Home defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Home defense

Okay everyone I have a question. What would be a decent home defense tool price range 500$. Not a fan of glock. Open to everything in that price range wether it be rifle shotgun or pistol I want to hear suggestions and what you all use. I'm excited to hear what you all have to say! Happy shooting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

The best thing in my op is a 12ga. Much easier to hit targets with. And to me much more intimidating. If I hear a shotgun rack I'm not staying around to see what happens next. Just my preference.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
The best thing in my op is a 12ga. Much easier to hit targets with. And to me much more intimidating. If I hear a shotgun rack I'm not staying around to see what happens next. Just my preference.
I agree with the shotgun (18.5" barrel is best). Unless your home has really tight corners, hallways, ect, it is a good choice. Some people don't think the sound of the racking would be intimidating (it's possible the BG wouldn't know what the sound was, and it's best not to give them a head start to attack you anyways), but the shotgun itself will make the BG **** themselves.

If you are set on a handgun, look into a Springfield Armory XD, S&W M&P, High Standard 1911, or Rock Island 1911. All of these are around $500, or even a little less. There are also several revolvers available for less than $500 that would make an excellent HD gun.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #4

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

With a price of $500, I would suggest a lower priced 12 ga HD gun. There are several for $200 to $300. With the remaining you could buy a Hi point 9 m/m pistol or carbine. I'm not a huge fan of Hi point guns but they always shoot when they are supposed to.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
With a price of $500, I would suggest a lower priced 12 ga HD gun. There are several for $200 to $300. With the remaining you could buy a Hi point 9 m/m pistol or carbine. I'm not a huge fan of Hi point guns but they always shoot when they are supposed to.
i agree, the choice of a decent shotgun can be had for a only a portion of your budget. IMO, the shotgun is probably one of the best options available for HD type firearm. the pump shotgun is easy and simple enough for anyone to learn how to use. doesn't require the same precision in aiming as does a pistol, though they do still need to be aimed to be able to hit the intended target. the choice of ammo can be tailored to you individual needs.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Home defense guns are to be loaded at all times. This intimidating racking of the slide crap is old news there Hollywood.

Long guns aren't ideal for HD as they are LONG!!! you want a pistol in CQB.

OP, you don't like Glock, I'm not gonna call you names for that. Look into a M&P. Affordable, reliable ... good stuff.... if kept loaded.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #7

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

I agree with the shotgun (18.5" barrel is best). Unless your home has really tight corners, hallways, ect, it is a good choice. Some people don't think the sound of the racking would be intimidating (it's possible the BG wouldn't know what the sound was, and it's best not to give them a head start to attack you anyways), but the shotgun itself will make the BG **** themselves.

If you are set on a handgun, look into a Springfield Armory XD, S&W M&P, High Standard 1911, or Rock Island 1911. All of these are around $500, or even a little less. There are also several revolvers available for less than $500 that would make an excellent HD gun.
+1 for the High Standard 1911 " obvious reasons" :-)

Also, my Stoeger M2000 defense semi auto shotty was $500, its been a darn good shotgun.

20120710_143342-1.jpg

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

I'd go for the shotgun as well if where to put it is not an issue. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are always good choices.

If you want something that will fit in a drawer: 357, 9, 40, 45. Take you pick from any of the major manufacturers.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #9

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

My HD gun is a Mossy Defender 12ga 18.5 bl It is my choice for all of the reasons previously mentioned. Other than that, a 12ga blast will penetrate the walls of a typical home. But it wont be deadly much beyond that. Your 357 / .45/etc, will go thru your wall into the neighbors house, or who knows where, a half mile down the street ? This would especially be a concern to apartment dwellers, or if you have family members in other rooms of your house. The down side of 5 or 6, 00-12ga rounds into the cockroach that broke into your home, would be cleanup. The juice, and chunks would probably ruin your shop vac.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
My HD gun is a Mossy Defender 12ga 18.5 bl It is my choice for all of the reasons previously mentioned. Other than that, a 12ga blast will penetrate the walls of a typical home. But it wont be deadly much beyond that. Your 357 / .45/etc, will go thru your wall into the neighbors house, or who knows where, a half mile down the street ? This would especially be a concern to apartment dwellers, or if you have family members in other rooms of your house. The down side of 5 or 6, 00-12ga rounds into the cockroach that broke into your home, would be cleanup. The juice, and chunks would probably ruin your shop vac.
Believe it or not, the weapon with the least over penetration is several tests I've seen was a 223.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA