Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Have you ever had to draw on someone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #51
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

I've been in 14 firefights, have been mortared and rocketed and have lived through 4 command detonated explosive events. I've been wounded twice, once severly. Other than your standard bar fights where somebody wields a pool cue or a bottle, I've never personally witnessed violence with a weapon in CONUS, and I've only drawn my 1911 once: when a homeless guy tried to get into my truck at a stoplight outside MacDill AFB in Tampa. He opened the door, took one look down that pipe and vanished like freakin Harry Potter.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #52

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62
I've been in 14 firefights, have been mortared and rocketed and have lived through 4 command detonated explosive events. I've been wounded twice, once severly. Other than your standard bar fights where somebody wields a pool cue or a bottle, I've never personally witnessed violence with a weapon in CONUS, and I've only drawn my 1911 once: when a homeless guy tried to get into my truck at a stoplight outside MacDill AFB in Tampa. He opened the door, took one look down that pipe and vanished like freakin Harry Potter.
Harry Potter would have yelled "Expeliarmus!!"

Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #53

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62
Thank you for your service to our country, and im glad you servived your wounds and are still with us today,
Tom

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproofvest400 View Post
I like your story a lot. It's like a scene in a movie. LOL.

I've never drawn my gun before, since I don't take it out much. I prefer keeping myself protected. Most of the time, I wear a ballistic vest to stay away from immediate death.
Thank you. The only thing missing from my account
is the profanity shouted when drawing the gun. And
believe me I would have used the weapon without hesitation.
I often wonder if she ever thinks about the taxicab driver who
saved her life that fateful night in 1991?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #55

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproofvest400

I've never drawn my gun before, since I don't take it out much. I prefer keeping myself protected. Most of the time, I wear a ballistic vest to stay away from immediate death.
I wore a "vest" for quite a while as a LEO, even though you get used to wearing them after a while i still couldnt wait to get the damn thing off at the end of shift. I dont think that i would want to wear one everyday allday.. thats a little overboard

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 11-04-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproofvest400 View Post

oh really? cool story bro.

I like the way you tried to sneak your spam in there

Old 11-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #57

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on that.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #58

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Thank you for your service Marine. God bless and keep you and all who wear the uniform.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #59

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I wore a "vest" for quite a while as a LEO, even though you get used to wearing them after a while i still couldnt wait to get the damn thing off at the end of shift. I dont think that i would want to wear one everyday allday.. thats a little overboard
AMEN! They peel off like a sweatsock. It's like....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...especially at the end of a double shift.

Still...the new vests beat the crap out of our old ones.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #60

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCraig View Post
I have been carrying a gun for over 25 years. 10 years as a police officer and I have aimed it at a lot of people over the years. Off-duty and in civilian life, I have pulled it probably 4 times.

Once I was driving home and I guess a guy had a bad day. He started serving behind me for whatever reason, but the traffic on the small 2-lane road really didn't allow for him to pass or me to let him. After 5 minutes we got to a point in the road where there was more room and I moved over to let him pass. As he got beside me he served and almost hit me. Of course he only had one hand on the wheel as he was gesturing to me at the time. Once he got in front, instead of driving on, he started slamming on the brakes. I refused to play along and just pulled to the shoulder of the road to wait and let him get some distance. Unfortunately, he pulled over too. I stayed in the car and pulled my .45 from my waistband and kept it below his line of view. I hoped he'd flip me off and drive away. He got out of his car and had a tire tool. I was not going to let him trap me in the car. They tell you in the police academy, don't let your car be your coffin.

So after he made it past the trunk of his car, I got out aimed at him and said "Stop, or die." I didn't yell or scream and spoke clearly and loudly enough to know that he could hear me. He stopped and I could tell he had a sudden moment of clarity as his facial expression changed, he said "thank you" and turned, walked back to his car and got in and drove away. For me it wasn't a real standout moment, but for him, I think it was substantial.

Over the years I can tell you from experience that stupid, drunk, and drugged people have no fear of a weapon. If you pull it on one of them, be prepared to use it because they will almost always challenge you on it.

- Craig
TRUTH!

I have always maintained that fat, drunk, and stupid, is no way to go through life. When I was a baby cop, I worked a district that was adjacent to a small plot of yaqui indian reservation within the city limits. The residents would walk off the rez to purchase liquor and hit the dive bars on the next block...they'd get loaded and violent. The ONLY thing that would "get them to alter their thinking" was a K9 or you'd damned near have to beat them to death, because they'd damn sure try to beat YOU to death. If you drew your weapon...someone WAS going to be shot. The presence of the weapon did NOTHING as a threat management tool or deterrent.

When dealing with these problem children, I'd spend a WHOLE lot of time talking to them before I'd roll around on the ground with them. About one in five times, you could actually penetrate the booze haze and reason with them, and get compliance. Usually (sadly), they'd get all wound up and try to beat your head in.

Last edited by ArizonaLawman; 11-16-2011 at 01:23 PM.