Hammerless Revolver and Ankle Holster

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Hammerless Revolver and Ankle Holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hammerless Revolver and Ankle Holster

Every ankle holster I have looked at mentions a spurred hammer. Since I will carry a Taurus 650 does it make a large amount of difference if the holster is for a spurred hammer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Ankle holsters are not in favor these days. If you anticipate any level of physical exertion a spurless revolver will likely work loose. I would consider an ankle holster only for a backup gun, never a primary gun.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #3

Thanks Robo for your input, don't really care what is in favor right now as an ankle holster will fit my needs best. But I have not found a spurless ankle holster and was hopeful what I did find would work.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #4

Liked 267 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Never found an ankle holster I could use. Makes my boot fit too tight for my jeans.

Did have an inside the waistband holster slip down into my boot top once. Bound up the leg of my jeans, had to drop my pants to retrieve my gun!

Bob Wright

Old 12-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #5

I use a Fobus ankle holster with my S+W 642.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee58 View Post
Thanks Robo for your input, don't really care what is in favor right now as an ankle holster will fit my needs best. But I have not found a spurless ankle holster and was hopeful what I did find would work.

I think Robocop's reply was pretty much dead on. If you are wondering if a holster made for a spurred hammer will work with a concealed hammer revolver, maybe you should reconsider whether or not the anke rig really will fit your needs best.

An ankle holster is usually used for deep cover or a back up for a reason. It's really not the greatest way to carry a gun unless you plan to sit and never move your legs, or it's COMPLETELY secure. If a holster designed for a spurred hammer revolver is used for a concealed or shrouded hammer, the application is wrong and it will not be a secure fit. You would need to find one that secures the weapon with a strap over the trigger guard, or uses a tensioner like the Galco Ankle Glove.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 12-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #7

I've been using ankle carry successfully with a S&W 442 for years as a backup. It is hammerless.

I'm not a fan of Uncle Mikes at all...but when I wanted to experiment with ankle carry for back up I wanted to start cheap to see if it will work. It works fine for backup...for primary you might want to consider pocket carry which I also do as well...but it sounds like you're really committed to this mode of carry.

So, I can tell you the Uncle Mikes works as well as the Renegade Cozy Partner (which is my favorite ankle holster) and the Galco - all three work, are affordable and work well.

www.ofagear.com - OFA's On-Line Pro Shop

Fast is fine...but the Jury is Final!