Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Home defense revisited. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/home-defense-revisited-22214/)

MB44 01-15-2010 05:36 PM

Home defense revisited.

OK, here we go again...

I would like to know how you guys do home defense. Not so much what type of firearms you use, as this was already covered in a previous thread (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/how-do-you-do-home-defense-21611/), but rather
  1. Where and how you store/keep the firearm(s).
  2. What safe do you use, and do you keep it locked/open - day/night.
  3. Do you keep your firearms all together, or do you deposit multiple firearms around in your home.
  4. What type of consideration/arrangements do you do if you have kids in the house.
  5. And what about your “significant other”… how does she/he participate in this scheme.

General_lee 01-15-2010 06:18 PM

Well I don't have a spouse or kids yet and i'm currently still living with the parents.
There are no children in my house, so I don't have to worry about that.
I keep one beside my bed on the nightstand, one on the computer desk and usually the rest in the gun cabinet.

Hobo Bob 01-15-2010 09:35 PM

I carry all day, when I go to bed, I put it on the nightstand.

I keep a SP101 next to my chair in the living room where I sit while watching TV.

I keep all of my guns in a closet in my bedroom.

When my Grandkids visit us, they all are unloaded and stored. They know where they are, but have been raised as I raised my son's, they they are not toys.

My wife shoots almost as good as I do. She has no problem with function on any of my guns. She knows where they are at, but doesn't carry. She carries heavy duty spray I got from a neighbor gun dealer. It's LEO strength, and she likes it better for ease of carry.

My GSD is my early warning system. Don't try and sneak up. He loves to play that game.

MoHawk 01-15-2010 09:42 PM

I live with 2 other men (strictly heterosexual LOL). We all carry and have our own living spaces. We each handle our own when it comes to home defense but we work well togetehr as well. As far as I am concerned.... .45 on the bed next to me, whatever else I am carrying holstered by the bedroom door. 12g mounted on the wall in the staircase so you have to reach up for it and it is not very noticeable. Since all the bedrooms are upstairs, we try not to leave any firearms down stairs incase some a$$clown breaks in unarmed, now all of a sudden we've armed him....

jimbobpissypants 01-16-2010 01:53 AM

Nice twist on an old question.
Most of my guns are in the downstairs safes.
Besides the bed I keep one of those fingerprint to open safes. In the safe is my wife's sp101 and my Para ordnance p1445. Halogen flashlight on top of safe. I do keep a shot gun in my closet which is locked up high where my kids can't reach it. Shotty is not loaded, in case the kide (5 and 9) would find a way to get in. Shotty is also well hidden, and kids don't know it's in there.
I really can't keep more guns scattered around the house because of the kids.
Wifey is proficient with her little revolver.
Probably the most part of our home defense is our dogs. One barks alot. One doesn't bark, just sneaks up, puts his nose in your crotch and waits for my command. If you're cool, so is he. If you're anything but cool, he's trained to deal with it.
I feel this is the most important part because no one sneaks up on us and they buy me time to get hands on the shotty.

Silvertip 44 01-17-2010 03:01 AM

I live here with my little dog so I don't have to worry about children until my granddaughters come over. I keep all not in use in two gun safes locked at all times.
I carry all the time so one is on me, one is in my recliner arm. A semi auto shotgun is in the corner by my bed. I also place my carry pistol on the nightstand after I set the alarm.

canebrake 01-17-2010 03:09 AM

I don't carry while in the house but there is a loaded handgun <15 steps away anywhere in the house.

Scott3670 01-17-2010 03:14 AM

I keep my SIG P250 fully loaded in the nightstand. I also put on a Surefire flashight on it. An extra mag, another flashlight, and a Benchmade folder finish off my kit.

treehugger49 01-17-2010 01:35 PM

The short version: bedroom has deadbolt lock with thumbolt from the inside to facilitate becoming a "safe room." Door is solid wood - not hollow core type.

My XD is usually on me until bedtime, at which time it goes on the bedside table. It stays in Condition One at all times.

Next to the XD is my cellphone.

Next to the cellphone is a Surefire 6P w/ xenon bulb conversion.

My wife's XD-9SC w/ Trijicon night sights is with two steps of her.

We realize a deadbolt lock won't stop someone hellbent on coming through the door, but it will surely slow him down long enough for us to get to cover and begin our rehearsed process of calling 911, issuing verbal commands, readying for the shot, etc. A script for the purpose of conversing with the 911 operator isn't a bad idea, either. Under circumstances of high stress folks are known to forget their address and other essential information...

Torontogunguy 02-27-2010 02:59 AM

At home I do not feel the need to carry; my .45 Glock 30 sits bedside locked up in a bolted down GunVault with two spare magazines and the strongest flashlights I could buy. But if you are counting on that .45 to protect you it is a grave error. Having been some years in the security business the story of self defence is a looooooong one. Here are a few points to note:
1. Know your neighbors for at least a half dozen homes in both directions, both sides of the street and behind you. Make sure they know you and your family from the front, the back, the side and upside down... make sure they know the way you walk and talk. Take nightly walks around the corner.
2. Protect your perimeter. Trim back trees and hedges so that the front and sides of your home are visible from the street; ditto the back yard. You want modesty and privacy? Install curtains. Install a quality alarm system that will protect that perimeter at all times, home or away. That includes the garage. Install steel doors and if you want glass in those doors ensure that it is protective either by metal inserts between the panes or by anti-burglary film properly installed by a professional. Put quality deadbolts on every door as well as a peg in the floor or one of the fancy metal doo-dads that allows you to open the door a few inches but prevents it from being kicked in. Make sure your door hinges are on the INSIDE. Etc.
3. Protect your property. Dog is truly man's best friend but you MUST train the dog not to bark unless someone is ON your property and to stop barking on your command so you can hear what is going on. That has prevented TWO home invasions for us. The dogs were little wee ones but very loud. Second benefit is that the bad guys would rather break into a home without barking. It's just plain easier.
4. Put the alarm keypad by the front door so the BG's can see it from outside if possible. Put alarm stickers all over the place. Put a panel in your bedroom so you can arm/disarm before retiring or while home. Have panic buttons for police/ambulance installed in strategic locations (cheap). DO NOT be afraid to use them.
5. Ensure that you have a phone bedside AND that you have a cellular phone bedside or on you at all times. DO NOT be afraid to call for help. Better safe than sorry and the LEO's would rather be investigating strange noises than strange shootings.
6. If you choose to use a firearm to protect yourself in the event of a breakin you must only use it if you fear for your well-being. Regardless of what the law says about castle doctrine or whatever. Shoot until the threat stops and no more. My personal policy - rules of engagement, are simple. You enter my home and I holler at you to get out and you proceed further into my home in my direction I am going to empty my magazine into you until you aren't moving any longer. What to do after this is well laid out in this forum elsewhere and should be taught to you when you take your lethal force courses. They must be automatic and reflexive because you are going to go onto autopilot when the shooting occurs. Auditory exclusion, fine motor skills, etc., will all go out the window. You need to have practiced to the extend that you go onto autopilot and do all the right things when a shooting takes place. Makes sure that your firearms are secured when LEOs arrive as they will not know that you are the good guy/victim.

Last but not least, read the posts on this forum and get trained and practiced! You need to know what to say and what to do after a shooting.

You need to know your personal rules of engagement and you need to communicate them to your family (they will not like what you are saying, trust me... but they will remember). AND you need to be prepared in no uncertain terms to engage when those rules are tripped. Ever hear the stories of the LEO and the bad guy who, at ten feet apart, each fired ten or twenty rounds at each other and did not have a single round hit the target? Remember that when you are practicing.

ABOVE ALL, you need to remember that it is better to be sad and upset that you have shot someone, perhaps taking their life.... than it is to be room temperature and heading for a stainless steel slab.

There are far too many tips to even begin to discuss in one posting and you need to get trained and practiced. Clearing your home is not a good practice... let the LEO's do that. Make sure your family has the game plan understood and well understood. In our home it is simple. Everyone comes to our bedroom and we take cover (pre determined). Anything comes through that bedroom door not wearing a uniform is going to be stopped the moment the cross the threshold.

One last thing. This CENTER OF MASS thing. We were trained that COM is a fallacy. What you really want to aim for is called the 'Centre of the Cardiovascular Triangle" and runs between the nipples and up to the base of the throat (from either side). That is NOT an assured immediate stop shot. And I don't care if you are using a .50 and poke a hole right through the middle of the perp's pump. It is a bleedout shot if the perp is on drugs.... the only 'dead stop' shot is the 'dead stop shot triangle' which takes out a portion of the cerebellum; and it runs roughly from across the upper lip with the apex at the bridge of the nose. A well placed shot here will stop things most times on the spot and it is the shot LEO snipers are trained to use in hostage situations because there is generally not even a reflexive thumb pull on the trigger of the perp. The hostage's best chance of survival and a shot that you may one day be called upon to make... hence my final recommendation and that is range time. Not just shooting at targets but moving and shooting or shooting from cover.

Sorry to babble on. Should have just posted the DVD version. You get the idea in any event. CCW/CWP comes with great responsibility and it is up to you to use that firearm for more than just escalating the level of violence. If you truly want to protect yourself and your family you are going to have to invest some time and money.... be safe.