Have you ever had to draw your gun for protection?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Have you ever had to draw your gun for protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Have you ever had to draw your gun for protection?

I'm curious about how many here in these forums have actually had to take their weapon out of its holster (glove compartment, etc..) and wield it in the direction of a perceived dangerous person.

And, of course, the secondary question: have you ever had to fire your gun at somebody to protect yourself (or to protect others)?

Please, not military situations and not on-duty law enforcement, just as a civilian with a concealed firearm.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Doubt your going to get many responses for this. Thats the kind of thing people don't want to share or brag about.

But to answer your question, the movie "Shoot 'Em Up" was loosely based on one of my business trips to New York. Nuff said.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 05-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I'm curious about how many here in these forums have actually had to take their weapon out of its holster (glove compartment, etc..) and wield it in the direction of a perceived dangerous person.

And, of course, the secondary question: have you ever had to fire your gun at somebody to protect yourself (or to protect others)?

Please, not military situations and not on-duty law enforcement, just as a civilian with a concealed firearm.
Yes,no

Just cuz someone is a po-po or military doesnt make the situation any less traumatic or legally dangerous or factually dangerous. Use of weapons outside of recreation or training is a traumatic and life altering experience regardless of profession.

You can what if yourself till the next millenia but there is no real way to prep for the reality or describe the aftermath in any real sense to someone that hasnt gone through it. Real blood and bits of people on the ground is NOT what you see on tv

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-19-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yes,no

Just cuz someone is a po-po or military doesnt make the situation any less traumatic or legally dangerous or factually dangerous. Use of weapons outside of recreation or training is a traumatic and life altering experience regardless of profession.

You can what if yourself till the next millenia but there is no real way to prep for the reality or describe the aftermath in any real sense to someone that hasnt gone through it. Real blood and bits of people on the ground is NOT what you see on tv
Amen. Well said Jon.

Spider, the answer to your question is yes, and no. I've drawn on somebody as a civilian and not had to shoot them. As Jon said, there isn't any difference, I experienced the same things as a civilian as I have as a LEO when I've had to draw down on threatening individuals. Traumatic stress is traumatic stress, enough said.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #6

I'm puzzled by these responses. Not that I don't understand the logic in them, I'm just puzzled by these answers to such a simple query here: have you, as a civilian, ever had to draw your concealed handgun?

I'm a wounded Vietnam veteran, there was plenty of "rock and roll" in our unit, and I know all too well about the dangers and griefs, etc. But that's not what I'm including, as noted in my first post, for the simple reason that a war zone or an on duty police situation is not about civilian, permit-bound concealed carry.

As far as how hard it would be to share those experiences here, I'm over a barrel on that one because the question is at the very heart of what the right to carry is all about: personal protection. Yes, I know, some feel that it's also about being some sort of armed militia, etc. But that's another thread.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 728 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 1734

I have not, but when I was a youngster, my Dad was an OTR trucker, and he always kept a .38 revolver with him on trips. On a layover one night in a motel, he heard someone trying to open the window from outside. He pulled back the curtains and showed the gun to the would-be burglar, who remembered an urgent appointment to be elsewhere.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I seriously doubt that if anybody has actually had to use a firearm in self defense that they'd be willing to talk about it here.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not the kind of thing anyone on the internet will ever know about. I just don't feel it's anyone's business.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I'm puzzled by these responses. Not that I don't understand the logic in them, I'm just puzzled by these answers to such a simple query here: have you, as a civilian, ever had to draw your concealed handgun?

I'm a wounded Vietnam veteran, there was plenty of "rock and roll" in our unit, and I know all too well about the dangers and griefs, etc. But that's not what I'm including, as noted in my first post, for the simple reason that a war zone or an on duty police situation is not about civilian, permit-bound concealed carry.

As far as how hard it would be to share those experiences here, I'm over a barrel on that one because the question is at the very heart of what the right to carry is all about: personal protection. Yes, I know, some feel that it's also about being some sort of armed militia, etc. But that's another thread.
First, thank you for your service Sir. With no disrespect ment do you often share your experience while in the service? I expect you keep those private, something you may share with family but not something you would want to recount on the interweb. Civilan encounters are even more personal and simply not something most want to express on the interweb.

Again thank you for your service and much respect to you and the purple heart you earned.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.