Home defense - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #31
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin-owner View Post
Does anyone know how much it would cost for two high points in 380 for me and my wife? I chose 380 because I literally weigh in at 125 and a 9mm kicks a little too much I know penetration is not the best but I want something I won't struggle with to defend my family. I know hi points are still in production and come new with warranty. Any first hand exp posts would help as well. Thank you guys for the help
Recoil is as much a matter of the weight of the gun as it is the cartridge you are shooting. If you found a round felt like it kicked too much, then try a heavier pistol. Check out an all steel 9mm like a CZ 75, or 1911 variant.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Another question are hi points okay to. Carry one in the chamber? Is it trustworthy to carry on safety?
Yes.

They are big and heavy even the 380s. They do need a lot of break in shooting because not everything that rolls off the line at hipoint is reliable out of the box.

Another issue you will face if your going to carry one is finding a good holster. No gun, no matter the design, is safe to carry without being in a holster that covers the trigger guard and protects the trigger from foriegn objects or errant fingers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-16-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You guys should look up hi-point ultimate test on YouTube they run it over with a diesel truck submerge it in mud and hammer three giant screws down the barrel filling the rest with gun powder and +p rounds and it didn't blow up. It's a four part video. The only way they could get it to blow up was a vise clamped over the muzzle and the rear of the gun filling it a fourth time with powder and jamming a 9mm +p round in the chamber it was the hi point cf-380. Ohio police are now carrying the hi point carbine in there trunks instead of colt ar-15s I am picking one up hopefully sometime mid next week. Yes they are ugly but after all my research on them I have never seen a gun perform like that.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #34

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

My 1911 is a design that has been tested for over a 100 years and many conflicts. It's hard to beat those statistics.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i am not trying to start argument between brands but the money you pay for name brand. there is a reason just because a gun is not 800 dollars doesn't mean its trash. its expensive because government uses it. plus all the fees the government asks to produce it. in reality a colt name brand 1911 only costs around 200 dollars to make. the price you pay is the government saying you as a civilian have to pay such and such amount to own what we use. if hi point offers the same durability as any other pistol out there why is it not 800 dollars? do you see any government using it? no. that's why its cheap. cheap doesn't mean how well the gun works. and why would you use a 1000 dollar piece in self defense if they seize your weapon anyhow? it seems like a waste of money to me. and the reason why the government uses the colts and glocks are mag cap that is why you pay a small fortune to own it. hi point is 7+1 in pistols and 10+1 in there carbine line. it would be stupid to use that in war. this is one case when you get more then you pay for in durability out of hi point. its just as good as colt. its been proven.

Last edited by marlin-owner; 07-17-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
i am not trying to start argument between brands but the money you pay for name brand. there is a reason just because a gun is not 800 dollars doesn't mean its trash. its expensive because government uses it. plus all the fees the government asks to produce it. in reality a colt name brand 1911 only costs around 200 dollars to make. the price you pay is the government saying you as a civilian have to pay such and such amount to own what we use. if hi point offers the same durability as any other pistol out there why is it not 800 dollars? do you see any government using it? no. that's why its cheap. cheap doesn't mean how well the gun works. and why would you use a 1000 dollar piece in self defense if they seize your weapon anyhow? it seems like a waste of money to me. and the reason why the government uses the colts and glocks are mag cap that is why you pay a small fortune to own it. hi point is 7+1 in pistols and 10+1 in there carbine line. it would be stupid to use that in war. this is one case when you get more then you pay for in durability out of hi point. its just as good as colt. its been proven.
i have no idea where you come by this information. a Colt only costs $200 to make? the govenment now dictates the costs of firearms to civilians? and a Hi-Point has the same durability as a Colt or some of the other makers of quality pistols?

a Hi-Point is cheap to sell because it's cheap to make. granted most are pretty durable and built like tanks and have a great warranty, and good CS. but in way is it in the same league as a Colt, a Ruger, a Smith & Wesson or even a RIA! none! even the Glock is heads above.

i suggest you do some more research before posting such comments! it could save you much embarrassment in the future. before you get up on some high horse about Hi-Point again, i will say this, they are a good choice for someone on a very tight budget that needs a SD/HD firearm and they do have a decent reputation as being reliable, but if someone has a bigger budget, there are much, much better choices than the Hi-Point.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #37

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

its frustrating when ppl flame when they dont know what they are talking about. i saw gun smiths out shoot kimber 1911's burnout over them with trucks twice. hammer four large screws down the barrel. take an electric grinder to the internal parts. leave it in mud. and it still worked. you dont know what your talking about. and the government has always dictated price of guns.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #38

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin-owner
its frustrating when ppl flame when they dont know what they are talking about. i saw gun smiths out shoot kimber 1911's burnout over them with trucks twice. hammer four large screws down the barrel. take an electric grinder to the internal parts. leave it in mud. and it still worked. you dont know what your talking about. and the government has always dictated price of guns.
Do you work for Hi-Point?, I have read many good and bad things about Hi-Point. I would prefer to depend on a brand I trust. Bottom line, I will not trust my life on a $200 weapon.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
bub, i do know a few things about firearms, as i have been owning, shooting and working on them for over 40 years. and if you read the post i made, i never said the Hi-Point was crap, did i? no i didn't. i said they were not in the same league as the some of the better pistols and they were cheap to sell because the are cheap to make. the government now dictates what prices firearms are going to be? how so? you think that Hi-Point is exempt from the same regulations and permits as the other brands is why they are cheaper?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #40

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have a 12 gauge,9mm pistol and 44 mag revolver ready to go,but my go to gun is that revolver,its the most reliable.I don't suggest a .44 mag unless you download it with a lesser load,but maybe a 357 or .45acp revolver would be a good choice.But,I use them all,if its daytime I will pocket my 9mm to answer the door because its concealable,but if its going down I'm gonna go for that .44 or 12gauge if I can get to it.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves