Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Help me spend $600-800: Which gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/help-me-spend-600-800-gun-60983/)

CHLChris 03-24-2012 04:57 PM

Help me spend $600-800: Which gun?

I have on my list four firearms that I feel I really need. All 4 are back-up versions of another firearm I already own. Which of the four do you think would be the most important to buy with the money I've got in my pocket right now! All four of these firearms will be mine within 18 months, but I need to know what to do with my money NOW. I have way too much ammo to be limited by only one firearm in each caliber/gauge. HELP!!!!

Shotgun: Mossberg 590a1 ($600 with some extras to go with it). I already own a 590a1 so this would be a back-up for a different gun safe.

9mm Carry Pistol: A single-stack subcompact pistol (Ruger LC9, Kahr CW9, etc. $600 after holsters and such). I own a XDM 4.5" 9mm so this would be a second 9mm, but my only 9mm for carry purposes. I already have three other great carry handguns in my rotation.

.45acp Full-size Pistol: Springfield Armory XD45 Tactical 5" ($650 after some extras). I regularly carry a Kahr PM45, but that is my only .45 and really want a double-stack full-size pistol. I'm over the 1911 platform unless I could find a low-priced Para P-14.

Bare-bones AR-15: 5.56mm 16" Lightweight (Palmetto State or Del-Ton parts that I'd build/assemble myself $750). I already have a very effective AR-15 20" barrel with all of the features I need. But with a few thousand rounds on hand, I think I should have a second AR.

TinCan 03-24-2012 10:41 PM

Well, I'd pick up an old fashioned 1911 from RIA, can't beat the price and with the savings you could even pick up another used Mossberg from a pawn shop or even get a RIA 9mm. That would give you an extra $800.00 later on to get a 7.62/.308 upper to go with your 2 ARs or some nice optics. I know you profess to be over the 1911 platform but if you're prepping for SHTF it's hard to beat.

CHLChris 03-25-2012 02:08 AM

I want to keep it to an XD45 so the same holster can be used for my XDM9 4.5" and the XD45 5". Plus I'm usually into buying one nicer firearm than two cheaper ones. I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a RIA when I've owned Kimbers, Colts, and Springers.

TinCan 03-25-2012 12:25 PM

Well then, I'd see how many long guns I have vs pistolas and once you narrowed that down then it's just a matter of flipping a coin as you have 2 of each types on your list. Lesson your stress and keep it "KISS." :)

HOSSFLY 03-25-2012 01:06 PM

I don't do polls but one can NOT have too many 9mm or 45acp's :cool:

ahole 03-25-2012 02:07 PM

A good used sig p22* alwas a wise by.

kryptar19 03-25-2012 05:19 PM

If you care to throw a bit more $ on there you can get a Satg Arms modle 3. Its a bare bones flat top with a 16" 1/9 twist barrel. Read some reviews on here and see what you think.

Mini 14 or mini 30 is also in your budget. Very tough reliable guns, and accurate too.

Ultimate_sig 03-25-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris
I have on my list four firearms that I feel I really need. All 4 are back-up versions of another firearm I already own. Which of the four do you think would be the most important to buy with the money I've got in my pocket right now! All four of these firearms will be mine within 18 months, but I need to know what to do with my money NOW. I have way too much ammo to be limited by only one firearm in each caliber/gauge. HELP!!!!

Shotgun: Mossberg 590a1 ($600 with some extras to go with it). I already own a 590a1 so this would be a back-up for a different gun safe.

9mm Carry Pistol: A single-stack subcompact pistol (Ruger LC9, Kahr CW9, etc. $600 after holsters and such). I own a XDM 4.5" 9mm so this would be a second 9mm, but my only 9mm for carry purposes. I already have three other great carry handguns in my rotation.

.45acp Full-size Pistol: Springfield Armory XD45 Tactical 5" ($650 after some extras). I regularly carry a Kahr PM45, but that is my only .45 and really want a double-stack full-size pistol. I'm over the 1911 platform unless I could find a low-priced Para P-14.

Bare-bones AR-15: 5.56mm 16" Lightweight (Palmetto State or Del-Ton parts that I'd build/assemble myself $750). I already have a very effective AR-15 20" barrel with all of the features I need. But with a few thousand rounds on hand, I think I should have a second AR.

Which ever you deside go to gun buyingclub.com and you get whole sale price. I just ordered a colt xse and paid $900 after taxes and shipping for a $1 more I couldve got the gold cup. Check it out and tell em Dennis sent ya.

CHLChris 03-25-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 751297)
Mini 14 or mini 30 is also in your budget. Very tough reliable guns, and accurate too.

This is true, but a) the Mini-30 is a new ammo, which defeats the point of a backup, and b) the Mini-14 doesn't have parts compatibility with my AR like another AR would have. Two AR's can mooch off each other. (what a picture...)

I am definitely considering getting a 1:7 twist rate, however, when I build the next AR. My 1:9 sets an upper size limit to the rounds I can fire. A new 1:7 could better shoot all the 69-grain and 75-grain stuff I bought before I understood twist.

kryptar19 03-25-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris

This is true, but a) the Mini-30 is a new ammo, which defeats the point of a backup, and b) the Mini-14 doesn't have parts compatibility with my AR like another AR would have. Two AR's can mooch off each other. (what a picture...)

I am definitely considering getting a 1:7 twist rate, however, when I build the next AR. My 1:9 sets an upper size limit to the rounds I can fire. A new 1:7 could better shoot all the 69-grain and 75-grain stuff I bought before I understood twist.

That makes me wonder, can a mini14 be modified to use standard AR .223/5.56 mags?