Home defense - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
My HD gun is a Mossy Defender 12ga 18.5 bl It is my choice for all of the reasons previously mentioned. Other than that, a 12ga blast will penetrate the walls of a typical home. But it wont be deadly much beyond that. Your 357 / .45/etc, will go thru your wall into the neighbors house, or who knows where, a half mile down the street ? This would especially be a concern to apartment dwellers, or if you have family members in other rooms of your house. The down side of 5 or 6, 00-12ga rounds into the cockroach that broke into your home, would be cleanup. The juice, and chunks would probably ruin your shop vac.
Readygirl, i would say that clean-up of an intruder's vitals off the surfaces of my house would be a small price that i'm willing to pay, if it saved my family.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 627

"a handgun is what you use to fight your way to a shotgun or rifle."

If you are on the lower end of firearms experience and training, I would go with any of the reputable 12 ga shotguns: Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 jump immediately to mind. If you've been trained on clearing the corners, slicing the pie, weapons retention and night firing, then a pistol may be more appropriate, but stick with low muzzle flash/quieter rounds for indoor fire - magnum loads make you deaf and blind quickly!

Also, I fully agree with the others that have said to keep a home defense weapon loaded. When it happens, you will not have long to respond.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 07-14-2012 at 01:20 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #13

Liked 744 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Believe it or not, the weapon with the least over penetration is several tests I've seen was a 223.
That could be, but i think i will stick with old trusty. I trap shoot every Wed, so my 12ga shotguns are what i get the most trigger time on, and what i am the most comfortable with.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #14

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I heard some guy say one time that a shotgun is like artillery when it comes to HD, meant to be fired from a fixed position into a known field of fire, ie in your safe room with all loved ones present and accounted for. His points are that a long gun can easy be taken away, can be awkward if you have to move around, does not leave you a free hand to gather the kids, turn on lights, open doors etc. He felt that if you are going to own ONE home defense weapon that a hand gun is a better choice (in 9mm or .45 with HP rounds). I used to be of the 12ga for HD crowd, but now I think I side more with Massad Ayoob. Please note, not all situations are the same, and what works for one person might not work for you. Personally, I have options and a plan. I get the kids with my .45 in hand, my wife calls 911 from our room with the 12ga ready to go and a 9mm on back up. Then the whole crew heads into the master bath. There is only one way in there and I can see them coming from a mirror in the bedroom. If things go as planned a BG has almost no chance of survival in my house. This assumes he gets past the dog.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #15

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

I personally don't like pump shotguns for home defense if there's more than one person in your house with a weapon sorry to say but a pump shotgun you have to pump and that's to slow for my comfort zone I always keep a semi auto handgun with at least three extra clips close by As for what semi auto you chose try em out I love my American classic 1911 got it for right under 500 and my dad keeps a saiga 12g at his home.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Think hard about your home defense setup. You have to look first at where you live.
For me, I live in a duplex. What's more, it's in a row of them. Any fire directed to the right or left will punch right through into the next unit like in an apartment...

Shotguns have the varying loads to consider. At the kind of ranges you would face inside a "regular" house, buckshot, may as well be a slug. Even birdshot won't spread THAT much. (hit the range and try it. 1-3-5 yards, various loads...)

Also think about the law, the layout (where are the doors in relation to where the bedrooms are, etc.)

My plan went from "grab the AR and go find the noise" to a more realistic "go to safe room (bedroom) and call, 911 and wait."

If me and mine are behind a blocked door, I shouldn't NEED my gun, but if I do, I dont think there will be much of a difference between my glock 21, my Ruger LCR, my Remington 870, or my Colt LE6020...

As far as a gun under $500
I'd say a good condition used revolver.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #17

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed

Home defense guns are to be loaded at all times. This intimidating racking of the slide crap is old news there Hollywood.

Long guns aren't ideal for HD as they are LONG!!! you want a pistol in CQB.

OP, you don't like Glock, I'm not gonna call you names for that. Look into a M&P. Affordable, reliable ... good stuff.... if kept loaded.
Yes yes. They all stay loaded. It just sounds cool. In reality I would not rack it if some one was in my house. All my handguns, my 870, and my AR stay loaded.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #18

Liked 173 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 20

IMO, the Mossberg 500 18.5 or 20 inch barrel is the way to go, it is tried and true and very cheap. The Mavrick, made by Mossberg, is even cheaper and just as reliable.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
I personally don't like pump shotguns for home defense if there's more than one person in your house with a weapon sorry to say but a pump shotgun you have to pump and that's to slow for my comfort zone
A shotgun's speed depends on the person holding it. Someone new to a shotgun will naturally be slow, but if you practice enough, you can become really fast.

This is an extreme example, but it shows that a pump can be just as fast as a semi.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #20

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

2 shell in or high will get to a big dog