Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Have you ever had to draw your weapon? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/have-you-ever-had-draw-your-weapon-25329/)

mudslinger79 03-29-2010 03:00 PM

Have you ever had to draw your weapon?

I was wondering if anyone has ever had to draw there weapon. Be it in your residence, public area, parking lot etc. I purchased my first hand gun a few months ago and have been open carrying in a holster since. I haven't had the chance to take the CCW class. Damn employment! Always getting in the way of fun.

dunerunner 03-29-2010 04:11 PM

Oh, where to start?

Your first handgun, no training and you're open carrying.

You must be a freakin martial arts expert then. I say that because if someone walks up behind you while you're distracted, they'll have your gun or you'll be in the struggle of your life for it.

Get some training, get a concealed carry permit and practice, practice, practice.

mpd8488 03-29-2010 04:23 PM

There is not a single documented case of somebody other than a police officer attempting to disarm a lawful OCer in Virginia.

I'm not disagreeing on the training aspect, but there is no real need for CHP, just make sure you don't come within 1000 feet of a school zone while armed. I've found Williamsburg to be a very friendly toward open carriers and with the new national park rules its even better because you don't have to worry about accidentally finding yourself in one of the numerous national parks in the area.

Superior Pawn in Hampton runs training courses on a regular basis and they're one of the friendliest FFLs I've encountered in Hampton Roads.

sheriffoconee 03-29-2010 04:40 PM

Yes, I have.....

skullcrusher 03-29-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger79 (Post 259784)
I was wondering if anyone has ever had to draw there weapon. Be it in your residence, public area, parking lot etc. I purchased my first hand gun a few months ago and have been open carrying in a holster since. I haven't had the chance to take the CCW class. Damn employment! Always getting in the way of fun.

No offense, but we've been down this path on this forum several times. Usually it gets into some argueing and once in a while some troll posts some bs story that gets picked aprart like an injured deer and a pack of wolves.

I think you'll find that most LEO's here have pulled their service guns several times and most regular citizens hope they never have to.

NGIB 03-29-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 259821)
No offense, but we've been down this path on this forum several times. Usually it gets into some argueing and once in a while some troll posts some bs story that gets picked aprart like an injured deer and a pack of wolves.

I think you'll find that most LEO's here have pulled their service guns several times and most regular citizens hope they never have to.

Amen. Let's not have an open vs concealed carry debate either...

dunerunner 03-29-2010 04:57 PM

Yup! Been there, done with that!

mudslinger79 03-29-2010 05:16 PM

I practice as much as I can really. As far as training goes I'm all for it believe me. Work schedule and being a single father to 2 children hampers things sometimes. I've been reading, reading, reading and reading some more. I try to get to my local range at least once a week. Fortunately my girlfriends father has handled firearms his entire life and has given me a lot of pointers.

mudslinger79 03-29-2010 05:38 PM

I have to agree Superior pawn is a great place. I havent been to the one in Hampton yet but I will say the location in Virginia Beach rocks!

carloglock19 03-29-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger79 (Post 259854)
I have to agree Superior pawn is a great place. I havent been to the one in Hampton yet but I will say the location in Virginia Beach rocks!

You can also try A&P Arms on Lynnhaven they hold CCW classes as well! I like their range set up. I'm still waiting on my CCW permit. The way I look at it if you have to draw your weapon (have drawn weapon before over in the sand) than you must have exhausted all means or you feel your life or family members are in danger. I havent had the chance to open carry here at the beach I have only seen 1 person OC since I've been in the area during last holiday season. I think I would get the police called on me very quickly if I OCd (i'm clean cut military but still), maybe I will try Starbucks!LOL