Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Hammerless Revolver and Ankle Holster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/hammerless-revolver-ankle-holster-9041/)

dlee58 12-09-2008 05:37 AM

Hammerless Revolver and Ankle Holster

Every ankle holster I have looked at mentions a spurred hammer. Since I will carry a Taurus 650 does it make a large amount of difference if the holster is for a spurred hammer?

robocop10mm 12-09-2008 12:32 PM

Ankle holsters are not in favor these days. If you anticipate any level of physical exertion a spurless revolver will likely work loose. I would consider an ankle holster only for a backup gun, never a primary gun.

dlee58 12-10-2008 05:44 PM

Thanks Robo for your input, don't really care what is in favor right now as an ankle holster will fit my needs best. But I have not found a spurless ankle holster and was hopeful what I did find would work.

Bob Wright 12-12-2008 04:11 PM

Never found an ankle holster I could use. Makes my boot fit too tight for my jeans.

Did have an inside the waistband holster slip down into my boot top once. Bound up the leg of my jeans, had to drop my pants to retrieve my gun!

Bob Wright

tmcculloch 12-20-2008 11:05 PM

I use a Fobus ankle holster with my S+W 642.

jeepcreep927 12-21-2008 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlee58 (Post 55040)
Thanks Robo for your input, don't really care what is in favor right now as an ankle holster will fit my needs best. But I have not found a spurless ankle holster and was hopeful what I did find would work.

I think Robocop's reply was pretty much dead on. If you are wondering if a holster made for a spurred hammer will work with a concealed hammer revolver, maybe you should reconsider whether or not the anke rig really will fit your needs best.

An ankle holster is usually used for deep cover or a back up for a reason. It's really not the greatest way to carry a gun unless you plan to sit and never move your legs, or it's COMPLETELY secure. If a holster designed for a spurred hammer revolver is used for a concealed or shrouded hammer, the application is wrong and it will not be a secure fit. You would need to find one that secures the weapon with a strap over the trigger guard, or uses a tensioner like the Galco Ankle Glove.

OFADAN 12-21-2008 03:11 PM

I've been using ankle carry successfully with a S&W 442 for years as a backup. It is hammerless.

I'm not a fan of Uncle Mikes at all...but when I wanted to experiment with ankle carry for back up I wanted to start cheap to see if it will work. It works fine for backup...for primary you might want to consider pocket carry which I also do as well...but it sounds like you're really committed to this mode of carry.

So, I can tell you the Uncle Mikes works as well as the Renegade Cozy Partner (which is my favorite ankle holster) and the Galco - all three work, are affordable and work well.