Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Handgun or Shotgun for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Keep a .45 holstered up on the hip with a 12-gauge sitting close by. And a big bowie knife.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Handgun. You should be able to get a hit on a human-sized target from across a room. If you can't, a shotgun might not be a great idea either...

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 08-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #13
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

More questions than answers.
What is your experience with a shotgun or a pistol?
What firearms do you own or expect to own for HD?
How often do you shoot either?
Do you practice drills in your home?
Do you have a plan that you and your family undrstands?
What kind of security do you have at home (dead bolts, motions lights, alarm system)?
Do you own a dog?
If not have you considerred getting a dog?
What is the response time for local LEO?
Whats the crime rate in your area?

Lots of questions but they truly impact how you should think. The best defense is making your home less of a target, make the bad guy look for an easier home to hit. If that fails a solid plan needs to be in place and practiced by everyone that lives in the home. The final line of defense requires you to fully understand the above questions and to be able to react with the right force to keep you and yours safe. If I could honestly answer your question I'd be rich, there is no single answer to your question, just a lot of questions you need to consider.

Telling you what keeps me safe at home is like telling you what size pants to wear. It's all about what fits your life to keep you and yours safe.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
More questions than answers.
What is your experience with a shotgun or a pistol?
What firearms do you own or expect to own for HD?
How often do you shoot either?
Do you practice drills in your home?
Do you have a plan that you and your family undrstands?
What kind of security do you have at home (dead bolts, motions lights, alarm system)?
Do you own a dog?
If not have you considerred getting a dog?
What is the response time for local LEO?
Whats the crime rate in your area?

Lots of questions but they truly impact how you should think. The best defense is making your home less of a target, make the bad guy look for an easier home to hit. If that fails a solid plan needs to be in place and practiced by everyone that lives in the home. The final line of defense requires you to fully understand the above questions and to be able to react with the right force to keep you and yours safe. If I could honestly answer your question I'd be rich, there is no single answer to your question, just a lot of questions you need to consider.

Telling you what keeps me safe at home is like telling you what size pants to wear. It's all about what fits your life to keep you and yours safe.
Why didn't I think of that! Make your home a hard target. Well, might as well deter the enemy from thinking of coming to your house in the first place!
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 AM   #15

A sign I recommend putting up is
"Trespasser will be shot, survivors will be shot again"

S.S.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:29 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
Why didn't I think of that! Make your home a hard target. Well, might as well deter the enemy from thinking of coming to your house in the first place!
Being a smart azz doesn't help you at all, good advice. sorry if you were looking for a blazing gun response. I noticed you didn't bother answering any of the questions, read them again there was more questions than those concerning making your home a hard target. The questions conecerning your firearm experience, the firearms you own and the training you do. Don't ask a question if you don't want good advice and don't disrespect a person who ask you more questions before giving you advice. I asked the questions to provide an informed response, clearly not something you want.

Based on your thougthful response I think an airsoft pistol would be the prefect choice

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 08-13-2009 at 05:43 AM.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #17

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

45 acp.............

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For those who don't currently own any guns, and can only afford one, you really can't go wrong with a .45 ACP semi-auto pistol like the 1911 or Springfield XD.

It's very capable for home defense, and with a concealed carry permit, you can carry it on your person or stashed away in your vehicle.

The handgun simply gives you good protection in more places.

A pistol is also best for people who don't have the time, money or inclination to practice their shooting regularly.

It's also easier for people of smaller physical stature (like wives and kids) to handle and fire in an emergency, in case you get waylaid by intruders while trying to defend them.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #19

What's the barrell length/overall size of the .45 ACP and Springfield XD?

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

THe XD is available with a 4 and 5" barrel in 45. 3" in 40, 9, 357. There is a 45 compact available with a shortened grip for easier conceal carry.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer