Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Had to Clear my house last night...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I welcome anyone's experiences be they false or real. They can only help us be more prepared. An alarm system and my dogs are my early warning systems, but my line of offense is my 12 gauge. Thank you for your post.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
Wow, this got of topic while I was on vacation...

Now, back on topic. So, part of my vacation is a 5 day cruise off the coast of Mexico. Of course, for "security" reasons, you aren't allowed to bring firearms on board the ship. Security is something of a joke, as the guards don't carry guns themselves. They probably use kind words, drinks, and good food to try and deter would be violent attackers to back off. Not much comfort to me when I'm below deck sleeping...

I really, really missed having my Glock 23 by my bedside. Now that I'm back home, I feel much safer having both a firearm and a new tactical flashlight near me.

Which reminds me, I had the opportunity to shoot a real Colt Government Model 1911 while on vacation. Wow, just wow. I had never fired a 1911 style pistol before then. I now want to get a Taurus 1911 (as they're only $600) for my bedside pistol).
Heck yeah. 1911 45s are surprisingly not too bulky.

I'm going on a cruise next week for a matter of fact. Are you serious?! Do they at least have a Combat Squad ready to pounce on some Sea Pirates?! Gosh. Now I don't feel so safe. I'm going on a Norwegian Cruise Line to the Bahamas.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Welcome home and as far as 1911's go................
All American Gun!
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I use a surefire G2 for the bedside. It is cheap, reliable and has the instant-on button on the cap. It only lasts 25-30min at full burn but a very good light.

My only comment on your actions is that I would be very cautious about creeping around the house looking for an intruder. I realize that everyones situation is different but you lose alot of tactical advantage if you go looking for the badguy.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelstaR View Post
I use a surefire G2 for the bedside. It is cheap, reliable and has the instant-on button on the cap. It only lasts 25-30min at full burn but a very good light.

My only comment on your actions is that I would be very cautious about creeping around the house looking for an intruder. I realize that everyones situation is different but you lose alot of tactical advantage if you go looking for the badguy.
What do you suggest, Tel?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelstaR View Post

I live in an apt. When I say I'm "looking around" I mean I'm turning the one corner that exists around my bedroom door to the hall which connects to the living room.

Now, if I lived in a 5 bedroom house and thought I heard footsteps, I'd probably lock my family up in the baby's room and call the cops, as I'm not about to take on that many rooms, windows, and doors in the dark by myself...

Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #37

Well, crap I'm just going to move through and take anybody out that I come across. That training I got in Blackwater while doing the Navy's VBSS training pays off.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
Well, crap I'm just going to move through and take anybody out that I come across. That training I got in Blackwater while doing the Navy's VBSS training pays off.
No offense, but was the primary objective of that training to keep you & your family alive or was it more aimed at securing the structure? If somebody breaks in, my primary objective is to keep myself alive; i'll let the cops worry about catching a burglar. I will be happy to help them by shooting this burglar if he comes into my room/area or endangers someone else in my home.

I should point out that i've never been through that training. (I also have a crappy old TV that duder is welcome to.)

Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #39

If someone comes into my home, I'm not going to be a coward. Actually I would be very excited to give him what he deserves if he was so intent on either breaking glass or going through my door's deadbolt and safety chain. I'm not helping myself by staying tight in my room. He can easily get me at a disadvantage if I stay in one spot too long. It's much more effective to bring the fight to him, as long as I do it fast enough. Chances are I know my way around better than he does, so this fool has some hesitation that I won't have.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #40

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If someone is breaking in and you can kill them, then you should. If someone has already broken in and you can kill them, then by all means, kill them. If someone MAY have broken in, and you have no idea what is going on, you are at a distinct disadvantage because you have to go to where that person is without letting him or her know. Rush into a room with a weapon already pointed at your belly button (Seriously, duck-walking just gets you killed quicker) or secure your position and bring in reinforcements?
I've "cleared" this house twice, and at every turn I would have lost to a dedicated opponent. I don't own anything worth dying for, so at best, I would let the intruder know that I had called the cops and promise not to shoot him as he runs off the property. Three days later, if everyone is still alive, it's a success.
When it comes to my family, it's a whole different story, but the same story. We are going to stay where we are, safe and armed, and do our best to keep a robbery from becoming something worse. Back to the earlier advice I gave, if I can kill them, then by all means I will, but I won't diminish my families defensive posture by sacrificing myself. Holding ground is easier than taking it. House clearing at the end of Pudding Ridge Road is just like house clearing at Little Creek. Okay, there's a lot more tires at Little Creek, but home defense and tactical house take-downs are two different animals.
In one, you have a tactical requirement to take control of a building. In the other, everyone is still breathing and you need to keep it that way.