holster questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > holster questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default holster questions

I have a Beretta PX4 compact. After I get my concealed carry permit i will be the handgun I carry.

So I need some opinions on types of holsters Ano/or carry positions.

Also I found a guy locally that can make a kydex holster for me for 35. Is that a good price and is that a good material?

Thank for tge help

Beretta PX4 9mm compact
Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 AM   #2

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

There are basically 5 types of materials I'm familiar with.
- Leather
- Ballistic Nylon
- Kydex
- Injection molded polys
- Elastic bands

$35.00 is very reasonable for most Kydex holsters especially if he makes you what you want.

How do you think you want to carry? IWB (inside the waistband), OWB (outside the waistband), either can be concealed by a long tail shirt or coat.

Here is about 315 links to other mfgs....for real.
http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/technical/Holsters.html

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Im thinking IWB but im open to suggestions but for $35 I might do both. Any opinions on kydex.

Beretta PX4 9mm compact
Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox

Old 04-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #4

IWB allows two options - Tuckable and non-tuckable. Tuckable to me is a more difficult option to fill. There are lots of non-tuckable options in about every material available.

IMO - the most compact will by a one-piece Kydex with the clip molded as an extension of the shell.
One piece for Glock:

I have a Kydex shell on an AlienGear leather hybrid. I also have the Blade-Tech Revolution injection molded that comes with the M&P Range Carry kit.

The Kydex is like another skin on the gun. Fits very well. Kydex fits fine too but the belt attachment and paddle don't hold the gun against my side as well as I like.

I just this morning (Sat) ordered two more holsters - DeSantis Sof-Tuck for IWB (it has a single clip) and a Gould 3 slot pancake for OWB. It too can suffice for concealed carry with a long shirt or coat which is how it will be worn sometimes. My struggle is looking for an easy-to-use and tuckable IWB holster. The AG is awesome - just a little difficult to make it look right tucked. But I'm getting better.

Take a look at Zombie and Rubicon for simple designs.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1336 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Endobro, there are more than a few "best holster" threads on FTF that you might consider reading to further your education. However, let me short-form my personal experiences in carry. Keeping a gun secured and/or hidden on your body is a high priority and should be taken seriously. If your gun "prints" badly or, worse yet, falls to the ground, you may lose your permit and/or firearm and possibly your privilege to carry ever again in your jurisdiction. This makes your choice of a carry rig as important as the choice of weapon.

A carry rig is only as good as its foundation. In this case, that's the belt you mount it on. It should be 1-1/2" wide, very thick leather or leather layered with stiff reinforcements. It must hold the holster tightly against your body and not slouch or bend outward. This should run $60-120 on average. Example here. EDIT: there are Nylon Instructor Belts that are stiffened with Kydex and can be used as well. The main requirement is that it is stiff and holds the gun's weight without moving or sagging.

The holster is the next step. The choice between leather and Kydex should be a matter of comfort and how well the holster hides and also presents the weapon for drawing, as well as how comfortably it rides all day. Too many people with a heat gun and some heavy books claim they can make Kydex holsters by wrapping a sheet around the gun and slapping some hardware on, but have no concept of the complexity of cant, retention, weight distribution and ergonomics. Making a Kydex holster is child's play - making a Kydex holster that is comfortable, stays in place, releases crisply and smoothly and you want to bet your life on is a whole different matter. This is not the place to use price as the highest determining factor. Examples here. Also keep in mind that leather holsters and manufacturing methods are advanced from even ten years ago and are not the huge, heavy holsters of yesteryear. Do not overlook them in your evaluation. Example here.

To sum it up, after spending hours and days researching which gun to purchase to trust your life with, it makes no sense to carry it in a one-size-fits-all rig from Wal-Mart. Your carry permit is dependent on the gun remaining hidden, and so may your social standing. I carried for over a decade with no one in my church, at work or out in public ever knowing I was armed with a double-stack .45 because it had the proper rig. To me, it makes no sense to carry a $700 gun in a $30 holster on a $12.98 Wally World belt. That's equivalent to driving a Ferrari on re-tread tires! Both are doomed to failure and will be quite uncomfortable while waiting for the inevitable failure.

Also consider that most complaints of "uncomfortable" carry are improper holster and/or belt fit. You need to carry every day for at least three weeks to have it become a habit, and many stop after two or three days because it's too heavy or doesn't feel right or it digs into their side. The only good gun is the one you have on you, so anything that causes you to remove it and leave it behind in the car or house can kill you. Don't let a poor rig choice cost you your life.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 04-06-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Good advice so far. Some more to think about:

Generally IWB conceal better than OWB, whereas OWB is more comfortable than IWB.

Leather / kydex hybrid holsters such as a Galco King Tuk, or Old Faithful, etc, are in my opinion the best of both worlds. They conceal well and distribute the weight in such a way that they are comfortable, relative to just a single piece of kydex.

You can buy an Old Faithful holster kit that you assemble yourself for about $35-40 on their website.

Just my two pennies thrown into the pot.

Always have clean socks.

TekGreg Likes This 
Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1885 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 5663

Material wise. I have tried several materials. Kydex, Ballistic Nylon, Leather.
Kydex is just kinda cheesy, but seems to work and have a following. I have one for the Glock. Glock and Kydex stay at home. cheesy...
I will use a ballistic nylon for a smith 36 and snake shot. A bit of padding seems to make the 36 happy and I'm not quick drawing a snake.

Leather..... ah..... Leather... I have Galco, Bianchi and Holland.. (and more of course), but love these as far as off the shelf units.

I am a fan of a simple belt holster, so leather works fine.

So.... it really comes down to you. what you want and remember. AND THIS IS IMPORTANT..... you can always buy another holster if you don't like your previous pick.

The sharp guys before me made the points.

My important points
* Distributes and Carries weight.
* Retains Firearm well
* Provides a small package for easy concealment.
* Minimizes bulk so it's easy to work in / with.
* Durable Material that holds up to my abuse.
* Leather, Leather, Leather. .

Don't let my opinions affect your decision, but this works for me.

This is a Holland, no longer made, Stinger is close, but no model for your PX4

http://www.galcogunleather.com/stinger-belt-holster_8_4_1301.html

l1060091-1024x576-.jpg  

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
TekGreg Likes This 
Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1336 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 612

An experience with two neighbors of mine catalyzed my thinking on holsters. One of them loved guns loved shooting and then decided he wanted to CCW. He paid for the class, paid for the background check, waited for his permit, then, as soon as he got it, he bought a $14.95 Nylon Uncle Mike's holster and slid it on his $12.98 Wal-Mart belt. He wore that for three days, on and off, and then decided that "concealed carry wasn't for him." He hated the way it rode, the fact that it was hard to conceal, and was generally uncomfortable while sitting because it moved all over the place. He completely gave up on carry because of his $27.93 carry rig and a commitment of three full days. A quality rig would have given him a completely different outlook.

The other had a no-name, low-quality nylon holster that he carried a 1911 in. He was in a busy, popular restaurant during lunch when he entered a bathroom stall to do his business. While unfastening his pants, his holster flopped over, dropping his cocked-and-locked Colt onto the tiles with a loud clatter and sending it sliding through the other stalls next to him. One man ran out of the restroom and informed the manager who called the police before he could get his pants up and recover it. Police arrived and spoke to him, ran the gun, and said they'd be filing a report with his issuing CCW agency. It did not help his reputation with the restaurant, his boss who was also at lunch and didn't know he carried, or the client they were entertaining. His penny-wise holster almost cost him his privilege to carry, his job and/or his client, all because he spent no money or thought on his carry rig.

Stories like these abound and have made me think as much about the rig as the gun. You will never hear a professional shooter such as Jerry Mikulek tell you, "Save your money on the carry rig. Make it as cheap as possible as quality doesn't matter here." Don't become one of these unfortunates that didn't think and could possibly pay the ultimate price for it.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2066 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

I have learned from my own experience and experience of MANY others who CCW that there is no 'right' holster for you. You will have to try several and see which one is 'best/right' for you.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #10

As Jim mentions, he is right. After my two on order arrive, I'll have 4. Still only 1 gun I was warned - I better find a box.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...
KG7IL Likes This