Have you ever had to draw on someone? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Have you ever had to draw on someone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

This us a bit off the subject, but not too far, so I thought I'd share it. About a year ago, my step brother, who is a cop in Denton TX, decided to get the little snip done. He took only one day off to recoop. As soon as he went back to work, he had to chase a perp about a half mile and tackle him. He said he really thought about just shooting the guy just so he wouldn't have to do that.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #62

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
This us a bit off the subject, but not too far, so I thought I'd share it. About a year ago, my step brother, who is a cop in Denton TX, decided to get the little snip done. He took only one day off to recoop. As soon as he went back to work, he had to chase a perp about a half mile and tackle him. He said he really thought about just shooting the guy just so he wouldn't have to do that.
Having been neutered myself...that's an emotion I am TOTALLY in touch with!

Though....I took two weeks off...it WAS the middle of an Arizona summer, and I had oodles and oodles of unused sick time to burn up.

The thought of running after the clip & snip....NFW.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #63

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman

Having been neutered myself...that's an emotion I am TOTALLY in touch with!

Though....I took two weeks off...it WAS the middle of an Arizona summer, and I had oodles and oodles of unused sick time to burn up.

The thought of running after the clip & snip....NFW.
He's one of them tough guys, always trying to prove something to dear old dad (who doesn't need anything like that any way, the dad is golden). This guy also does some of the MMA stuff. If you google "MMA fighter/denton cop" you'll probably find him.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #64

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Thank goodness, no. I have come close once though.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #65

Yes, in the line of duty, affect a warrant. Once after retirement, while witnessing a robbery.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #66

Just turned 57 a couple of months ago, been around firearms since the age of 11 so that's 46 years. Now I have not been concealed carrying for that long, but never had to go far to pick up a handgun, rifle or shotgun. In all those years I guess I've had to rely on a firearm maybe seven or eight times to prevent a bad situation from becoming a worse one. I've been lucky, not once have I had to actually fire on someone. Don't get me wrong, I would have fired if the idiots had not decided they would rather go on living than press the issue.
Situational awareness and a willingness to retreat are nice options if you have them, but don't count on that to be the case in every confrontation. One example would be a very late night drive home with my wife after she got off work. A car started following us, stopped at the bottom of the drive when we pulled into the apartment building parking lot, then gunned it and aimed right at me as I got out of the car. I am dead certain that if I had not had my gun in hand and been able to raise it in time, I would have been seriously injured or killed, and God knows what would have happened to my wife. Once they saw my gun pointed at them though, the driver swerved, and quickly left the area. Total time for all this, five minutes or less. It was not until the driver gunned his engine and tried to run me down that I was certain he had bad intentions. Thank goodness I was armed and had my firearm in my hand as I exited my vehicle as there would have been no way to avoid being run down otherwise. I would have to say that just having a firearm to hand prevents more trouble than most people would expect, leastways if you always respect the firearm and what it can do and don't pull the trigger unless you absolutely have to. And from my example, and others given here, you can see that even stupid criminals want to live more than they want to rob or hurt someone for the most part. Always be ready to draw, and ready to shoot if you do, but it does not hurt to pray that you will not have to do either of these.

Face the sun and the shadows will fall behind you.
Proud NRA member
It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you!!! And the anti-gun zealots are hell bent on disarming every one of us!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #67

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Should I have drawn? I'd say no. I carry as a fall back. It's the ultimate last resort, and, much like Cane said, using the gun is a last resort.
Let me preface by stating I have training in hand to hand and learned well in the service.
Idiot me decided to take a 'short cut', which I know better than.
Man pulled knife and came at me. I didn't have time to even think about my sidearm, and resorted to training. Man wound up with a broken wrist for his trouble, and I didn't see a need to press the issue, as the fight was out of him.
While calling the cops, he ran off. I let him go, because quite simply, I am not interested in trying to run down an idiot.
Gave the cops the account of the attempted mugging, they took the report and never heard from them again.
The sidearm is a last resort for me. I carry, but have no desire to use it. Buying a firearm and thinking that is the end of it, you're prepared, is probably one of the worst mistakes someone can make.
I practice routinely, but I also practice hand to hand. Fortunately, my sons are both large men like me, and we spar regularly, practicing self defense.
One should be capable of using if needed, but should assess the situation before resorting to a sidearm.
The primary reason I carry is because of my line of work doesn't give me the option of picking and choosing what neighborhoods I am in. So...it is my fall back last resort.
Fortunately, it's spent it's life in the holster, which is where I hope it remains.
Now thats good advice. I agree 100%! I carry as an absolute last resort (when all else fails or if my family's life is on the line). I am not a cop nor do I play one in real life. I got my permit mostly because our family does a lot of camping in remote areas. Not a lot of options out in the woods. So far I have made it 46 years without needing a gun other than fun and hunting. My hope is that the guns I own or carry will continued to be used for only fun and hunting and I pray we will never have to face a day when we have to use it for a life threatening situation. Much like an insurance policy... I have it in the event of those unfortunate circumstances that are beyond my control. Otherwise I am at the gun range having fun and building my skills on paper threats.

Last edited by northhike; 11-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 AM   #68

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

I'm not allowed to legally carry here in Illinois, but I have had to grab my shotgun in the wee hours of the morning, stood in my kitchen waiting for two guys to come through my back door (saw them through my bedroom window standing on my back porch)

I can say nothing has ever scared me more than standing on that cold tile floor, listening to two guys whisper on your back porch, fearing you're about to take both of them out with a loud 'bang'

Luckily, for all three of us, they fled. I assume they had been running from the police, because a wandering spotlight shining between the houses coming down the street seemed to spook them. (Squad car appeared to be looking for them)

Either way...that adrenaline rush sticks out in my mind like nothing else.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #69

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The closest I've come to actually drawing were both very similiar. One time a friend and I were sitting @ a Sheetz in WV eating subs. We were in an unused corner of the parking lot because I was pulling my trailer. There was a car with 5 black guys in it blairing rap music and they were cussing back and forth about something really loud over the music. As we were setting there eating one of the guys pretty good sized gets out of the car and begins a fast walk with his eyes locked on us across the parking lot. I asked my buddy what the hell is this guy up to? My old truck was turned off and my window was down (it takes some finesse to get it up). I didn't say anything but was watching him closely as he rapidly closed the difference. I had previously put my pistol in the door compartment of my truck to get it off my hip. He watched as my right hand slid across me and down retrieving my pistol. The window on the passenger side was up and I believe he could see my reflection in it, I never raised it or said anything but he stopped in his tracks about 10' away lookn past me to the passenger window and audibly said WTF spun and made a b line back to his buddies and they were gone. Another time another Sheetz in WV, I was by myself at night getn some gas. As I got back in my truck to leave two Mexicans rapidly closed the distance between us, one of them (no joke) had his hand behind his back up under his jacket like he had a suprise for me. I had my XD 40 out and below the window sil when they got there , literally in a cpl seconds. They both knew there was something down there. As they got within 8' of my drvr side window I said that's close enough , can I help you? They looked at each other then me and one of them stammered something about directions( no such place). I told them I couldn't help them , they said thanks noded their heads turned and walked back to their car. The one guy never took his hand from behind his back under his jacket. I left , checking my rearview occasionally. I didn't have to acctually show my weapon in either incident and thank god didn't have to use it, but I'm convinced the fact that I had it and the fact they new I had something and didn't intend to be or behave like a victim saved me from becoming one. Before anyone gets the wrong impression I'm simply telling you their race black/mexican giving an accurate account . White people do bad things also.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #70

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Never actually drawn, but I've reached the point where I had my hand on my gun ready to draw, warning the person away. Around here, you don't want draw a gun unless and until you need to use it. The local anti-gun authorities love to get people with the "brandishing" law.

My story and many others here point out something the anti-gunners won't admit to. In the vast majority of self defense situations involving a gun, no shots are ever fired.

Last edited by Paladin201; 01-07-2012 at 04:08 PM.