Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Had to Clear my house last night...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 03:29 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If you research the difference between the .40 caliber and .45 caliber, you'll find out that the .40 caliber gives more energy transfer in the target. That means better stopping power and damage. The .45 caliber being a bigger bullet doesn't mean it's more powerful than the smaller .40 caliber bullet.

I have two flashlights. A surefire for my shotgun, and a Tacstar with my USP 9mm. I have those two for home defense.

I like the USP because it has good balance in my hands, and handles follow up shots very well.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:32 AM   #22

Shooting with one hand shouldn't be that bad. Just put the flashlight under your gun, and your gun resting over your wrist. If you have a surefire light with the light switch on the side, you'll be able to hold the pistol almost normal while having your light up to the gun. I used one of these Surefires when I went through VBSS training with the Navy. It works really well in CQB situations. The Surefires are great for blinding people, therefore possibly intimidating your enemy enough to potentially avoid having to shoot your gun in the first place.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #23

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
If you research the difference between the .40 caliber and .45 caliber, you'll find out that the .40 caliber gives more energy transfer in the target. That means better stopping power and damage. The .45 caliber being a bigger bullet doesn't mean it's more powerful than the smaller .40 caliber bullet.

What are you smoking?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd sure love to know where you got your "facts" and how much the gumball machine was that held them! Was it a 25 cent 1? You're talking out your a$$.

Quote:

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #25

Now hold your horses. I'll get that link for you. Maybe I'm wrong. You can check for yourself. You also don't have to be so rude. You think using those dollar signs are going to disguise what you said?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
SA - I have to concur with Cane and S.Bear on this one. The reason the .40S&W was developed was because members of the FBI Academy didn't have hands big enough to hold the .45 ACP chambered weapons.

Along comes Smith & Wesson with a novel idea that JUST HAPPENS to coincide with a new handgun line.

The .40 S&W is a good round. I carried it for years and never thought twice about it.

But, it definitely does not transfer more energy into the target than the original .45 ACP does.

JD

Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
SA - I have to concur with Cane and S.Bear on this one. The reason the .40S&W was developed was because members of the FBI Academy didn't have hands big enough to hold the .45 ACP chambered weapons.

Along comes Smith & Wesson with a novel idea that JUST HAPPENS to coincide with a new handgun line.

The .40 S&W is a good round. I carried it for years and never thought twice about it.

But, it definitely does not transfer more energy into the target than the original .45 ACP does.

JD
In fact there is a posting,might be on here showing the 9mm,.40,and the 45 and expanding characteristics in ballistic jell, when you look at the three together, the 45 is definitely the best of the 3.

But really, before that, I was partial to the 45, mainly I have actually seen what they are capable of doint to the human body when there is good placement. That is why I am partial to the 45 and the 308. But that is just my opinion.

Layton

Old 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #28

The thing is, is that the .40 and .45 are so close together on energy transfer and what Layton points out. I apologize if I was so sure of stating the .40 caliber's performance over the 45 caliber. I am personally researching this on the internet to determine the differences between the .40 and .45

Some people claim that the .40 caliber has a higher success rate on the hollowpoints, and more times of not failing. That could just be publicity, or from Law Enforcement cops that have used and sworn by the .40 caliber a long time.

What's everyone else think? I know this isn't up to topic with this current forum, but this is interesting (maybe we should start a new forum about these two rounds?).

Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, this got of topic while I was on vacation...

Now, back on topic. So, part of my vacation is a 5 day cruise off the coast of Mexico. Of course, for "security" reasons, you aren't allowed to bring firearms on board the ship. Security is something of a joke, as the guards don't carry guns themselves. They probably use kind words, drinks, and good food to try and deter would be violent attackers to back off. Not much comfort to me when I'm below deck sleeping...

I really, really missed having my Glock 23 by my bedside. Now that I'm back home, I feel much safer having both a firearm and a new tactical flashlight near me.

Which reminds me, I had the opportunity to shoot a real Colt Government Model 1911 while on vacation. Wow, just wow. I had never fired a 1911 style pistol before then. I now want to get a Taurus 1911 (as they're only $600) for my bedside pistol).

Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #30

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
Wow, this got of topic while I was on vacation...

Now, back on topic. So, part of my vacation is a 5 day cruise off the coast of Mexico. Of course, for "security" reasons, you aren't allowed to bring firearms on board the ship. Security is something of a joke, as the guards don't carry guns themselves. They probably use kind words, drinks, and good food to try and deter would be violent attackers to back off. Not much comfort to me when I'm below deck sleeping...

I really, really missed having my Glock 23 by my bedside. Now that I'm back home, I feel much safer having both a firearm and a new tactical flashlight near me.

Which reminds me, I had the opportunity to shoot a real Colt Government Model 1911 while on vacation. Wow, just wow. I had never fired a 1911 style pistol before then. I now want to get a Taurus 1911 (as they're only $600) for my bedside pistol).

Welcome home and as far as 1911's go................

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”