Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Home defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/home-defense-68133/)

marlin-owner 07-13-2012 08:31 AM

Home defense

Okay everyone I have a question. What would be a decent home defense tool price range 500$. Not a fan of glock. Open to everything in that price range wether it be rifle shotgun or pistol I want to hear suggestions and what you all use. I'm excited to hear what you all have to say! Happy shooting. :) :)

lbwar15 07-13-2012 08:46 AM

The best thing in my op is a 12ga. Much easier to hit targets with. And to me much more intimidating. If I hear a shotgun rack I'm not staying around to see what happens next. Just my preference.

texaswoodworker 07-13-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 868257)
The best thing in my op is a 12ga. Much easier to hit targets with. And to me much more intimidating. If I hear a shotgun rack I'm not staying around to see what happens next. Just my preference.

I agree with the shotgun (18.5" barrel is best). Unless your home has really tight corners, hallways, ect, it is a good choice. Some people don't think the sound of the racking would be intimidating (it's possible the BG wouldn't know what the sound was, and it's best not to give them a head start to attack you anyways), but the shotgun itself will make the BG **** themselves.

If you are set on a handgun, look into a Springfield Armory XD, S&W M&P, High Standard 1911, or Rock Island 1911. All of these are around $500, or even a little less. There are also several revolvers available for less than $500 that would make an excellent HD gun.

hiwall 07-13-2012 11:38 PM

With a price of $500, I would suggest a lower priced 12 ga HD gun. There are several for $200 to $300. With the remaining you could buy a Hi point 9 m/m pistol or carbine. I'm not a huge fan of Hi point guns but they always shoot when they are supposed to.

Axxe55 07-13-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 868871)
With a price of $500, I would suggest a lower priced 12 ga HD gun. There are several for $200 to $300. With the remaining you could buy a Hi point 9 m/m pistol or carbine. I'm not a huge fan of Hi point guns but they always shoot when they are supposed to.

i agree, the choice of a decent shotgun can be had for a only a portion of your budget. IMO, the shotgun is probably one of the best options available for HD type firearm. the pump shotgun is easy and simple enough for anyone to learn how to use. doesn't require the same precision in aiming as does a pistol, though they do still need to be aimed to be able to hit the intended target. the choice of ammo can be tailored to you individual needs.

willfully armed 07-13-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 868257)

Home defense guns are to be loaded at all times. This intimidating racking of the slide crap is old news there Hollywood.

Long guns aren't ideal for HD as they are LONG!!! you want a pistol in CQB.

OP, you don't like Glock, I'm not gonna call you names for that. Look into a M&P. Affordable, reliable ... good stuff.... if kept loaded.

MrWray 07-14-2012 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

I agree with the shotgun (18.5" barrel is best). Unless your home has really tight corners, hallways, ect, it is a good choice. Some people don't think the sound of the racking would be intimidating (it's possible the BG wouldn't know what the sound was, and it's best not to give them a head start to attack you anyways), but the shotgun itself will make the BG **** themselves.

If you are set on a handgun, look into a Springfield Armory XD, S&W M&P, High Standard 1911, or Rock Island 1911. All of these are around $500, or even a little less. There are also several revolvers available for less than $500 that would make an excellent HD gun.

+1 for the High Standard 1911 " obvious reasons" :-)

Also, my Stoeger M2000 defense semi auto shotty was $500, its been a darn good shotgun.

Attachment 51360

ScottA 07-14-2012 12:54 AM

I'd go for the shotgun as well if where to put it is not an issue. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are always good choices.

If you want something that will fit in a drawer: 357, 9, 40, 45. Take you pick from any of the major manufacturers.

readygirl 07-14-2012 01:01 AM

My HD gun is a Mossy Defender 12ga 18.5 bl It is my choice for all of the reasons previously mentioned. Other than that, a 12ga blast will penetrate the walls of a typical home. But it wont be deadly much beyond that. Your 357 / .45/etc, will go thru your wall into the neighbors house, or who knows where, a half mile down the street ? This would especially be a concern to apartment dwellers, or if you have family members in other rooms of your house. The down side of 5 or 6, 00-12ga rounds into the cockroach that broke into your home, would be cleanup. The juice, and chunks would probably ruin your shop vac.

ScottA 07-14-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl (Post 868937)
My HD gun is a Mossy Defender 12ga 18.5 bl It is my choice for all of the reasons previously mentioned. Other than that, a 12ga blast will penetrate the walls of a typical home. But it wont be deadly much beyond that. Your 357 / .45/etc, will go thru your wall into the neighbors house, or who knows where, a half mile down the street ? This would especially be a concern to apartment dwellers, or if you have family members in other rooms of your house. The down side of 5 or 6, 00-12ga rounds into the cockroach that broke into your home, would be cleanup. The juice, and chunks would probably ruin your shop vac.

Believe it or not, the weapon with the least over penetration is several tests I've seen was a 223.