Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Holster for Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
I'm not a fan of open carry. As other posters have stated, I would much rather have the element of surprise, vs in an open carry scenario where someone is about to say, rob the store I;m in and see's me carrying openly and decides to drop me first, as I would be a threat to his success in robbery.

Also, oddly enough, in GA you can only open carry if you have a CWL.
I think PA is that way too

Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

All you have to do is reverse the roles. If you were the 'bandit' how would you deal with a 'threat' to your goal. The answer is the same as the 'good guy' would, you eliminate the highest threat first!! I had to OC as a uniformed LEO for MANY years, BUT I had backup and good communications readily available.
It is just common sense as I see it!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5123 Times on 2668 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Im all for open carry. While the goblin is focused on the oc guy it gives me ample oppurtunity to utilize the element of surprise.

Just ask john wesley hardin how effective surprise is in a gun fight... oh wait he got suprised and shot while he wasnt looking.

Im all for you being a distraction that gives me a chance to place one well aimed shot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

GonzoLonzo Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post

Do as you please, but when or if the bad guy decides to act you will get a bullet in the back of the head first, then I will take him out, if that makes you feel any batter!!!
Jim with all due respect, and I'm NOT trying to start an argument, but please do show me proof of where this had happened before within the last 100 yrs or so. I can show proof of hundreds and hundreds of times where the site of someone carrying (both OC'ing & CC'ing where they flashed their weapon) has dissuaded a violent episode from even starting. I'm not trying to say bad things don't happen when people OC, but I would really like to see if what you stated has really happened before. Like Mas Ayoob had said many, many times not only on this fallacy but on the "Shoot Me First Vest" fallacy, that he's worn for over 25 yrs and where he's heard that those who wear them get shot 1st. He stated that he's never ever heard of this happening, not even once! Another internet fable. There are a lot of valid reasons not to OC, but I don't believe being shot first is one of them. Thanks,
and Keep Your Powder Dry

Dennis
"Those who Talk, Don't do.
Those who Do, Don't Talk!"

Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #35

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

There are pros and cons to both carry methods. But at least you are carrying. Never leave home without it.
My handgun is like my kitchen fire extinguisher, always loaded and within reach in case I need it just hoping that I never have to use it.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #36

Liked 255 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I carry a Ruger SR9 in a Blackhawk CQC holster and I love it. The gun locks in to the holster and the lever that releases it is pressed with your trigger finger. So when you draw you have a good grip on the gun, and your finger is already standing ready beside the trigger. I personally like concealed carry but on some rare occasions it will be open. If I go in to a restaurant I'm not going to eat with my jacket on, I'll take it off and put it on my chair so I'm still partially covered when seated. An argument can be made for both sides and the way I see it, and also with many other areas pertaining to guns, do what makes you comfortable and what you are familiar with. The moment you start carrying a way you're not comfortable with, or choosing a gun you're not comfortable with, just because someone else say's so is when your most likely to make a mistake. If it doesn't fit you do something different, don't just go with the crowd.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan16 View Post
I think PA is that way too
I think I read a story about a guy in PA that had some old misdemeanor charge of possession from his youth that couldn't get a CWL because of the record from it. But he was allowed to open carry.....his main beef was that almost everyday someone called LE on him and he had to go through the same old song and dance of proving he was legally able to own the weapon while they ran the numbers. I could be wrong as to the state though.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #38
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1651 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Quote:
Do as you please, but when or if the bad guy decides to act you will get a bullet in the back of the head first, then I will take him out, if that makes you feel any batter!!!
Quote:
All you have to do is reverse the roles. If you were the 'bandit' how would you deal with a 'threat' to your goal. The answer is the same as the 'good guy' would, you eliminate the highest threat first!! I had to OC as a uniformed LEO for MANY years, BUT I had backup and good communications readily available.
It is just common sense as I see it!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Im all for open carry. While the goblin is focused on the oc guy it gives me ample oppurtunity to utilize the element of surprise.

Just ask john wesley hardin how effective surprise is in a gun fight... oh wait he got suprised and shot while he wasnt looking.

Im all for you being a distraction that gives me a chance to place one well aimed shot.
Glad to be of service to y'all!

As far as reversing the roles, if I saw a situation developing where I could see there were opponents who wanted to take me out, I'd be avoiding the situation, not shooting first. I think the vast majority of bad guys will be doing the same. Just my opinion, but I'm willing to live/die with the consequences.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeHarley View Post
Jim with all due respect, and I'm NOT trying to start an argument, but please do show me proof of where this had happened before within the last 100 yrs or so. I can show proof of hundreds and hundreds of times where the site of someone carrying (both OC'ing & CC'ing where they flashed their weapon) has dissuaded a violent episode from even starting. I'm not trying to say bad things don't happen when people OC, but I would really like to see if what you stated has really happened before. Like Mas Ayoob had said many, many times not only on this fallacy but on the "Shoot Me First Vest" fallacy, that he's worn for over 25 yrs and where he's heard that those who wear them get shot 1st. He stated that he's never ever heard of this happening, not even once! Another internet fable. There are a lot of valid reasons not to OC, but I don't believe being shot first is one of them. Thanks,
and Keep Your Powder Dry

Dennis
"Those who Talk, Don't do.
Those who Do, Don't Talk!"
I have spent just short of 40 years in LE (on the street not at a desk) and over 13 years in the Military (two years in combat) and this is just common sense. I have studied human nature FIRST HAND and believe me to walk around in an environment where you are probably the only one visibly armed among many others 'strangers' but not a LEO or Security Officer in uniform is just asking for trouble an MANY fronts. I support the right 100%, but I am a realist!!! I guess I am not surprised to hear some say they have to have proof from the 'academic' sector to validate common sense!!! Here in lies the problem!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #40
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6680 Times on 4039 Posts
Likes Given: 7944

Quote:
I have spent just short of 40 years in LE (on the street not at a desk) and over 13 years in the Military (two years in combat) and this is just common sense. I have studied human nature FIRST HAND and believe me to walk around in an environment where you are probably the only one visibly armed among many others 'strangers' but not a LEO or Security Officer in uniform is just asking for trouble an MANY fronts. I support the right 100%, but I am a realist!!! I guess I am not surprised to hear some say they have to have proof from the 'academic' sector to validate common sense!!! Here in lies the problem!!!
This is a thread where the OP asked for an advice on a holster. He's not asking what anyone's opinion is on open carry. Let's keep this thread on target.