HK45C for First CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > HK45C for First CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default HK45C for First CCW

With your approval, this will be my first CCW setup. I have no knowledge or experience on the subject, so I would really appreciate feedback. I was thinking of ordering the HK45C with the tan color, plus an 8 round mag for concealment and then a 10 round mag for backup. Do you guys believe that 18 rounds of .45 ACP is enough for CC? I have no idea what holster to purchase, or if that's even necessary. As far as ammunition is concerned, I'm leaning toward +P, but that's another subject I am clueless about! Please provide input for:

Pistol/mag selection-good or bad? I've heard incredible things about the HK45C.
Holster-Thoughts/concerns?
Ammunition-I want the best person stopper out there.

Thanks gentlemen.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

An H&K is a fine gun albeit a tad pricey in my book. The .45 ACP is a great caliber for protection as well. If you intend to carry - then yes you'll need a holster. The type of holster depends on where you live and how you want to carry. Here in GA we can carry open or concealed so that's the first choice to make. Then it really depends on your normal mode of dress as to what will work best. I generally carry a "lazy" concealed with a paddle holster and a shirt pulled over it. Everything about carrying is relative and there are lots of trade offs between size, weight, caliber, and mode of carry. It's a pretty complex subject and most of us "evolve" into what works best for us.

As far as ammo, I wouldn't get to worried as any good .45 defensive round will do the job if you do your part. Heck, 230gr ball has been planting our country's enemies for nearly 100 years. Now questions for you:

How much handgun experience do you have? Have you had any formal training? Do you have your permit to carry? Are you mentally prepared to use a gun in defense of your life?

Last edited by NGIB; 11-08-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #3

barely any experience. training=zero. permit=not acquired yet, but certainly on my to-do list. i figured that as soon as i had the gun setup, I would certainly take classes and start going to the range. but I live in the People's Republic of Kaliforniastan so that might be a little hard.....

Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

This may be a bit of a facepalm moment, but is that gun allowed behind the Pelosi Iron Curtain?!

I think trying to pick a gun without shooting a bunch of them, getting some training and having a more hands on approach is putting the cart before the horse to be honest.

What you like now, and what you like after going through some training and getting some quality instruction could be WORLDS apart....

Just a thought.

JD

Old 11-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

JD speaks the truth which is why I asked the questions. Most of us didn't decide on our carry platforms until we had quite a bit of experience...

Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #6

Here is the deal.

1. Take the emotion out of everything to start.

2. You want something fairly easy to use and carry. ( If it is to heavy or hard to carry you will not carry it)

3. Start basic. You want something that is ultra reliable and will always work.

My thoughts: A nice 140 grain 9mm hollow or 9 +p round can do the deed.
I would rather have twice the round of ammo in like a glock 17, 19, 26.

The .45 is the man stopper, but carting that bitch around for month or years and hopefully never having to use it a pain.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryACR View Post
barely any experience. training=zero. permit=not acquired yet, but certainly on my to-do list. i figured that as soon as i had the gun setup, I would certainly take classes and start going to the range. but I live in the People's Republic of Kaliforniastan so that might be a little hard.....
How do you hope to obtain a permit in that state??? You must either be rich or famous. Unless you decide to open carry with an unload weapon where it is allowed.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945