Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Holster for Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Sorry, I recommend Blackhawks holsters because the release button naturally puts the trigger finger outside the trigger guard. The button secures the weapon and prevents someone else from removing the gun. The serpa allows for a very quick draw. You can use the paddle or attach to a belt. The holster is very cheap, but well made.
Yes the Blackhawks are very nice holsters and the lock/release system is fantastic. Bought my brother in law one for his birthday.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #52
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6754 Times on 4081 Posts
Likes Given: 8069

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
This is a thread where the OP asked for an advice on a holster. He's not asking what anyone's opinion is on open carry. Let's keep this thread on target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Uh Winds- The title is "Open Carry"
I changed the title of this thread so it is clear that the OP is asking about a holster for open carry. Sheesh...........

Why should anyone care if he open carries or conceal carries? It's his personal choice......and that's okay.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #53

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
I changed the title of this thread so it is clear that the OP is asking about a holster for open carry. Sheesh...........

Why should anyone care if he open carries or conceal carries? It's his personal choice......and that's okay.
Gud job
Title alone was why i commented

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #54

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Sorry, I recommend Blackhawks holsters because the release button naturally puts the trigger finger outside the trigger guard. The button secures the weapon and prevents someone else from removing the gun. The serpa allows for a very quick draw. You can use the paddle or attach to a belt. The holster is very cheap, but well made.
I second that, i carry my 1911 in a blackhawk serpa 2 paddle. I love it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #55
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1682 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 1997

Quote:

Thanks, Winds. Wasn't thinking when I started the thread.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #56

The Blackhawk Serpa holsters are pretty available. I like that the retention mechanism works really well for retention. I've also read some online discussion and seen some YouTube videos showing a downside to that design.

If you pull up on the gun an instant before hitting the release, you can't push the release button. That in itself sounds like a really good thing in terms of retention. But when it's YOU trying to get the gun out, bad things can happen. In haste and frustration the natural response is to push harder on the button. To do so, the hand naturally curls the finger to apply more pressure. If this process is successful, you will draw the gun with your finger pointed in towards the trigger guard and applying pressure in that direction. That should sound like a recipe for a "whoopsie", and it is.

It's easy to say the person just didn't know what they were doing. But at least one of the YouTube videos shows an experienced professional pistol shooter making exactly this mistake and wounding himself in the process. I agree, the holster did not make the mistake, the shooter did. But, IMO, the ergonomics of the Serpa increase the chances of a shooter making this mistake. I make enough mistakes on my own. I don't need help of that type from the equipment.

If the Serpa is working for you, great! Practice with it a lot to minimize your chances of AD/ND.

I'm still looking for other options. So far in this thread, I've seen Safariland ALS, Mako, Galco and a couple others. Thanks for the suggestions. Any other suggestions are also welcome!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #57

Liked 265 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I've gone over the complete thread, so if I missed this advice, I apologize. Get yourself a good vehicle vault. Sometime, somewhere some business is going to see your gun and ask you to remove it or yourself. I usually just go somewhere else, but there are times you need what they have. And if I have to put it back in the vehicle I want it as secure as possible. Just my opinion.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #58

Good point, Missouri. I have a Gun Vault in the car since my workplace does not allow guns in the building. But pretty much everyplace else I go, I carry.

Balota

Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #59

Liked 265 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 50

My brother in law broke a primary rule when he was bragging about his CCW permit at work, after 2 years of carrying there. Word got back to the boss and now it's locked in his truck, instead of tucked in his pants, where NOBODY would have known if he kept his big mouth shut.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #60

Yeah, my employer has a zero tolerance policy on that kind of thing. Not worth ending a 30+ year career over. And as an open carrier, I think someone might notice before 2 years!

Balota