Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home defense revisited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't mind babble that makes sence,I read it with great interest.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #12

I keep a loaded 1911 next to me in bed and a loaded beretta px4 and a loaded s&w airweight in an easy access stackon safe in the bedroom closet. all other guns and ammo is locked in a secured safe and foot locker. I keep 1911 without chambering a round next to me when I'm sleeping, just in case for some ungodly reason I or my wife forget to put the gun away in the morning, my children cannot fire it. They are too small to rack the slide back. That will change soon. I am considering the biometric safe here soon next to the bed. I leave a unloaded gun around the house once in a while, always close by and never out of my sight. I test the don't touch, dad I found a gun test.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Last edited by gadrooning; 02-28-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #13

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have a 3 year old,so I keep just 1 loaded pistol in the house.I keep it in the master bedroom up on a high shelf in a closet,and my 3 year old isn't allowed in that room nor can she get in the room because of the child locks.I also keep the chamber empty just to be safe,but I keep the safety off because I taught my wife to just rack and pull the trigger.I used to have a revolver,but I feel more safe having a pistol,because if my child ever got to it-not that she ever could,but if one in a million she did,pulling the trigger will do nothing.I really do need to get a lockbox for it though,not only to make it safer,but so I can put the lockbox next to my bed rather than having to run to the closet if I ever needed the gun.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I have a 3 year old,so I keep just 1 loaded pistol in the house.I keep it in the master bedroom up on a high shelf in a closet,and my 3 year old isn't allowed in that room nor can she get in the room because of the child locks.I also keep the chamber empty just to be safe,but I keep the safety off because I taught my wife to just rack and pull the trigger.I used to have a revolver,but I feel more safe having a pistol,because if my child ever got to it-not that she ever could,but if one in a million she did,pulling the trigger will do nothing.I really do need to get a lockbox for it though,not only to make it safer,but so I can put the lockbox next to my bed rather than having to run to the closet if I ever needed the gun.
Please think about that lockbox soon. Better early than too late. Our son, bless his heart, learned to walk at age 2. At age 2 plus about a month he learned to climb. Little did we even think about that drawer at the bottom of the stove... and that day he pulled open the drawer and climbed up and pulled down a bowl of soup that was cooling at the back of the stove onto his head. We spent six months taking turns with him sleeping between us watching him so he would not touch his head as the skin would simply slide off... Today he is a robust 16 year old who can fly (pilot license) but cannot yet drive. He is the drum major of his Squadron. You would not know he was badly burned as a toddler.

My point is that things happen fast. Get yourself a GunVault sooner than later and set your mind at ease. They open fast.. Toss a couple of loaded spare magazines in there while you are at it. And don't forget to bolt it down and make sure the "no touch" rule is enforced. It only takes a split second. From one parent to another.

ADDED: Oh. One other thing. That 'toddler' is also a top notch shooter. Black Badge qualified and invited to join the Ontario Junior IPSC Team. Shoots from a holster faster and more accurate than his dad and owns two leftie AR16's which he is also very adept with. And, amazingly, can shoot 1.5" groups at 100M with iron sights and an Anschutz .22 on paper targets that I can't even see! He was invited to join a group of aspiring olympians on the spot but is far too busy flying and being drum major of the band. He has no recollection of the burn and no scarring; he is a handsome young man that knows exactly where he is going and getting the grades to get there (missed honour roll by 0.3 of a mark this year but they have promised to round it up to get him there). He has taken much lethal force training including military and private and including simunition training. And having said ALL of this to give you a background of the young man; he does NOT have the combination to the gunsafe as I personally do not believe that he has the 'tact or wherewithall' to ensure his visiting friends away from the pistols. He will be presented 'his' long guns this year, including the Anschutz, AR16's, Mauser .308, etc. as it's hard to shoot yourself in the foot with a long gun. Next year he will be presented with 'his' pistols which include two Glocks, a Ruger Mk II target, etc. And if I am so inclined at the time, I will buy him a GunVault for his bedroom as well to keep the guns hot and ready to go but safe from prying hands and fingers. It only takes a split second for a toddler to get at a gun that is hot and change everyone's life forever.

Last edited by Torontogunguy; 02-28-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have no need for safes and locks as i have no children and am not married. I have a very big doberman to protect my stuff when im gone as well as an extremely secure house. On top of that i live in the remote colorado wilderness you could say and am quite far from civilization and most of the bad guys. In my house i literally have a loaded gun in every room. whether it be a rifle, handgun or shotgun. They arent just laying out but are cleverly concealled.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A gun in a safe is not a home-defense asset. It's just a gun in a safe.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
A gun in a safe is not a home-defense asset. It's just a gun in a safe.
A gun in a combo lock safe that is in your basement is certainly not a home defense asset. Agreed. But some states and Canada have very specific gun storage laws and if you want to play with them be prepared to get your fingers burned. That's all.

The GunVault is a relatively secure (not as secure as a safe of course) storage means and one has to do what one has to do.

I do not consider myself a security 'expert' but I have spent a number of years in the security consulting business for some rather high end residential customers... and there are a few essential basics to home defense.

You need to understand in no uncertain terms that it does NOT boil down to whether or not you have a gun in your hand loaded and cocked ready to fire versus whatever... there is almost a set routine that has been developed through extensive experience over many years of experience that sets the stage for optimum home security and defense; it depends on how much you are willing to invest in the effort, both in terms of cash and in terms of your personal time and effort.

Anyone that thinks that having a gun in every room loaded and ready to rock is the end of the story is sadly mistaken and I would suggest that in most situations would be considered 'at risk' (at best).

Having everything in place ASIDES from that firearm and not having it readily available as quickly as possible given the laws of your jurisdiction is also a risk factor... having it locked in a safe with a combo lock unloaded and in a different room in your home.... well, I would not argue that it makes for a pretty useless tool.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #18

Having loaded guns all over the place is a definite biohazard. Why not just strap one on and be done with it? When you sit down you can put it down beside you if that makes you warm and fuzzy.

I would be thinking safety first in any event. Recently had someone I know put a .45 through his hand by accident (after 20 years of safe handling, one second of 'whooops' did it).

We need to weigh the advantages of what we are doing against the benefits. If you live in a neighborhood that dictates you have a loaded gun in every room I'd be looking to move.

Even in the wilderness, as it were, I can see carrying a loaded firearm and I can see having a shotgun loaded with slugs and buckshot perhaps or an AR with a couple of magazines at hand standing by out of sight and safe. But the guys that are walking around with three guns strapped on and have a hot handgun in every room of the house? I really have to wonder.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

"Having loaded guns all over the place is a definite biohazard. Why not just strap one on and be done with it? When you sit down you can put it down beside you if that makes you warm and fuzzy."

I DO "strap one on", even in my house. That way, I can shoot the bad guys really quickly if they decide to kick my doors in. I can now see why my grandparents left Canada. You just keep on practicing getting that safe open. I'm sure that the police will praise your civic conscience. Seriously, you need to move South. We can actually defend ourselves. I can reach right down and pull out a handful of Death whenever I feel that the threshold has been met, without asking "Mother, May I?" of some government pogue.
In short, Americans don't have to be murdered if we don't want to. In honor of the recently-departed Tango, I am both compelled and honored to call you a Effing Douche.
I don't live in a neighborhood which tells me what I can or cannot do. I'm an adult with a brain of my own. I can read, and I can think, so why the Hell would I need a gang of sheep dogs to keep me in line? I'm not busting on you personally, but you really need to grow a pair, Pierre.
A gun in a safe is not a home-defense tool. It's just a gun in a safe. I hope to Christ that you are a really good shot with a safe.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #20

I carry a Ruger P95 all day and at night it goes on my tv or next to the bed in a holster riged to the bed frame.I also have a 20 ga. for the wife that is 2 steps away from her side in a closet. and if worse comes to worse we always have the DPMS AR hanging on the wall up high so the little one can't get to it even though we use a gate to keep him out of that room still rather be safe.