Holster for Open Carry - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Holster for Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
OMG. Get prepared for the open carry bashers.

Hey now! It's not bashing. Open carry is very region and situation specific. It's not always a good idea. Just depends on where you are and what you're doing. I'll refrain from my usual "I don't want the bad guys knowing what I got" rant for the sake of OK's new found liberty. Well done guys

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
People Like This 
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #12

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

I'm a private investigator specializing in executive protection and personal security. There are times when my job requires me to carry concealed but I do prefer open carry because its much faster and cleaner on the draw and clearing of the weapon.
Depending on the on detail will dictate my method of carry and weapon (or weapons) I am carrying. Sometimes shoulder holster, sometimes SOB and the norm is to carry on strong side hip and inside, weak side ankle for a BUG.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1872 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 893

I support the 'right' to OC 100%, and I do so when on horse back, hunting, hiking, and around the farm. BUT I am smart enough and spent enough time 'on the street' to know the most important aspect of survival in a lethal force situation is SURPRISE, if you wish to let the bandit know you are armed, and how you are armed more power to you! But me, I will do the smart thing and not let him know until I AM READY to!!!
In an urban environment it is a BIG tactical mistake to give the bad guys that much info unless you have no choice! ie: uniformed LEO or security officer.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 02-18-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #14
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1808 Times on 1101 Posts
Likes Given: 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Not an OC'er myself bt if I was, my first 3 priorities would be...

1-Retention...

2-Retention...

3-Retention...

I would try to find a holster that allows you, and ONLY you to access your firearm...

Something along these lines...maybe an experienced OC'er can chime in with more info...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Level-3-SERPA-Auto-Lock-Duty-Holster,1175,1412.htm

Good luck and stay safe...
Retention is one of the main things I need and don't have. The only retention I have is a pretty tight setting on the holster screw and an attempt to maintain situational awareness. I've looked at the SERPA holsters and may try one. Looks like it gets an A in retention. I'm just worried I'll get an F (for fatality) in deployment when needed. But that's just practice. At least I have IDPA available as a practice opportunity.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

vincent Likes This 
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Hey now! It's not bashing. Open carry is very region and situation specific. It's not always a good idea. Just depends on where you are and what you're doing. I'll refrain from my usual "I don't want the bad guys knowing what I got" rant for the sake of OK's new found liberty. Well done guys
When I got my license, open carry had not passed yet. I felt the same way about being the bad guys first target. But talking with some folks at my IDPA club led to another way of looking at it.

The bad guys don't come in looking for someone to shoot. They're usually looking for someone to intimidate and only bring the gun along for that purpose. They come in with the gun concealed and check the place out. If it looks like an easy score, they go into their tough guy act. If it looks like someone might resist effectively, they go find another target (or at least come back later after I leave.)

Yeah, I know, not all bad guys work that way, but most do. And the ones that don't are just as likely to shoot me whether I've got a gun on my hip or not.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I support the 'right' to OC 100%, and I do so when on horse back, hunting, hiking, and around the farm. BUT I am smart enough and spent enough time 'on the street' to know the most important aspect of survival in a lethal force situation is SURPRISE, if you wish to let the bandit know you are armed, and how you are armed more power to you! But me, I will do the smart thing and not let him know until I AM READY to!!!
In an urban environment it is a BIG tactical mistake to give the bad guys that much info unless you have no choice! ie: uniformed LEO or security officer.
I think you're right if you're in an urban environment. Virtually all of my life is spent in suburbia.

Balota

Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #17

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnimgood
For open carry I've always preferred a Fobus paddle holster.
I've got a Fobus paddle for my Glock 21 but after seeing videos on YouTube showing how easy it is for an attacker to tear the holster loose from the paddle mount and end up with your gun, I would never trust it for open carry.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

A lot of people say carry concealed for the surprise aspect, but I'd rather avoid the situation all together. I've heard people saying you'll be the first shot. I've asked over and over for documented proof of this and have never had one response with proof. I realize if you OC your situational awareness needs to be the best without a doubt, but in all the time that I've been open carrying I believe that the sight of my Weapon has detoured at least a couple of incidents. Now I'm a rather large man (6'4" & about 300#) but I'd prefer to avoid an incident all together than some of the want to be Rambo's, who sometime sound like their really looking forward to a confrontation. To the OP I use a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard holster. It holds your weapon high & tight (with a proper gun belt) and the Thumb Break holds it securely for riding my Motorcycle, Fishing and it would be good for at least a few seconds of warning time against someone trying a gun grab. Now their are a lot of times where I'll CC because I believe it wouldn't be correct to OC, but over all I'd rather Open Carry. Keep your Powder Dry All,

Last edited by DLeeHarley; 02-20-2013 at 12:45 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #19

Thanks all for the commentary. I'm leaning towards one of the paddle type holsters since that is easiest to take off. I am not allowed to carry in my workplace, so I have to leave it locked up in the car. Unraveling a belt to get the holster off is a pain I don't need.

The retention commentary is very important. As my signature suggests, I'm a big fan of practicing. So, a bunch of dry fire practice with a Blackhawk Serpa will help me avoid the reported rare problems with that design. I see a lot of LEOs with that style holster and they definitely have to worry about retention.

Edit: Apparently those "rare" problems are not as rare as I thought. The IDPA site has a lengthy thread or two on the subject. After filtering out the my-way-or-the-highway commentary, the most sensible observations were that the ergonomics of that design are more likely to contribute to AD/ND than other similarly priced and available designs. Experienced competition shooters have had ND with this holster and slo-mo makes the sequence of events clear. Guess I'm still looking. Maybe a Safariland ALS, or Galco MX4 Auto Locking Holster or some other kind of thumb break design...

Balota

Last edited by Balota; 02-20-2013 at 01:45 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1872 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
I think you're right if you're in an urban environment. Virtually all of my life is spent in suburbia.
It is either rural or urban (city or country), there is no in between! Suburban is urban!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!