holster for middle back? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > holster for middle back?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

One example would be slipping on wet or icy steps while decending them. Not long ago I was coming down the stairs in my house with socks on and I slipped. (I know, you don't wear socks outside and your front steps don't have carpet!)The stairs had a carpeted runner but the ends on the treads were exposed. I landed on my back on the corner of one of the treads, about three stairs down, just mm's from my spine, and I have a sweet scar to show for it. I'm pretty sure if I had a gun in the small of my back and if I had landed slightly farther to the middle of my spine, there's a good chance I might not have gotten up. I know you may think "what are the chances of that happening?" Well, you use jackstands while working on your Jeep, right? Why? because there's a chance the jack might slip. It only takes one time. That's why people don't stand under a tree during lightening and why they wear seatbelts while driving, AND why we carry a concealed weapon. The chances are slim but why take the chance? Just my .02

Old 01-22-2008, 04:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
One example would be slipping on wet or icy steps while decending them.
Well, you use jackstands while working on
It only takes one time.
OK. all good points.

Thanks.

so, what to You use supergus?

Don't mind me... I'm just the comic-relief talking-bear.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #13

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Fozzy, I read about it happening to a couple of cops a few years ago in a magazine. There was a warning to to carry this way. If I can get more info for you, I'll let ya know.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #14

Default Quotes from some Law Enforcement forums.

Avoid SOB Carry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You can carry many of the IWB holsters in SOB, but I would personally recommend against it. Last winter, I took a spill on ice and fell on a curb, landing on my back. I hit hard! I had a baby Glock tucked behind my left hip in an IWB holster, which was a lot closer to my tail bone than was safe. The holster had sort of scooted closer to my spine over the course of the morning before falling on my sit-me-down. Anyway, while the Glock seemed to take the force of the impact, I ended up with a big lump on my backside from the gun. I am fortunant that I did not break anything. I had injured my back, pinching a nerve in roughly the same location a couple of years before and was really worried that the old injury was going to flair up again.

Nowdays, I carry my backup gun on the hip, in a clip IWB in front, on my ankle, in coat pockets (in a holster, of course)...anywhere but SOB. I had heard the warnings about carrying anything in the SOB in case you got knocked down during a fight, but I never considered it would happen to me while simply trying to walk out to the parking lot. Incidently, the trigger pin of my Glock 27 came out in pieces a few months later, and I suspect that it wasn't from normal wear and tear."

"When I was an LEO, a friend who carried that way fell off a fence pushing the gun into his spinal column and caused serious nerve damage forcing him to retire quite a few years early."

"Get in a scuffle and try to stop someone from getting your gun and using it on you. Like I said you are halfway into an arm lock. Try to keep someone from bumping your gun in a crowd and being made. Not so easy with SOB. I was in a very crowded environment the other day and was glad I appendix carried. Drop something in a crowded store and try not to print while picking if up while carrying SOB......Plenty of reasons. I was out walking about three weeks ago and slipped on some super slippery ice and went down so fast I hardly had time to react. I landed flat on my back HARD. I'm glad I wasn't carrying SOB. If it's for you, go for it. I think it's nuts and it's the last place I will ever carry a gun."

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #15

Cool. I get it now.

The part I hadn't thought of was an elevated surface you land on. Steps and curbs would be just the kind of thing to do it.

I'm gonna rethink the way I carry.

Does the way you mentioned in post #2 above ever give you problems with seatbelts when you are driving?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #16

I have carried in that position but I'm left handed so keep that in mind. After the belt is buckled, just position the gun so it's not interfering with the belt. Once you do it, I think you'll see it's not a problem.

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #17

I'm still waiting to get my carry weapon, but I'll be using either IWB or OWB (depending on the weather) strong side. I just sold my house so I'm goin' gun huntin'!!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Small Of Back (SOB) holsters is one which I seldom use, outside of that of deceiving those around me that I'm carrying. Rarely do I give any thought to using such a holster these days because of the steel rods I currently have in my own back.

By opening the sides of my jacket, the fact that I'm carrying is not revealed. This would relieve any suspicions on the part of others who might have reason to think otherwise. This particular steel frame pistol might appear to be very uncomfortable, where as, it really isn't, but a smaller, lighter, pistol or revolver might well be a much better choice for this holster.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I forgot to add that the holster is the Galco S.O.B.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
Typo. "Do" not "to"

What type of holster DO you use?