Handgun or Shotgun for home defense?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Handgun or Shotgun for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handgun or Shotgun for home defense?

Which one is better for home defense? The Shotgun or Handgun?

I've heard mixed opinions. I've heard that shotgun has better stopping power than a handgun. I've heard that the shotgun has less potential to penetrate through house walls versus a handgun. Shotgun is easier to aim and use accurately to hit a target.

As for Handgun, I've heard that it's easier to move around with when it comes to mobility and agility. They are lighter in weight. You can conceal them in the house better, even lock them up easier. Easier when using integrated Flashlights and Red Sights. You don't have to worry about shots spreading, which could harm individuals you don't want to harm.

What's everyone's take on this here?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yes, a shotgun has more power then a handgun but it's not a "aim for the doorway" weapon. You can't simply point at a person and think you'll get a stopping hit. They do require practice to be used effectively, like any other tool. I personally don't have enough time or a place to seriously train with my shotguns so when I'm chasing the boogie man I reach for my 45. I spend more time behind my 45 then I do any other firearm. I can point and shoot and know I'm going to make a solid hit, aiming takes time.
If you want to spend the time to train with a shotgun, its a fine choice but I'm willing to bet that you'll spend more time with the pistol.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My pump 12 shotty is within reach of my pillow. My XD45 is on the other side of the bed in a drawer. If i am awoken by a scary noise, i reach for the shotty. Mine has been modified slightly to be easier to maneuver (shorter barrel & different stock). I think much of the difference is what you are more comfortable with; i've had that shotty since 1996 or so.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #4

Yeah, I agree. I feel like I should have a Shotgun ready, and think it's exceptional for home defense, but I have mine setup so I use it while I'm up and about around the house, not really when I need to defend myself at night while being waked up at night. I have a USP with a laser sight near my bed. You're right about the shotgun only being good if used effectively. If you don't hit someone dead on, I'm sure it loses it's potential to stop someone. The pistol can be pointed around and managed faster.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

The shotgun makes a lot of sense for a defensive stand. I agree it is NOT a point and click interface. Measure from your likely shooting position (behind the bed) to the doorway. Shoot your favorite load at that range and see how little the spread is. Generally 1" of spread for each yard to the target. 12 feet to the target = 4" pattern (less if you are using a "reduced recoil' or "tactical" load). Not exactly a Claymore like kill zone.

If you have to "clear the house" a handgun will be easier to maneuver.

Different tools for different jobs.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #6

Its preference, as you stated the pro/cons.
Shotgun has power, handguns have the size.

If you have a house, I say shotgun. Apartment I say handgun. But, either will do if you land the shots.

S.S.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The shotgun makes a lot of sense for a defensive stand. I agree it is NOT a point and click interface. Measure from your likely shooting position (behind the bed) to the doorway. Shoot your favorite load at that range and see how little the spread is. Generally 1" of spread for each yard to the target. 12 feet to the target = 4" pattern (less if you are using a "reduced recoil' or "tactical" load). Not exactly a Claymore like kill zone.
Absolutely, but 2" > .45" from my pistol. Of course, the pistol would give me a faster followup than the pump shotty.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #8

Absolutely! I never doubt the Shotgun, that's why I have one ready, but I use it when I'm out and about the house during the day. My concern about the shotgun is that it is a longarm, and coming around those corners can be tricky. I don't want a bad guy grabbing hold of my longarm. I'm not clearing a hostile zone, so I can't assume I should ram the shotgun into anyone that around the corner without looking first.

The Handgun is by my bed and I feel I need the agility when I wake up groggy in the middle of the night to check out what that noise was. I can keep the handgun closer to my body, and still pointed in the right direction as I quickly come around those corners.

Yes, I agree. Pistol is better for room clearing and it's small size suits a smaller establishment such as an apartment. The Shotgun is not a gun to forget about with home defense, actually I think it's better in my opinion, but I believe it's better for the daylight when I can see a little better.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #9

Dont forget that in 1 shot there are more projectiles than a single pistol shot.

S.S.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #10

I have both handy. The XD is my immediate pal, and then if time permits, I'll slip on my Mossy 500 with its shoulder strap. Tough question tho - I guess that's why SO many guns are made - everyone has differing preferences and needs!

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!