HELP PLEASE Two guns i found CHEAP - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > HELP PLEASE Two guns i found CHEAP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well Prime at least when you came off you weren't swearing and assuming things. I found a P95 listed for $250, this guy was asking $200 for the 22 is that Ruger considered a cheap gun? Your reply was quite helpful and extremely informative although you say I want someone to agree, not true I'm actually looking for opinions about two guns and they both seem to be crap so I keep saving and keep looking its that simple.
Beyond thanks but its small frame.
Dearhunter thanks for the name calling.
Is the clip like the Mic for a Glock?

Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #12

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie357 View Post
I wouldn't do it then, especially not for 200.

Ruger p95 is known to be a great quality gun. I'm guessing it won't stay around 250 unless there's something wrong with it.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #13

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Well Prime at least when you came off you weren't swearing and assuming things. I found a P95 listed for $250, this guy was asking $200 for the 22 is that Ruger considered a cheap gun? Your reply was quite helpful and extremely informative although you say I want someone to agree, not true I'm actually looking for opinions about two guns and they both seem to be crap so I keep saving and keep looking its that simple.
Is the clip like the Mic for a Glock?
See, here's the problem.

Nobody is calling you any names. Nobody is swearing or assuming. We're giving you our opinions based on the information you gave us.

You're new to CC. You don't own any CC guns. You were presented with 2 guns, one good, one bad, don't know which to buy.

If you had said for general collection/shooting at the range, I'd say absolutely go after the 1911 22lr

but you said to carry on you.

So we say "Dont get either one"

There's no need to be so snarky man.
People Like This 
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #14

Liked 4806 Times on 2327 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

So to sum all of this up, the op has learned that there is a big difference between a "cheap gun" and an "inexpensive" gun with examples being the Jiminez "cheap", and the Ruger "inexpensive" but a quality firearm.

Op... I think what you may be mistaking for "un requested" advice is simply members with a lot of experience cautioning you from making the same mistake we've all made...IE...buying the gun we CAN afford right now because, well, we can buy it RIGHT NOW!

At the risk of sounding like a gun snob, which I'm not, I can say the of my substantial collection, the pistol that gives me the most pleasure and joy of ownership is my Kimber Eclipse Pro II.

Its not because it's an "expensive" gun. Got it new 10 hears ago for $840.00
It IS because it's the gun I Wanted, took the time to research, saved my money to buy, and all that patience delivered what "to me"'is the finest defensive/CCW pistol available.

Now, my "finest"'is certainly subjective and will be different for everyone but the point is valid. Identify what YOU want, research it and save for it. As long as you've targeted a new gun from a reputable manufacturer, you WILL wind up being happy with your purchases .

Good Luck and be Safe

Tack

Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #15

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Hey everyone, I found two guns and I'm tempted to pick one or both up but I'm looking for all of your experienced opinions please.
The first is a Jimenez single action 380 used
And the other is a 1911 22 cal single action Chiappa
also used. I personally have never heard of either of them.
I have read a ton on here that you get what you pay for and that kinda scares me bein a newbie and all. I get my cpl on Friday, I originally want the SR9c Unfortunately not in my budget at the moment. I want something I can at least carry so so I can get the feel of it being there and also so I can go practice at the range. I also do not want to spend my money on something that will put a huge dent in my Ruger money. Just want to be able to carry ASAP so I can get used to it and I have read it takes some gettin used to. Thanks everyone
Say NO to both IMO-
Yes- I've had both!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 895 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Is the clip like the Mic for a Glock?[/QUOTE]

No name calling just a simple one letter typo, it has been corrected

The clip kit for the Kel Tec is an actual clip that attach's to the gun. see photo

dscn0631_resized.jpg

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hossfly thanks I agree after all the reading, Dearhunter my apologies and that looks interesting. I actually found 2 available last night, just getting paid once a month makes buying myself presents rough so i hope it'll be there next week even if just for the range so I can stop spending my $$ on rentals

Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

When you get some advice on here, it's probably from experience. I can tell you that back when I turned 21 I wasn't much of the internet type and surely wasn't on any forums. I was hellbent on buying a handgun and off I went uneducated and unprepared. I bought a Lorcin .25 pocket gun and a Lorcin 9mm for home and range. Two of the biggest turds on the planet. I should have known based on price alone that they were all but worthless. (I think the .25 was like $50) And then to add another self inflicted wound I bought my wife a Lorcin .25 with pink plastic grips. (at this point in my life, I would shoot my stupid ass self should I run into me with a time machine for my ignorance) The 9mm blew goats. Lots of misfires, FTE, FTF you name it this gun had that problem. The .25 I carried got dirty from riding in my pocket (lint is so unfriendly to semi-auto actions) and I got ahold of the manual and decided to strip clean and reassemble it. (Again, 21 no experience with guns) I disassembled it and it never worked again. It wasn't that it wasn't put back together correctly, I had a gunsmith look at it. (he had mercy and checked it out for free since I was broke) It was simply the poor metal quality had over time degraded to a point that the tolerances were worn so badly it wouldn't function. It thus became a $50 paper weight. About 6 months after purchase the 9mm starting misfiring every other trigger pull. It would literally only fire every other shot. I sold it to some chump whom I told it had issues for $50. (loss of $150) At this point, I didn't want my wife using that junk so I sold hers for like $30. I decided to buy new. I bought a Jennings 9mm. Come to find out, Lorcin had gone out of business and Jennings had started making the exact same guns. (again, I had no gun knowledge and was completely unprepared) Straight out of the box that SOB would only fire every other round. I got so pissed off I sold it for $100 (a $100 loss for a gun that was only a couple weeks old) At that point, I was fed up with crappy guns. I went and bought myself a Glock model 30 subcompact .45 I then went and bought my wife a Beretta Bobcat .22 I still have both of those all these years later.

So after reading all that, if you are still reading this, the moral of the story is that I pissed away enough money on junk that I could have bought the Glock to begin with and still had some coin in my pocket for all the crap I bought as an uneducated gun buyer. Bryco Arms made the names Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco and is now Jimenez and I believe Cobra as well (though I'm not sure about Cobra) Lorcin went out of business in 1996 or so due to overwhelming lawsuits against them. Such poor quality weapons as they were, they had multiple instances of unintended firing, sometimes from simply trying to unload them. Others simply broke apart. You can see what happens to cheap metal produced guns here; http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41897

Here's the best part though. I'm cutting and pasting this:
"Due to California law requiring California-manufactured guns to pass safety tests, Jimenez Arms submitted passing test results on the new guns to the state, but the guns failed subsequent additional independent tests. The law requires that upon failure, the manufacturer must correct the problem and resubmit for additional testing. Rather than complete the process, Jimenez Arms ceased California operations and established itself in Nevada, which has no safety testing requirements for firearms."

These guns, through all of their incarnations, have been called "Saturday Night Specials" because they are cheap throw aways for criminals.

As for the Chiappa, I've never used one of their handguns but I do have the M4-22 dedicated .22 AR15 upper that I use to go to the range on the cheap. One of my wifes coworkers just bought one this week for a range gun. I think it's a little large for a carry weapon, especially in .22 You could get a fullsize 1911 in .45 in the same size. Bottom line, save your money and buy something that works for your intended uses that is of good enough quality that your life can depend on it.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Last edited by GeneralPatton; 02-02-2013 at 06:07 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

GeneralPatton, very well said and very good advice for those new to guns.

another thing i will add is this, do your research before buying, not after. it happens quite a bit here on the forum.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8232

Tools are a case of you get what you pay for, and a firearm is nothing more than a tool. Would a mechanic rebuild an engine with tools he got in a True Value $5 bin, or would he use the best tools that are in his price range?

I can vouch for the low quality of the Jiminez, Jennings, and Bryco semi-autos. I own a J-22 that is only kept around for one reason. It belonged to my mother.My father bought it in 1986 while he was stationed in NC, so mom would have a "bump in the night" gun while he was out of country. In the end, after a lot of minor problems with the operation of the pistol, he and I decided that she would be better off using the GP100 instead. The only positive thing I can say about that little POS is that it is one hell of a good paperweight.

The Chiappa 1911 is something I would buy, but only as a range toy. I would not be saving much by shooting it instead of my AMT Hardballer due to the fact that I reload, but it sounds like a nice little range toy. I just can't bring myself to think of a .22 LR as a defensive round. If it is all you can afford, it is better than no gun, but not by much.

Save your money, and buy something better for an EDC. I only purchased one of my handguns myself. One was bought by my wife and put on both permits as a Christmas and anniversary gift, and the other 4 were handed down to me by my dad. I am all for buying used, and buying middle if the price range guns. Personally, I will never, and have never, bought any cheap guns. I know that the price on the pair in your OP is at a temptingly low price, but if you buy them you will be in for a lot of headaches. You will also be under armed if you ever need to protect yourself. Just my $.02, YMMV.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?