Handgun safe
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Handgun safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1251 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Default Handgun safe

With little Yunus due to arrive in several weeks I figure it's time to consider my handgun safe. I keep one handgun in my bedroom in a nightstand and want to continue to do so but only in a manner that makes sure it will be secure unless myself or my wife decides to get to it.

I know some are against the electronic safes and I tend to agree, I really don't want batteries to fail me at the worst possible time. So what brand/model whatever would you use to lock up a single home defense handgun?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yunus - I have had one of these, mounted to one of two bedside table stands, for over 5 years now and never had a problem.

Gunvault Multivault Safe: GS

The "battery power" needed to keep this thing "running" is so small, you could probably power it with a starchy potato in a dire emergency. We are talking seriously, SERIOULY low power threshold to run.

I change my batteries about twice a year, give or take a month if I forget to buy new batteries when the time is right. Never had a problem.

Now, this is not a true safe. If you want into this thing, with a screwdriver and a hammer, you are getting in. This keeps the honest, and little un-educated, hands out and keeps what is inside safe in a relative term.

If you want to go a little more serious, you can get one that goes between the wall studs in the closet and has biometric features. I forget the company that makes the one I am thinking of. Homak is one company. Securelogic is another one. Shop around.

Basically you cut a hole in your drywall, mount this safe to the existing studs. Flush it in nice and tight. Hang some shirts in front of it, or stack an empty box or two in front of it.

You need in, it's quick and easy, especially with the biometric versions.

Rest of the time, no one is the wiser.

Give it some thought and see what works for you.

Good luck!

JD

Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Height is your friend for quite some time, Yunus. When the grandkids are here, the guns are way up high, but not locked away because when they are here, my commitment to keeping this house safe goes WAY up.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 04-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have small kids and keep my firearms in a safe unless it's on my person. I have a handgun safe from Sentry that works very well. I would feel comfortable with a locked box and keep it at the top of the closet up until around 9yrs old.

As always, education is a good prevention. My kids get to shoot and help clean my firearms and know gun safety. They have no curiosity that has not been answered, so there's no need to sneak.

It's those that had no idea, then suddenly 'find' a gun who are more likely to abuse it. Just my opinion.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Height is your friend for quite some time, Yunus. When the grandkids are here, the guns are way up high, but not locked away because when they are here, my commitment to keeping this house safe goes WAY up.
amen. same at "Papa's house" along with education. but the "little Yunus" not here yet you still have the time to baby proof the house.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

First of all, congratulations on the upcoming arrival of little Yunus! I went through this a little over a year ago (little utf59 will be 1 year old tomorrow — April 15). I got (for Christmas) a bedside safe that has both electronic and key entry. I can't remember the brand, but it was less than $100. I wanted (and got) a safe with both modes of entry and a spring-loaded front door that will pop open when released.

In my case, the gun is only in the safe at night. Now that my little guy is starting to get around more on his own, I'll pocket the keys to the safe until I go to bed. I prefer using the key to get into the safe, as it's much faster.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #7

I got a small lock box with both key/key pad entry cost less than 60$ this works well for me. If my kids where still little I would place it somewhere out of their reach. Good luck with finding what you need and congrats on the upcomming arrival of your little one.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #8

Default handgun safe

Check out. ADG sports model number 33018. I have this safe and love it. Has 5 digit combination on 4 digit keypad. And also comes with 2 keys. Use keypad or key. Spring loaded top. I have this thing bolted in the bottom or my night stand. Very quick to open. Has alarm on it if someone tries the wrong combo 5 times. Will hold two handguns with room to spare. I called the company direct and got a cheaper price. But well worth what they have it priced for online. Plus you can set the combo to whatever numbers you want to.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223fever View Post
Check out. ADG sports model number 33018. I have this safe and love it. Has 5 digit combination on 4 digit keypad. And also comes with 2 keys. Use keypad or key. Spring loaded top. I have this thing bolted in the bottom or my night stand. Very quick to open. Has alarm on it if someone tries the wrong combo 5 times. Will hold two handguns with room to spare. I called the company direct and got a cheaper price. But well worth what they have it priced for online. Plus you can set the combo to whatever numbers you want to.
Thanks for reminding me of the company. The safe I described above is the 33013, seen right above yours on their web page. ADG Sports

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #10

Liked 1251 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 396

All very good info. I'm now just trying to decide what style works best for me and the space I have.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson