Have you ever had to draw your gun for protection? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Have you ever had to draw your gun for protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
First, thank you for your service Sir. With no disrespect ment do you often share your experience while in the service? I expect you keep those private, something you may share with family but not something you would want to recount on the interweb. Civilan encounters are even more personal and simply not something most want to express on the interweb.

Again thank you for your service and much respect to you and the purple heart you earned.
Thank you for the "thank you, WDB!"

Amongst those who served with me, we're all a quite bit more free with our recollections, lessons learned from years of contemplation, etc.

Here, in a forum about firearms in general, personal protection, etc, I found no inkling in me that it was any way connected to such experiences as war time ones.

I apologize if I've somehow offended members here.

Perhaps I should have started an anonymous poll (if that is allowed here, I haven't looked yet) where members could just register a "yes" or "no" on the question, with no way of knowing who answered in what way.

Again, sorry if I started an "out of line" thread there.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #12

Default Really?

I tend to disagree. i mean if your a cop, although you will be nervous, i think you will have less hastle because your a cop. If the same situation happens to a off duty cop and a civilian, i bet the civilian has to go through more red tape than the cop.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #13

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I seriously doubt that if anybody has actually had to use a firearm in self defense that they'd be willing to talk about it here.
Really? If I had a critical situation, myself, I think a thread on here might be one of the first things I do after I stop shaking. Unless, of course, I had to fire the weapon, in which case I'd have legal constraints to be concerned about.

Maybe I see what you mean now, stalkingbear.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

f**k it to answer your question I have had to pull my gun, and let me tell you what that dog will not biting anyone ever again! (yes there is a story behind it). Honestly though I doubt most people will tell you anything involving people, no one like to have to pull there gun and not that many people look for trouble (except maybe in philly). =)

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I seriously doubt that if anybody has actually had to use a firearm in self defense that they'd be willing to talk about it here.
I see no good reason why they wouldn't (in the case of an actual defensive shooting) as long as the investigation (and any civil or criminal court proceedings were concluded, after all the news media would've already posted a story (or more) about it. If they didn't have to shoot anyone, I certainly see no harm in it.

That's my .02 worth.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDJ77 View Post
I tend to disagree. i mean if your a cop, although you will be nervous, i think you will have less hastle because your a cop. If the same situation happens to a off duty cop and a civilian, i bet the civilian has to go through more red tape than the cop.
You're flat wrong about this Stan, there have been a growing number of prosecutors who, I suppose, though bringing charges against a LEO for protecting themselves, their partners and society as a whole by shooting and killing a perpetrator who was shooting at them, or had shot at them or someone else and were still armed and reasonably believed they were about to shoot at them.

A civilian doesn't have a review board or internal affairs to worry about, whereas a cop does. LEOs may not have as much "hastle" from their peers, but having been involved with investigating an OIS involving one of my subordinates.....the red tape is just as long.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #17

Boy this thread is off the rails...I don't think any of 'em that has is gonna tell about it, Spider. Ask 'em what they're gonna do if/when the time comes. You won't be able to shut 'em up.
I showed a guy a pistol once (no pointing) from car to car in 1991. He was chasing me (wild driving, too) I think because I didn't take off from a traffic light fast enough to suit him. He had had plenty of chances to break off and he didn't. So when he pulled up beside me, I let him see where his next meal was coming from. He and I then parted ways and I never saw him again. Though it's been said many times, you kinda had to be there, ya know?

Let me add a thank you for your service from me as well, Spider.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll talk about my experience. In 2009 I was at a Hardware store I frequent in my home town. This store has existed for many years (a family owned establishment), but just recently started selling guns and ammo. I was picking up some 9mm for my Beretta 92 when a portly man walked in and stepped up to the gun counter.

He said nothing even when the owner asked if he needed help. He just stared at him. It was simply "odd." His mannerisms were off. That's what caught my attention. He paced for a bit then he just pulled out a black snubbie, finger on trigger, and began to raise it toward the owner behind the counter. It was surreal. I simply yelled "Oh, (expletive deleted)" and pulled my 92 from a strong side holster with a cant.

He could not have been more than 3 feet from me. He went to turn to me and saw a gun muzzle at little too close, he dropped his gun on the counter. The owner unloaded it and called the police. I made him sit on the floor with his hands on his head until the police arrived, never pointing anywhere but at his face. When I saw the police cars through the glass doors I laid my gun on the counter.

I provided my CCW and DL. I was questioned extensively. One question I vivdly remember is where he drew his gun from. I remember this question because it was amazing that I honestly did not know. I spoke with the deputies for a while they handed my weapon back to me with the mag removed and the slide locked open. They apparently kept the one from the tube. I got in my car and just looked at the front of the store for what seems like forever thinking nothing and eventually I just drove home.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
I'll talk about my experience. In 2009 I was at a Hardware store I frequent in my home town. This store has existed for many years (a family owned establishment), but just recently started selling guns and ammo. I was picking up some 9mm for my Beretta 92 when a portly man walked in and stepped up to the gun counter.

He said nothing even when the owner asked if he needed help. He just stared at him. It was simply "odd." His mannerisms were off. That's what caught my attention. He paced for a bit then he just pulled out a black snubbie, finger on trigger, and began to raise it toward the owner behind the counter. It was surreal. I simply yelled "Oh, (expletive deleted)" and pulled my 92 from a strong side holster with a cant.

He could not have been more than 3 feet from me. He went to turn to me and saw a gun muzzle at little too close, he dropped his gun on the counter. The owner unloaded it and called the police. I made him sit on the floor with his hands on his head until the police arrived, never pointing anywhere but at his face. When I saw the police cars through the glass doors I laid my gun on the counter.

I provided my CCW and DL. I was questioned extensively. One question I vivdly remember is where he drew his gun from. I remember this question because it was amazing that I honestly did not know. I spoke with the deputies for a while they handed my weapon back to me with the mag removed and the slide locked open. They apparently kept the one from the tube. I got in my car and just looked at the front of the store for what seems like forever thinking nothing and eventually I just drove home.
Wow! That must have been surreal! Glad you kept your head in such a tense situation.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Wow! That must have been surreal! Glad you kept your head in such a tense situation.
Even though the police were there in minutes, it felt like it took an eternity for them to arrive and it took me quite a few days to recover. I was and still am so happy he dropped the revolver. I mean, my finger was already starting to travel on the trigger. If I had been carrying my 1911 he would have already been shot.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 05-24-2011 at 01:00 AM.