Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Healthy paranoia (mental checklist)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I grew up in El Salvador. It's a dangerous, 3rd world country that just got out of a Civil War in 1991. Kidnappings, road blocks, muggings, shootings....all common. I've been in 4 hold-ups, 1 kidnapping, 2 high speed pursuits (one while being shot at), 6 knife attacks, 2 guns drawn and that's the short list. We had a driver/bodyguard, a guard at the house (two at one point).

I can tell you that knowing the nearest exit has saved my life more than once.
Assessing threat levels, many more than that.
Circling parking lots and taking many routes home at different times? Oh, yeah.

I can literally attribute over 75% of your list as something that's saved my life. As literally and honestly as anyone can ever type anything, those points normally do nothing but make you look and sound like a weirdo...but they do save lives. If more people were to do what you described, the world would be a much safer place.

Also, I'd like to add some of my more common ones.
*Check who's at the door without using the peep hole if possible (many bullets through peep holes)
*At a restaurant, sit with your back to a wall.
*When you sit down, create a diversion strategy to allow you to draw without being shot at
*Randomly drive in a circular route with an eye on your rear-view