Holsters for a car - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Holsters for a car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH_1185 View Post
Ok gotcha. It does seem very vague about the laws on that. I am trying to get a class scheduled to get my ccw but it seems they are all packed for a few months. People must be scared that right will be taken away I'm thinking. I have heard of the three step law which is kinda vague to me.
The three step law is vague because it doesn't exist in Florida. As far as I know, it never has. I think it is mainly a guideline for LEOs to determine what is legally stored and what isn't, and it errs on the overkill side of things.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ok so definitely some grey area. So if I put my gun in my center console also in a snap holster I should be fine even if its loaded? Or should I put it in the glove box in a snap holster? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #13

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Be safe not sorry.You're best bet is to read the new book on Florida gun laws and if you are unsure about some of the things ask a lawyer.I have carried for quite a while as I've stated without issue but you may run into an Leo who has had a bad day or is new.You never really know.Like the Boy Scouts ,"Be prepared".

Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #14

This is as the statute reads
790.25 Lawful Ownership ,Possession ,and use of Firearms and Other Weapons.
(5)Possession in Private Conveyance .-- Not withstanding subsection(2),it is lawful and is not a violation of s.790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance ,without a license ,ifthe firearm or other weapon is securely encased or otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use,ownership,and possession of firearms and other weapons,including lawful self defense as provided in s.776.012
790.001 Definitions .-- As Used in this chapter,except where the context otherwise requires;
(17)"Securely encased" means in a glove box compartment,weather or not locked;snapped in a holster;in a gun case,weather or not locked;in a zippered unease;or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks alot. You guys are always a great help. The only thing unclear is
Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for lawful use. That other than a handgun statement.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Ok so definitely some grey area. So if I put my gun in my center console also in a snap holster I should be fine even if its loaded? Or should I put it in the glove box in a snap holster? I'd rather be safe than sorry.
The way it has been explained to me on several occasions is either one is completely acceptable. You could probably get by in most cases without the holster if it is in a container with a lid or door. To play it safe I would keep it in a holster, but the snap is not necessary. Many LEOs and concealed carry instructors even use the example of a shoebox on the passenger seat, but I don't think I would trust every LEO to accept that.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 1142 Posts
Likes Given: 587

In NC open carry is legal. In our area unless alcohol or drugs are involved very few officers will enforce weapons laws. I could easily carry a weapon all the time without a permit. I don't like the idea of my my heart rate jumping every time an officer follows me, so I got a permit. Don't look for ways to avoid getting a permit. Go on and get a permit. If you don't have a permit and you have to use your gun you are going to jail, even though it was self defense.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
In NC open carry is legal. In our area unless alcohol or drugs are involved very few officers will enforce weapons laws. I could easily carry a weapon all the time without a permit. I don't like the idea of my my heart rate jumping every time an officer follows me, so I got a permit. Don't look for ways to avoid getting a permit. Go on and get a permit. If you don't have a permit and you have to use your gun you are going to jail, even though it was self defense.
I second this opinion and is why I got my license .

Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Very true. Hopefully all this crazy stuff will calm down so I can get into a class for my permit. All local classes are booked for months now. Thanks again guys.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Very true. Hopefully all this crazy stuff will calm down so I can get into a class for my permit. All local classes are booked for months now. Thanks again guys.
If you pm me with you're county I may be able to find you a place within driving distance.I'm in Sarasota/Charlotte county.