Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Had to Clear my house last night...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I definitely have some catching up to do, but I do have one advantage.

I keep 2 boxers in the house. They will slow anybody down and let me know where the BG is. With my 3 boys' bedrooms on the opposite end of the house, it's nice to send out a "scout".

Old 07-31-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A good dog and a good alarm system goes a long way. If you live in an appartment these are not options another reason to buy a home when you can. Evwen with the dogs and alarm I've been waken much the same as described by the OP. Didn't bother getting dressed, grabbed my pistol, held my ground for a minute, listening for follow up noise. When I didn't hear it I swept my house. I carry a S&W M&P 45 with night sights and when I go to bed I clip on a light/laser combo. I'm not trying to be tactocool but believe that if I have my pistol/light/secondary sight all in one hand it allows the other hand to be free. I've read and seen where having the light in the opposite hand can be an advantage but for me this set up works in practice. If I see the threat in my light it is already in my sights. Target aquired, I can shoot single hand or two hand with out having to move or drop my light.

My 2 cents

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
What I don't get is why you took the time to put shorts on. I'm positive the sight of somebody my size naked & holding a large handgun & light would scare the bejeebers out of a burglar.
Thanks bear. Now I won't sleep tonight.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:06 AM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Plus, if you shoot them naked it adds insult to injury!

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 07-31-2009, 07:25 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Another cheap suggestion on the light.

I have a coleman,small ,tactical light that uses 3AAA batteries from wal mart for $29....115lumens is plenty of light.

I think the .40 would have done the job without any complaints, but I'd rather use buckshot or slugs given the chance.

Thanks for the write up!

Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #16

My brother once ordered a bad guy out of his garage at gunpoint. 0500 in the morning and dressed only in his tighty-whiteys. Held him until the deputies arrived. Sometimes there isn't enough time to dress properly.

We fight for Truth, Justice, and the American Way....

Old 08-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #17

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
What I don't get is why you took the time to put shorts on. I'm positive the sight of somebody my size naked & holding a large handgun & light would scare the bejeebers out of a burglar.

Forget the sight of that. Just the thought of that alone scares the bejeebers out of me.

LOL

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default My 1.5 cents, worth even less than that...

This last week we have had an awful (for us) heat wave in the Northwest. We've had all the fans on, a portable AC unit in our bedroom, and add to that a LOT of windows open. I sleep well, but lightly. My ears are my best alarm. So the open windows and room noise brought some anxiety, but better than 100 degree nights.

We locked our bedroom door, which would provide NO security, but would at least give me a few extra seconds to grab my Glock which rests on the open door of a GunVault 1000DLX safe right under my bed.

I have no children so the negative of a gun-mounted tactical light (everywhere the light points, so points your barrel...even at your children awake in the night or whatever) doesn't apply, only the positives.

Since your G23 has rails, you should consider something mounted for your light. In that situation, I'd much prefer two handed shooting positions if given a choice.

Seems to me that .40 S&W is absolutely plenty to deal with most threats.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #19

We could all probably use more training to be honest.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My grandfather in law just gave me a Pelican rated at 74 lumens for free. It's not 120 lumens, but its free. Once I have a chance, I'll get to the range and start practicing firing one-handed and see how I do. If it's awefull and I see no chance of improving, I just might sink some $$$ into a tactical light for my pistol...

As soon as time affords, I'll take a intro and a intermediate pistol class. Eventually, when I get my Concealed carry license in the mail, I'll buy a .45 as a "treat."