Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Have you ever had to draw your gun for protection? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/have-you-ever-had-draw-your-gun-protection-42701/)

Spider 05-19-2011 01:04 PM

Have you ever had to draw your gun for protection?

I'm curious about how many here in these forums have actually had to take their weapon out of its holster (glove compartment, etc..) and wield it in the direction of a perceived dangerous person.

And, of course, the secondary question: have you ever had to fire your gun at somebody to protect yourself (or to protect others)?

Please, not military situations and not on-duty law enforcement, just as a civilian with a concealed firearm.

dnthmn2004 05-19-2011 01:38 PM

Doubt your going to get many responses for this. Thats the kind of thing people don't want to share or brag about.

But to answer your question, the movie "Shoot 'Em Up" was loosely based on one of my business trips to New York. Nuff said.

JonM 05-19-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 507318)
I'm curious about how many here in these forums have actually had to take their weapon out of its holster (glove compartment, etc..) and wield it in the direction of a perceived dangerous person.

And, of course, the secondary question: have you ever had to fire your gun at somebody to protect yourself (or to protect others)?

Please, not military situations and not on-duty law enforcement, just as a civilian with a concealed firearm.

Yes,no

Just cuz someone is a po-po or military doesnt make the situation any less traumatic or legally dangerous or factually dangerous. Use of weapons outside of recreation or training is a traumatic and life altering experience regardless of profession.

You can what if yourself till the next millenia but there is no real way to prep for the reality or describe the aftermath in any real sense to someone that hasnt gone through it. Real blood and bits of people on the ground is NOT what you see on tv

IGETEVEN 05-19-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 507318)

Davo45 05-19-2011 03:02 PM

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 507347)
Yes,no

Just cuz someone is a po-po or military doesnt make the situation any less traumatic or legally dangerous or factually dangerous. Use of weapons outside of recreation or training is a traumatic and life altering experience regardless of profession.

You can what if yourself till the next millenia but there is no real way to prep for the reality or describe the aftermath in any real sense to someone that hasnt gone through it. Real blood and bits of people on the ground is NOT what you see on tv

Amen. Well said Jon.

Spider, the answer to your question is yes, and no. I've drawn on somebody as a civilian and not had to shoot them. As Jon said, there isn't any difference, I experienced the same things as a civilian as I have as a LEO when I've had to draw down on threatening individuals. Traumatic stress is traumatic stress, enough said.

Spider 05-19-2011 03:14 PM

I'm puzzled by these responses. Not that I don't understand the logic in them, I'm just puzzled by these answers to such a simple query here: have you, as a civilian, ever had to draw your concealed handgun?

I'm a wounded Vietnam veteran, there was plenty of "rock and roll" in our unit, and I know all too well about the dangers and griefs, etc. But that's not what I'm including, as noted in my first post, for the simple reason that a war zone or an on duty police situation is not about civilian, permit-bound concealed carry.

As far as how hard it would be to share those experiences here, I'm over a barrel on that one because the question is at the very heart of what the right to carry is all about: personal protection. Yes, I know, some feel that it's also about being some sort of armed militia, etc. But that's another thread. :D

buckhuntr 05-19-2011 10:49 PM

I have not, but when I was a youngster, my Dad was an OTR trucker, and he always kept a .38 revolver with him on trips. On a layover one night in a motel, he heard someone trying to open the window from outside. He pulled back the curtains and showed the gun to the would-be burglar, who remembered an urgent appointment to be elsewhere. :D

stalkingbear 05-20-2011 12:51 AM

I seriously doubt that if anybody has actually had to use a firearm in self defense that they'd be willing to talk about it here.

USMC-03 05-20-2011 03:31 AM

Not the kind of thing anyone on the internet will ever know about. I just don't feel it's anyone's business.

WDB 05-20-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 507381)
I'm puzzled by these responses. Not that I don't understand the logic in them, I'm just puzzled by these answers to such a simple query here: have you, as a civilian, ever had to draw your concealed handgun?

I'm a wounded Vietnam veteran, there was plenty of "rock and roll" in our unit, and I know all too well about the dangers and griefs, etc. But that's not what I'm including, as noted in my first post, for the simple reason that a war zone or an on duty police situation is not about civilian, permit-bound concealed carry.

As far as how hard it would be to share those experiences here, I'm over a barrel on that one because the question is at the very heart of what the right to carry is all about: personal protection. Yes, I know, some feel that it's also about being some sort of armed militia, etc. But that's another thread. :D

First, thank you for your service Sir. With no disrespect ment do you often share your experience while in the service? I expect you keep those private, something you may share with family but not something you would want to recount on the interweb. Civilan encounters are even more personal and simply not something most want to express on the interweb.

Again thank you for your service and much respect to you and the purple heart you earned.