Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Have you ever had to draw your gun for protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Just goes to show that we don't know exactly what we might do in such a critical situation. Since I really don't undergo situational training, I do often find myself thinking through various scenarios wherever I am. I have one of those brains that can't go a minute without thinking about somethin' so I try to train (if you can call it that) myself to respond to any situation.

We'll see what happens if ever that fellow draws right in front of me.

Do you recall, mesinge2, how your perception of time/sound, etc., changed or didn't change during the actual encounter? Wondering...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Just goes to show that we don't know exactly what we might do in such a critical situation. Since I really don't undergo situational training, I do often find myself thinking through various scenarios wherever I am. I have one of those brains that can't go a minute without thinking about somethin' so I try to train (if you can call it that) myself to respond to any situation.

Do you recall, mesinge2, how your perception of time/sound, etc., changed or didn't change during the actual encounter? Wondering...
In a word, it was a blur. Everything but the gun. That was clear and in stages. Black revolver ... finger on trigger ... weapon comming up ... and then "Oh, (expletive deleted)" and pulled my gun.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 05-24-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #23

Default Scary Stuff!

Hope I never need to!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 AM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

You're doing the same thing LEOs are trained to do at the Street Survival Seminars put on by Calbre Press across the county as well as a class I attended titled, "Mental Preparation for Armed Confrontation". The human body responds to what the brain tells it that certain stimuli are present, i.e. "that guy (or those guys) just pulled a gun, knife, etc. and is threatening ____ with it (pointing it, etc.) okay body do your thing."

If you can go through a FATS (Firearms Training Simulator) class at a local LE agency or civilian training academy I'd strongly recommend it for "Shoot / Don't Shoot" judgement skills. Force-on-Force training with Simunitions, or paintball guns or even Airsoft guns is good too.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
In a word, it was a blur. Everything but the gun. That was clear and in stages. Black revolver ... finger on trigger ... weapon comming up ... and then "Oh, (expletive deleted)" and pulled my gun.
You experienced tunnel vision (focussed on the threat) and had some sensory deprivation (i.e. didn't notice other things happening around you, sights, sounds, etc) as part of body's natural "fight or flee" or "fight or flight" response.

In my cases I have no recollection of even drawing my pistol until I found myself looking over the slide at the threat. I gave some verbal commands to all of them that occurred while I was on duty, but not the 2 times I was off duty.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #26

Default Its helpful

I just took my ccw class and everyone had to do a scenario. Although everyone made mistakes, we were suppose to; its part of learning. A real life situation is just that but, that was the next best thing

Old 05-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #27

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Where did Spider, the OP, go?

His avatar (kinda creepy...) disappeared, and he hasn't added to his own thread for quite awhile.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face