Handgun or Shotgun for home defense? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Handgun or Shotgun for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If you choose shotgun, use buckshot. Bird shot is for the birds.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 08-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the answer is simple.

If all you have is a shotgun then that would be the answer.

If you have a handgun and a shotgun, then the handgun is the answer. You are talking about a "close encounter" inside a house. A handgun is made for close up work.

Just my opinion.

OC

"magbum"

Old 08-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
THe XD is available with a 4 and 5" barrel in 45. 3" in 40, 9, 357. There is a 45 compact available with a shortened grip for easier conceal carry.
Yeah, I heard those guns have a very good reputation. Sounds great. 3 inches is good for a 40 and below. That's comparable to a Glock .40 caliber compact (Glock 23). I know the XDs tend to have more features than Glock.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357 View Post
I think the answer is simple.

If all you have is a shotgun then that would be the answer.

If you have a handgun and a shotgun, then the handgun is the answer. You are talking about a "close encounter" inside a house. A handgun is made for close up work.

Just my opinion.

OC
+1 on that.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
Yeah, I heard those guns have a very good reputation. Sounds great. 3 inches is good for a 40 and below. That's comparable to a Glock .40 caliber compact (Glock 23). I know the XDs tend to have more features than Glock.
XD sub compact is actually more like a glock 26, dimention wise they are basically identical. IMO, the XD is the best polymer gun on the market and is head and shoulders above the glock.

I've had 2 XD's and never had an issue with either. My XD45 has several thousand rounds thru it with absolutely no problems. Google XD tourture test, it's worth the read.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
XD sub compact is actually more like a glock 26, dimention wise they are basically identical. IMO, the XD is the best polymer gun on the market and is head and shoulders above the glock.

I've had 2 XD's and never had an issue with either. My XD45 has several thousand rounds thru it with absolutely no problems. Google XD tourture test, it's worth the read.
I'll check it out.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Tarus PT745, it shoots and feels nice, but still partial to my XD45 w/4" barrel. Recoil is a little more with the PT745, but after you get used to it, not that bad.

Layton