend myself or others. Of course, I would intend to take the life of "that" other, should "that" other give me good cause for doing so.

Nobody is going to argue that fact and it is the right thing to do in an engagement, of course. Problem is that there are a lot of rookie cops out there that don't want to make 'the call' and will take you down and let the grand jury decide if it was justified or needs to be heard by a court. And the grand jury, these days, with all the 'anti-gun noise' we are surrounded with is a coin toss from letting a judge make decisions on whether or not one was justified in shooting in defence. In the meantime, we are without gun(s), without permits, perhaps without liberties, with a sword hanging over our heads and with a legal bill piling up faster than poop in the chicken coops.

All I am suggesting is that one needs to watch out for the cow pies in the process.

Many of us have been shot at or had a gun stuck in our noses at one time or another. Up close and personal. There is not a smidgen of doubt what THOSE rules of engagement are. It's the grey areas that need clarification ahead of time; its the response that needs to be clearly practiced until it is reflexive, ahead of time (at the time you are going to be suffering auditory exclusion, fine motor skill loss and so on). I know I was the first time I had a gun stuck in my nose (Orlando FL). The second time anyone got close was an armed home invasion by druggies who couldn't manage to get the pry bars into the door to gain entrance (thank goodness) - had they gained entrance they would have been taken out the moment the crossed the threshold into my 'home'. And BOTH times I suffered all the good things that come along with being under close quarters attack... the first time I got lucky. The second time I was well-practiced and despite the alarm screaming, the lights being on and flashing outside and downstairs, etc., they kept coming (2). Funny thing is our doors although steel are half glass... and they are trying to pry them open. I am glad I did not have to protect myself and my loved ones as it took the local police about 3 minutes to arrive and they arrived in GREAT numbers and took the bad guys down at gunpoint. It was totally bizarre I can assure you. One thing for sure.... I would not like to wager on the aftermath of my having to shoot to protect my family. For sure it would have cost $$$ for legals at the very least. But at that point I had taken some significant lethal force encounter training for MY jurisdiction and would have been on autopilot; would have said what needed to be said and nothing more; would have taken the necessary actions and nothing more; and so on. I am suggesting there is much that can be done IN ADVANCE of a bad encounter to mitigate your damages regardless of the outcome (i.e. shoot or no shoot, kill or no kill, etc.).

Learn. Train hard. Practice constantly. I think you will find that this is the policy of all of our armed forces and most all LEO's and the reason that we have mostly the best in the world. Now if we could just get rid of that silly Beretta sidearm in 9mm. Who the heck figured that one out?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #42

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Oh crap!!

I guess that my set-up for easy access would be out of the question then, it stands next to my bed? Hell, the wife has one on her side of the bed, as well.

Home defense revisited. - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

Jack
What's in the briefcases...tactical nukes?
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #43

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Large case: Raptor NVG's and operational scopes.

Small case: Class III suppressors for selected handguns and rifles.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #44

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
"Having loaded guns all over the place is a definite biohazard. Why not just strap one on and be done with it? When you sit down you can put it down beside you if that makes you warm and fuzzy."

I DO "strap one on", even in my house. That way, I can shoot the bad guys really quickly if they decide to kick my doors in. I can now see why my grandparents left Canada. You just keep on practicing getting that safe open. I'm sure that the police will praise your civic conscience. Seriously, you need to move South. We can actually defend ourselves. I can reach right down and pull out a handful of Death whenever I feel that the threshold has been met, without asking "Mother, May I?" of some government pogue.
In short, Americans don't have to be murdered if we don't want to. In honor of the recently-departed Tango, I am both compelled and honored to call you a Effing Douche.
I don't live in a neighborhood which tells me what I can or cannot do. I'm an adult with a brain of my own. I can read, and I can think, so why the Hell would I need a gang of sheep dogs to keep me in line? I'm not busting on you personally, but you really need to grow a pair, Pierre.
A gun in a safe is not a home-defense tool. It's just a gun in a safe. I hope to Christ that you are a really good shot with a safe.
I agree, i take alot of crap from the wife because when im packin it stays out all day wherever im at in the house until i go to bed. When asked why i shot the perp 12 times i hope to be able to comback with the old because when i pulled the trigger the 13th time it just went click. Hope it never comes to that but with all the meth heads out there my lovely little town is going to pot...

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post

I think i may shed a tear at this wall of beauty....

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Oh crap!!

I guess that my set-up for easy access would be out of the question then, it stands next to my bed? Hell, the wife has one on her side of the bed, as well.

Home defense revisited. - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

Jack
ok now it has the pic and im in tears, Ill give you a dollar for it and my first born..

Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #47

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
I agree, i take alot of crap from the wife because when im packin it stays out all day wherever im at in the house until i go to bed. When asked why i shot the perp 12 times i hope to be able to comback with the old because when i pulled the trigger the 13th time it just went click. Hope it never comes to that but with all the meth heads out there my lovely little town is going to pot...
Someone is going to take you seriously. The correct response, of course, would be that the "ASSAILANT just kept on coming and I kept shooting until he stopped and dropped".... we were just saying yesterday that OUR lovely little town is going to pot as well. Home invasions in the neighborhood are up and we had one just 2 blocks away 2 days ago where the elderly couple were pistol whipped.

I understand where you are coming from with regards to the family but it has to be done. I don't pack all day long in the house but we do have a plan for wherever we are and the family knows what they need to do in the event of an event... and it took them some time to calm down after discussing it. But they know.

Saying that it went 'click' on the 13th. pull is not what you want to be saying, of course. You want to be saying that you continued to fire until the threat was stopped. And then you want to shut up and get lawyered up if pushed. Remember that if it goes to court every word you say is going to be twisted to the advantage of the prosecution to make points.

By the way, love the picture of the gun wall. Where are the rest of them? I don't see any grenade launchers. Did you know that tear gas is not a gas these days but rather a powder?

Last edited by Torontogunguy; 03-05-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #48

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogunguy View Post
The small GunVault is outstanding and so are the small pushbutton safes; they take very little time to open and it keeps everyone away from the guns. Unfortunately I have someone 'close' that put a .45 hollow point through their hand a couple of years ago and it is pretty much useless now (the hand... the .45 still works well though, if you can take any good news out of this). It was his mother's gun and it was locked in a flimsy way. And despite TWENTY years of handling firearms it took this "kid" only a fraction of a second. So I try to balance safety with readiness. And my radar is always up and on. Especially in rest stops. I'm still trying to figure out how to pee and stand ready to defend myself with my gun around my ankles. (It takes me two hands to do my business and I apologize if I am offending anyone or making them jeleous).
This works very well attached to your bed frame, nightstand or floor. Can be mounted vertical or horizontally. I don't have kids in the house anymore so I open it at night and my G17 is right there next to my pillow on my bed frame. Simply close it and the lid locks when I get up. The bedspread covers it during the day and you wouldn't know it's there.
fas1-mount-options-032.jpg  

Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

My M-N and Marlin .22 stay put away. My Ruger P95 stays on me 24/7. Hell its in the bathroom with me, beside me when I sleep, on my side while I cook dinner etc, etc. My H&R short barrel 12 gauge stays beside my bed with five in the mag. All I gotta do is pump and go!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #50

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger79 View Post
My M-N and Marlin .22 stay put away. My Ruger P95 stays on me 24/7. Hell its in the bathroom with me, beside me when I sleep, on my side while I cook dinner etc, etc. My H&R short barrel 12 gauge stays beside my bed with five in the mag. All I gotta do is pump and go!
My personal feelings are that the .22's are for plinking and target practice unless that's the only thing you have for defense that's handy. The Ruger P95 in 9mm is acceptable but at the low end of my range of acceptable calibres (I carry a Glock 26 9mm when I need to and really don't feel undergunned when doing so out of necessity... the key is to be able to empty an entire magazine ON target and WHILE moving towards cover or just to mess up the assailants sight picture... you have got to be good with a 9mm IMHO - but it does buck less than a .45 to be sure. In fact, my Glock 26 has a ported barrel to compensate even further and I can lay the whole magazine in the 9 0r 10 circle pretty much as fast as I can pull the trigger when still and in the 'pie plate' when moving). That 12 guage is probably your best CQB weapon of choice but I find it difficult to carry concealed so reserve it for the range and for home. I'm hoping that I never have to find out what kind of damage the #00 buckshot self defense rounds do. I have a pretty good idea what a right-thinking bad guy is going to do upon hearing a 12guage rack a round in the dark... but watching the two druggies trying to pry their way into my home last year being taken down by a dozen LEO's at gunpoint really makes me wonder about the effect on, well, druggies. The siren, pulsing inside and outside lights, 12 cops with guns and shotguns on them, etc., had little effect. They just kept trying to get the pry bars into the door frame. sic. And half the door was glass, to boot (albeit, reinforced glass - with metalwork between the glass lites that would slow them down and looked great; antique looking).

Let's all hope that we never have to find out what the aftermath of an 'event' would be... but like fire extinguishers that we hope never to have to use, let's be prepared and practiced (and yes, we took all the old fire extinguishers from our shop and practiced with them... there's lots that one takes for granted with these things that just isn't true).

Above all, be safe.