holster for middle back?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > holster for middle back?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default holster for middle back?

Lots of people shove their gun between their belt and back, are there any holsters that clip onto your pants/belt there and keep the gun from falling down your pants?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #2

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Yes there are but this is not a great way to carry. If you are pushed or fall on the gun, you stand a good chance of seriously hurting your back. This has happened. I prefer a good inside waistband or paddle holster carried just behind the hip on the strong side. Mine is a Fobus but there are TONS out there.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #3

Agreed. If you fall backwards on the gun, you could do serious, permanent damage to your spinal column.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #4

I love my Fobus but they are not very secure.....Look at Horseshoe Leather in the UK superb designs run by Andy Arratooian (sorry Andy I haven't spelt it right).......A one man band and holsters hand made for professionals

Old 01-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I love my Fobus but they are not very secure.....Look at Horseshoe Leather in the UK superb designs run by Andy Arratooian (sorry Andy I haven't spelt it right).......A one man band and holsters hand made for professionals
Hmmmmmmm. My Glock snaps into my Fobus securely and I can't see how, outside of a pretty good yank on the gun, it could come out. Both my holsters are like that.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #6

I have one for my CZ75B (which I use a lot) and for a Glock 17, they are great when on training days with the dogs but on the odd jobs when out doing operational work, I wouldn't use one. I have had them a while and they tend to loosen up with regular use... Just an observation as I said I like them. but if you do any energetic stuff you might just lose the gun.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #7

I've had mine about 4 years or so but I don't wear them every day (can't get a CCW here in Liberal NY) so maybe that's why mine are still tight. Thanks for the info.

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #8

I just use a Left-Handed, inside-the-pants holster. When you put a left handed holster in the middle of your back, it is spun around to where it's positioned for your right hand.

I have a small carry, and a big fat butt... and I've never had any problems with pressure on my spine.

Don't mind me... I'm just the comic-relief talking-bear.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy_Bear View Post
I just use a Left-Handed, inside-the-pants holster. When you put a left handed holster in the middle of your back, it is spun around to where it's positioned for your right hand.

I have a small carry, and a big fat butt... and I've never had any problems with pressure on my spine.
And you won't as long as you don't fall or get pushed onto your back. This is more of a problem for police who may carry a back up gun or are working undercover becuase their chance of getting into a scuffle are greater than your regular citizen, but if you get mugged or into a fight and land on your back, damage is likely to occur.

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #10

I guess I'm not getting what you said.

I mean, Sure. I can see that if you take an impact to a piece of metal touching your spine, then that energy is transfered. But I can't seem to imagin a situation (falling, pushing or the like) where an impact that would not OTHERWISE casue dammage would be any worse with a holster between you and the source of dammage.
If the spine were truely flat, then yeah. But if it's in the "small of the back" then you would have to be free-falling in a fetal position and hit exactly on the weapon... I'm not seein' it happen in real life...

You mentioned that you know of this happening... Could you give a few more details?

--- I'm new around THIS site, so you might not know me yet ( I have been on a few Jeep-focused sites for years though)... But just so you know... I'm not trying to pick a fight or just be generally Ornery... I'm seriously trying to understand your point. ---

Don't mind me... I'm just the comic-relief talking-bear.

Last edited by Fozzy_Bear; 01-21-2008 at 04:54 PM.