Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Help with staying concealed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post

Thats pretty big for pocket carry.
Depends on the pockets. My one pair of Ralph Lauren Polo signature jeans, yes it is, my several pair of Levi 505s, nope, fits easy, draws smooth, and because of the straight leg fit and high quality stitching there's more than enough support for it.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #12

Liked 631 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bigrock44 is right, a quality IWB makes a world of difference! I carry a G19 IWB strong side at about 4:00. I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special II holster. It's reinforced at the top so it won't close when you draw, rough leather on the outside so it doesn't shift, and has two one way snaps to secure it to your belt. I can get away with shorts and a tee using this rig. Downsides- they are really expensive($150 range) and hard to get. Milt only has 5 employees and doesn't produce much product. What he does produce is top notch. I've also heard good things about Galco and Crossbreed.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #13

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

My IWB leather holster is very comfortable and holds the weapon great. I'm carrying a full size Beretta .40 S&W.

I'm also tall, 6 1/2 feet tall, tippin in at about 225lbs. This year I asked for shirts from the big/tall store, because after about a year of normal wear and trips through the washing machine, XL t-shirts begin to look like belly shirts on me, if I raise my arms to shoulder level or above, suddenly my belly button is showing!

I can conceal ok as long as I keep my arms down, but my mobility is severely limited or I risk showing.

with the shirts I got for Christmas, they hang down a solid 8" below my belt line on my pants. PERFECT! they fit my shoulders without looking like I'm wearing a Mu-mu, and they have the length to not show my belly all the time. My holster allows me to tuck, and I was wearing tucked in yesterday, the shirt was long enough that I could "blouse" the shirt out some, and it was still tucked in. by pulling some of the shirt out, it allowed it to hang down over my belt line a little, and completely hid the clips that were holding my holster to my belt. 100% concealability!

Try looking into longer shirts and a real holster

Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #14

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I buy my shirts at the big and tall store. I am a little over 6' 2" and 220 lbs. I carry mostly outside the waiseband. But inside once in a while inside. Dont buy shirts at Walmart. They are shorter. I bought a camo t shirt from cabelas for hunting. I saw one later that day at walmart. Same brand, same size. Half the price. I almost bought it at walmart to return the one from cabelas. But then I held it up to myself and saw that it was shorter...a lot shorter. Again, same size and same brand.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #15

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Whenever I'm doing an action that might cause my shirt to ride up I make a conscious effort to avoid that action or just make sure I pull my shirt down. When getting out of the driver side of a vehicle keep ur side out of sight while u tug ur shirt back down. Passenger aide, turn and face the rear of the vehicle, repeat process. Looks natural. If u want to sell the acting job scratch ur balls too and hitch ur pants up.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1728 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 545

I am not as big as some of you but I have found a 4 o'clock carry with the butt forward does not print nearly as bad especially when you bend over. Also easier to draw in a car. Takes some training for the draw so you dont cross your body but works better than the normal draw once you get used to it. I use a left hand IWB with no cant on my right side. Buy a cheap Uncle Mike's holster to try it then get a good one if you like it. Practice the draw unloaded until you can do it automatically without crossing your body. In any draw keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #17

Liked 1106 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 276

An earlier poster is sold on the belly band. I liked the idea and I tried one, and it just plain doesn't work for a large frame automatic for me. One issue I have is the difficulty of reholstering. The good thing about the belly band is that they are inexpensive enough to try it without breaking the bank.

I have carried the full size 1911 in a Winthrop IWB, for the last five years, it is a fine holster at a reasonable price. One key item in carrying IWB is that you need a GOOD belt. "Good" being stiff, and as wide as your clothing willl allow. You can not find a good belt at a department store or a Walmart. I was able to find what I needed at at police supply store at a reasonable price.

You can get well outfitted for IWB for as little as $120.00, including a belt, if you shop hard. Good rigs last a long time, and the comfort and safety is worth the money.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #18

Liked 631 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Good point about the belt Chain. Country western/boot stores are a good place to find good belts too.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I have a few great holsters I use, it's more the clothing hanging up on the grip of my gun. Anyone tuck in a under shirt to help hide it?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1675 Times on 1021 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I buy my shirts at the big and tall store. I am a little over 6' 2" and 220 lbs. I carry mostly outside the waiseband. But inside once in a while inside. Dont buy shirts at Walmart. They are shorter. I bought a camo t shirt from cabelas for hunting. I saw one later that day at walmart. Same brand, same size. Half the price. I almost bought it at walmart to return the one from cabelas. But then I held it up to myself and saw that it was shorter...a lot shorter. Again, same size and same brand.
The label on the Walmart shirt said it was the same brand and size. But remember where they get almost everything from (hint: China). The factory that makes all those labels is also in China. They can put any label they want to on any product they want to, Walmart could care less.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/