Hey, CCW Instructors !
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Hey, CCW Instructors !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default Hey, CCW Instructors !

Hey you. Yeah, you. Come over here.

I plan on becoming a CCW instructor in NC as soon as possible after getting there.

Give me advice. Or pointers. What to do, what to avoid. Anything that comes to mind.

Ready, go.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

Always have clean socks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well. It seems this thread is a bust.

Always have clean socks.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 799 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 1799

Not having ever been an instructor, I have nothing to offer. From a student's standpoint, don't be a dumbass and sweep the class while demonstrating various features of a handgun, like my instructor did.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

All I can offer is the first rule of self defense:

Have a gun, any gun.

Second rule:

There is no such place as a safe zone from violent crime.

Third rule:

100% of the time never violate rule number 1. Rule number 2 is always in effect.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-24-2014 at 03:24 AM.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #5
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Hey, CCW Instructors !

Try posting in the NC State sub-forum. Might get a few bites there.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Well. It seems this thread is a bust.
I think it was your opening statement.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks to everyone for the responses. This thread may as well be closed. I'll try again later with more specific questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
I think it was your opening statement.
Yeah probably. I was trying to add a bit of humor.

Always have clean socks.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

What is required in that state to be an instructor? I was an instructor in CO for many years. All I needed was the blessing of the County Sherriff. He would except only my letter of training and one from one other instructor to issue the permit. CO went to a shall issue state about the time I left for AK so I am not sure what the 'state' requires now. AK required you submit a lesson plan for their approval before they would recognize you as a 'certified' instructor. I was going to do this in AK but left for AL before I got it done. I still teach Armed Self-defense Classes here, but no training is required (as it should be) to get a permit in AL so I am not required to get any certification in AL.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-09-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3061 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Practice your delivery to some friends.
A smooth delivery indicates that you are well versed in the subject matter, that you are avid about the subject, and you are knowledgeable.

Hesitate, say "er, um, or let me look it up", and not being prepared leaves a bad impression.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Griffworks Likes This 
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 AM   #10

Likes Given: 27

I've been a CHL Instructor here in Arkansas for more than two years now, I've averaged one class a month for initial CHL and about 30 Renewals, with a total of just over 100 clients - initial and renewal. I've gotten lots of compliments and almost half of my clients have been referrals.

One thing I did was to think about classes I've taken and the type of instructors which engaged my mindset during the class/training I received. I Served in the USAF for 20 years and encountered a variety of instructors, as well as teachers in college classes and from way back in public school. I also did some training while in the USAF and in preparation for that, I thought about the best and worst I've been on the receiving end from. The worst were those who obviously had no real in-depth knowledge of the subject, next worst were those who were monotone and/or "dry" in their delivery.

Another level of bad, IMNSHO, were the overly arrogant who felt they literally had to talk down to their students, "dumbing down" the information. Talking down to your students is a sure fire way to lose them. It's insulting and you never want to insult even one student, because you're liable to derail the entire class.

The instructors that I decided to emulate were those who:
* highly conversant in the subject;
* threw in the occasional joke or pun;
* made eye contact with the students;
* spoke clearly and distinctly;
* used visual aids, to include video clips to reinforce a concept;
* weren't afraid to admit they didn't know everything; and
* were always patient with the students, even the "commodians" (those who thought they were funny), the know-it-all's or the naturally "slow" whom have to have everything explained to them in great detail.

Positive advice I can give:
* KNOW the material thoroughly. You're likely going to be certified by the state and yourself liable if it can be proven you taught bad information.
* teach, don't preach.
* don't be an arrogant ass.
* don't be dismissive of "stupid" questions, questions not immediately related to the course material or gun choices (this said in light if your attitude towards Glock's). You don't want to alienate your students.
* use humor, but do so sparingly.
* take breaks, either scheduled every hour for 5 to 10 minutes or take a quick poll to see if anyone needs a break.
* don't speak too fast and speak clearly and loud enough to be heard across a room full of people.
* suggest folks who are unsure of what sort if handgun they want to carry, to try a range that rents a variety of handguns. Don't try and "sell" them on a specific pistol. I cringe when people tell me that someone suggested a woman buy a revolver "because that's all a woman can handle", or preach that XXXX-type/brand is better than all others. I carry a Glock, yet recommend to my students that they ask friends whom they know own different handguns if they can go shooting, as well as bring several of my own pistols for students to try after they qualify. I'm not 100% sold on only one type/brand of firearm, tho am kind of partial to .40 S&W. I don't tell everyone it's truly the Magic a Death Ray (MDR) caliber, tho will joke about it. I explain my own reasons for that being my preference, and am sure to explain that each caliber has pro's and con's and for the student to go out and find one they feel is best for their needs, just like with finding which sort of handgun fits their hands and needs best.
* get to know the folks at the state or county offices you'll have to deal with as best you can. It doesn't hurt to know their names when you have questions. Don't be adversarial with them, either, if you can at all avoid it.

Above all, be relaxed, patient and polite. Be firm and respectful. You'll have annoying students and those who might make you uncomfortable.

Those are all things that I do. Friends who've taken my class, two other instructors that I asked to audit me and my wife - teacher of 19 years - all have been brutally honest with me, which has helped me tweak my instruction, as well. If you've got folks like that in your life, ask them to allow you to run a mock class on how you intend to instruct.

That's all I've got. Hope that it helps.

"Zombies. Man, they freak me out."